Thread: Couldn't access the General Chatter forum

Default Couldn't access the General Chatter forum

I'm so happy to see these new forums as I am looking for a birth attendant/doula/midwife now! I guess it's all new but I couldn't access the General Chatter area even though it says: if you're not an attendant but have any questions about what they do, please ask away!. The list of doulas wasn't in the sticky either... it's ok, I'm not grumbling... I'll wait a while and see what happens Thanks again for starting up these Birth Attendant related forums though!!! \/

Thanks for your quick reply Shannon! Will do

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Bathsheba I will fix that! I'm still trying to set them up properly with these two jumping all over me!

I removed your post about ACU as I meant to lock that other thread, but about finding a student midwife to support you, it's a great way to help student midwives get their training as they have to do so many as a requirement for their course and I am all in favour for that.

However you have to be aware they are students of midwifery and not support students, so they are being taught the medical side and not the support side necessarily - you can also get doulas or birth attendants in training too. Often you will find too that most Doulas or Birth Attendants are already mums too. I have nothing against student midwives, we all have to learn from the start!!! You just might like to make sure you know what you want from your support person and what they can offer, so it's a positive experience, iykwim? I know some of them are past students of my teacher, Rhea Dempsey, perhaps I can get her details for you etc but the problem you might have is that they need to do follow-through, meaning they need to be with you from the start and be with you the whole pregnancy - you may find it could be too late but not sure? Worth finding out if thats what you want to do.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thanks Kelly, I'm still learning the differences between the types of care/support services. I don't know whether I will find what I'm looking for but it's somebody who is preferably already a mum, with a bit of background medical knowledge, certainly at least a good knowledge of anatomy (I don't expect medical care from this person but being able to fully explain/interpret the medical carer's opinions of my labour would be good). I'd like somebody confident but not overbearing... calm but not infuriatingly so. I'd like somebody who is placed centrally in the scientific/spiritual spectrum of birthing philosphy ie i don't want a matron and i don't want a hippy LOL. My ideal birth attendant would provide me with regular feedback as to my physical progress so I could relax and focus on the mental side of things. I like to establish a self induced meditative state in which i can use visualisations/pray/connect with my baby etc... but I also don't mind hearing an occassional calming voice telling me what's actually going on, suggesting positions etc. Also I love the idea of my poor DH being offered a bit of support. My Last 2 labours have been epic 20 hour ordeals and he needs some encouragment too!

I've written all this not in the hope that you will find me such a person Kelly... more in the hope that if my expectations are unrealistic perhaps somebody will tactfully let me know! It felt like I was one of the children in the Mary Poppins movie, writing their nanny wish-list y'know "...plays games, all sorts"! LOL Thanks again for your assistance and inclusion of the Birth Attendants forums

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

No worries LOL!!! I would probably advise a Birth Attendant or Doula in your case then, you might find the odd person or two who would be able to fulfil your wishlist but with only around 30 accepted into each midwifery university (of which there are only a few) the choice is fairly limited. I don't know if you can even choose who you get! But a good idea would be to contact the various doula / birth attendant organisations around and see if they have any students that might fit your criteria. I could also help there of course

I have 10 in my birth class (we "graduate" or finish our course tomorrow) and I can say that they aren't all hippies, which everyone seems to stereotype doulas (not saying you but even on t.v. they do this!) but they are in fact beautiful, passionate women who want to help you birth the way you intend. Many of them are also well connected into the home birthing scene, but take me, I have not had one homebirth! I hope I will have one myself one day I suppose some might consider doulas to be hippies, but it's amazing what they have to offer once you get to know them. Many of us are born with these skills inside us as women, only a few of us choose to tap into that though, or answer the call to beby the side of birthing women.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.