Thread: Doula costs... Up front or after birth?

Default Doula costs... Up front or after birth?

Hi all
    I have been researching doulas on the internet and on BB. I definitely want one but would like to know if you have to pay upfront or afterwards when you could use your maternity payment.

It depends on the Doula. But most give you payment plans. ie. pay a bit at each consultation that you see her. Which is usually around 3 times. Some Doulas do let you pay the rest after bub when you get the baby bonus but it really just depends on each Doula. So i would just contact each one near you and ask. Goodluck and well done on wanting a Doula!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I split mine up in three payments - booking deposit, then the remaining 50% bal. before the birth and 50% bal. after. Works out to be $200, $300 then $300
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I do two options - I give a fairly sizeable reduction on the fee if they want to pay upfront before 38 weeks. The second option is to pay within 3 weeks of birth and that's the full amount (which would allow for the baby bonus to come through). Either way I ask for a deposit on booking which comes off the total fee.

Most doulas are happy to talk about options depending on your individual situation, don't be afraid to ask