Thread: I've taken the plunge - I'm going to be a Doula!

Default I've taken the plunge - I'm going to be a Doula!

Hehehe, basically what the title says, I haven't been on BB for... almost a month I think? as things have been hectic at home and I've been struggling a bit emotionally coming to terms with having another baby and everything that comes with that. Basically I've been in a rut for months going over what I want to do with my life (long term goal to own my own beading and jewellery shop and be a midwife as well, aiming a little too high maybe but hey if I didn't then I'd never do anything!) and hubby has plans for us to move interstate towards the end of the year, closer to my mum who I rarely get to see and where I will actually get some family support since my local family is too busy with their own problems right now.

So on tuesday, after a week of thorough thinking and planning and talking with hubby I've signed up for an online doula course through CBI
    I feel that doing this I'll get the best of both worlds, I can do something about my new-found passion for empowered birth, get an internationally recognised qualification (on the off chance we ever go overseas I can be a doula overseas as well), earn some kind of income (one of hubby's big gripes about me being a stay at home mum is that I don't earn an income to contribute to household expenses, and centerlink payments don't count since they are for the kids), I can still be a stay at home mum and study at home (the most important thing to me right now especially with #3 on the way and being back on semi-permanent couch rest I can't travel very far). And as a bonus I can incorporate my love (passionate addiction you could say) of gemstone beads into the mix as well for any potential clients who are into gemstones and their properties, so it's definitely the best of both worlds for me.

The perfect profession for me

Just thought I'd share my excitement with everyone, and if anyone has any advice for me as well while I undertake this course it would be extremely welcome as it's a whole new world opening up for me right now and after talking with some of the other doula's and students through the CBI group I know there is still a lot I need to learn.

If you want a study buddy, I'm always around

Same I finished last year, so if you both have any questions I loved the help from my trainer too, make use of that!

Who are/were your trainers? Is there just the one for this part of the world, or are there others? I have Linda I like her a whole lot more now, since she said part of my draft assignment was outstanding

The Yahoo group is pretty good, don't forget to join that!

Thanks guys, being study buddies would be great

I've only done a bit of the communication section so far, I'm up to the "Design a room" activity, hard to decide if I should just do what I would have liked to have available when I was going through my losses or ask around for some suggestions from others as well though, but have read a bit further ahead than that. I did 4 hours of reading through it and taking notes the other day, I counted 10.5 pages of notes and activities, all hand written so I've been taking a bit of break to let my wrist recover lol

I still need to get the recommended reading books, I'm planning on getting myself Ina May's guide to Childbirth and Silent Knife, but can't decide on the 3rd book they want us to read so I'll probably get 2 or 3 other books just to round out my reading knowledge a bit, but there's not much hurry since I'm not ready to submit my first assignment yet... I want to learn more first and see if I can do anything to work on the communication failures I've recognised in myself.

I do have one question though - when promoting yourself what things to you *need* to list? Where I am the hospital actually supplies birthing balls and beanbags, they have heat and cold packs (I've used all of these things in the hospital while in labour with Elise) and they have 2 rooms with double beds, large bath and there are showers in every room, all the birthing rooms are also single rooms, so they don't double up women in labour, and I was talking to a nurse in emergency last night who had done some of her training in maternity who said that Doula's would be highly welcome there to help the mothers, especially the first time mums, inductions and VBAC's, so it seems that they are very forward thinking.
    Although with our planned move to QLD towards the end of the year I'd have to research QLD hospitals as well... so much to do! lol

Tamrha is my trainer, which reminds me I got distracted the other day and forgot to respond to her welcome email, so I'd better go and do that now before I forget again! lol