Thread: doulas

Default doulas

Would any of you ladies consider using a doula when you gave birth? If so how much would you expect to pay and what kind of follow up service would you expect?
    If anybody has used a doula how happy were you with the service? What did you like or dislike about it?
    I'm asking because at some point I will probably want to go back to work but I'm not interested in continuing in my old career. I'd prefer a job with some more job satisfaction. I'm thinking that maybe being a doula would be interesting. You'd get to participate in childbirth which would be great without having to do the yucky stuff that a midwife does.

My good friend was in America when she gave birth and had a doula, she had a fantastic birth story and it was absolutely amazing how much help a personal doula gave her. I would definately encourage anyone to have one it they could

Perhaps I would use a doula? Considering I have already given birth... not sure if I would use one next time around IF there is a next time around!

I agree that they are becoming more popular though.

I would of loved to have one, i think having someone there who knows what is going to happen and can keep you in control of your thoughts would of been a great help to me with first, even this time around i would of liked to of had one with me.

what is a doula?

Thanks MIn, coz I am looking wondering... The same thing?

A doula is a hired support person for pregnancy, labour and beyond. There is an article on the main bellybelly site which explains it in more depth.

*Yvette* Guest

If you can afford it and don't have anyone else suitable, absolutely. I would not want to be without one.

I had birth helpers/support people for my home births, but DH and DD only for Angus' birth coz DH didn't call anybody on our list!!

Your mum, sister, close friend, or anyone you know who you think is up to the job and who you feel comfortable with. A woman who's recently had a baby herself, or a student midwife or doula you feel comfortable with.

It's tiring for hubbies/partners, and there's so much to do. You need someone to feed and water you, encourage you, tell jokes, make phone calls, give partner a break, hold your hand, get you hot/cold wash cloths, tie your hair back, hold the bucket while you puke, fetch the midwife, adjust your pillows, change the CD, tell you you're doing well, hold the camera, rub your back, put some balm on your lips.......

The midwife may not be there the whole time, and has medical stuff they need to do, and all the little things no-one thinks of can help so much.

Yay for doulas! You've got to be on call in the middle of the night though!