Thread: Would it be worth it?

Default Would it be worth it?

I'm still deciding whether or not i want to have a doula at bub's birth. I already have one in mind and she sounds fab. But it's going to cost me at least $750. It's not something i'll struggle to pay for, but i'll have to save up a bit and i'm wondering if its worth it? $750 is a lot of money and i don't want to regret making the decision. But with DF most probably being away for the birth, i don't really have any other choice. I've asked my mum for suggestions but she thinks its totally not worth it, but then again she had never heard of a doula before either.

I think Tegan if you've got to choose someone and they're that expensive you'd want to totally know them and trust them,it's a hard situation hon, I'd be there for you if I were in NSW, definatly.

Have you got a sister or close Aunt or cousin, you'd be able to subsitute with? That sounds harsh doesn't it, but YKWIM hopefully.

Thats the thing though Nadia, i dont have anyone i can have there with me. I did a post a while ago explaining it all in pregnancy genral chatter i think.

If your DF is going to be away I would think that it would be a great investment. You don't want to go it alone.

I think it would probably be worth it. Especially if Jacob cant be there and your mum is going to freak out therefore making her not the best support person. Ummmm i dont know. If the money side of it is not a major issue, then i think it would be good.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Call me biased but I agree it's the best investment you can have also. It can make a huge difference on the outcome of you birth with what people and what support you have with you. The studies say it all - check out my birth support page, meet a few doulas in your area and let that do all the talking I think we don't realise how good it can be until we give it a chance. Have a no-strings attached meeting with a few and you will know if it's going to be worth it.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Most Doulas offer payment plans too so ask if you need it. We're there to help and support you, our passion is birth and if we did it for the money we would be sorely disappointed It's not something you do to make monetary riches
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Tegan - AS your aware we`ve got a Doula lined up for this birth, like you the only person I have as support is DH so having that extra support is fantastic especially considering all Mark wants to do is be there and hold my hand so my Doula will be their advising on best positions, massage, heat packs, music etc, etc. So having a Doula the burden is taken off DH as to what can he do, it must help a lot as DH has told me many times before he doesn`t like seeing his loved one in pain so a Doula will know exactly what to do to help me with the pain.

With the money aspect of things, we`re paying ours off, our Doula only requests all payments to be finalised before the birth of bubs, which is understandable.

Good Luck Tegan, if you need to know anymore about my Doula just email or PM me

i had 2 doulas at each of my 3 births and my husband was there also. i highly recommend them. maybe ask for a discount if you can't afford one. or as kelly says ask if you could pay it off. i really can't speak more highly in favour of having one with you when birthing.
    beckles

Absolutley worth it! Cheap at half the price! I wish I had a doula at Mitchells birth, I now know what a difference that would have made.
    You won't regret it and it sounds like you like her alot so I say go for it!

Lulu - I met your doula at the expo! She came and said hello.
    Kelly xx

Isn't she lovely? I'm her biggest fan and advocate!

That's the thing and a big challenge - most Doulas / Birth Attendants are lovely and want the best outcome for mum (what mum sees as her best outcome) yet the media portrays us as hippy homebirthing chicks LOL We can see how the right support can help you feel confident in having a homebirth, but that doesn't mean we hate hospitals, Obs, midwives or anything. We're here to serve the woman and since we are hired by her, it's in our best interests to make sure she is happy and satisfied. It's also a challenge getting the message across (especially to first time mums who haven't been in the system before) that your Ob/hospital etc isn't going to hold your hand and provide all the support you expect or want. So we have a long way to go, but those who do have one don't go back
    Kelly xx

omg i soooooooo want a doula. Kell: you said you guys do everything to make us happy.....Can you wave your magic wand and make me pregnant?

LOL I wish I could danni, but then if I could, I would be a bazillionaire I'd still be doing births though, it's terribly addictive.
    Kelly xx

It's so true about the lack of support from the hospital staff... if it's not medically related they usually don't have much time to suggest positions, boost morale, fetch drinks etc. I've also got a birth attendant lined up for my third birth and even though our finances are tight my DH just knows it will be money well spent and should have done it this way last time instead of giving a private Ob $3000 to catch our baby after sleeping in a room down the corridor for most of my 20 hour labour!

Thats what it's all about! My last birth started at 4pm and I didn't get home until 11pm the next day. So if my brain is functioning, that's a 31 hour birth in which you don't sleep or leave the birthing mother, except for food / toilet breaks when appropriate. Who's going to offer you that sort of care? Not all births are that long, but we never know what baby has in store, so the simple fact of knowing she's going to be there through thick and thin is a great reasurrance for most women I work with.
    Kelly xx

Even though Elizabeth was born at 2.20am, Diane and I sat up talking till 5am! Everyone else was gone and we had cups of tea and bikkies and generally marvelled about how amazing the birth was, went over it in fine detail.
    I had only met Diane once, but had spoken to her over the phone a few times (I didn;t get her organised until about 5 weeks before my due date), so I didn't really know her that well, but her enthusiasm and support was so reassuring.
    Actually paying a doula well will make you feel better as they do so much for you. It should be fully funded by the govt to provide a doula/birth attendent for each birth. Could you imagine how brilliant that would be!