thread: young possible doula

Sep 2008

young possible doula

I am looking at becomeing a doula but I am only 19 (I will be 20 in june) I was just wondering if is going to be worth me putting out the money for it? I just dont think that anyone is going to trust what I have to say if i am alot younger than they. my main question is if I was qualified would any of you guys hire me???

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

I think if I was choosing a doula, I would do so looking at a number of things like:
    - qualifications
    - if they came recommended to me
    - their experience
    - how I connected with them, and how my partner did
    - if they supported my wishes and I felt they'd be firm enough to advocate for me.

I think if someone was warm, professional, and knew what they were doing, I could have confidence in them no matter what their age. My birth support partner was 18 when I had my first baby (she was a student midwife then) and she was an excellent support, I couldn't have asked for better. So it is possible, but I think you would need to decide whether you could convince women that you have that special something that makes you worthy of sharing in their birthing experience.

All the best.

Sep 2008

thanks heap I am a student nurse atm going to do midwifery it is my passion to work with pregnant women and their partners to help them and back them with their decisions hopefully other people see it the way you do

Oct 2006
    Adelaide, SA

I just wanted to say I think it's fantastic you want to do this and I'm sure you'll make a fantastic doula.
    It's wonderful to see a young person so passionate about the birthing choices of women, as I am sure you will be there yourself one day!
    Well done!

Jul 2008
    Cheltenham, Melbourne

I think you will make a wonderful Doula. Having a passion about the field of work you choose is a key aspect to success and your clients will be able to pick up on that passion regardless of your age. Through your own social network you will be able to find those first few clients and from there your business will grow with word of mouth.

Good luck

Sep 2008
    South West Sydney, NSW

I agree with Nelle - when I was looking into doula's recently I wasn't concerned with their age but their lines of thinking (was it similar to mine), whether we clicked (and we did - we sat talking for over 2 or so hours), their experience (are they a mum, how many births have they attended etc) and those sorts of things.

Mar 2009
    Edens Landing, Yes its actually a place

Where are you? I would consider using you now if you were looking for some experience. I'm on the Gold Coast. I'm due the end of May. Email me [email protected] if you are interested.
    Last edited by Leonie P; March 23rd, 2009 at 10:14 PM.

Mar 2009

Where are you? I would consider using you now if you were looking for some experience. I'm on the Gold Coast. I'm due the end of May.
    haha i was going to say the same thing.. but im due end of july

Mar 2009

haha i was going to say the same thing.. but im due end of july
    Its you again, I recognise your name from my other thread. I also just put my name down for a student Midwife at Griffith Logan Midwiffery.

Mar 2009

gunboat 8.1

Its you again, I recognise your name from my other thread. I also just put my name down for a student Midwife at Griffith Logan Midwiffery.
    oooh how do i do that??

Mar 2009

oooh how do i do that??
    Copy cat I just called the Griffith Uni and asked to be put through to the Nursing/ midwiffery dept. (not sure of the ph# though as I originally called Gold Coast campus and they transferred me as they don't have a midwiffery dept yet.) I spoke to someone there and said I'm 30wks pregnant and was wondering if any of the students needed a pregnant lady to follow through child birth esp seeing I want a VBA2C and that would be something a bit more difficult. The lady took down my details and I guess someone will get in contact if they are interested.
    Last edited by Leonie P; March 23rd, 2009 at 10:16 PM.

Mar 2009

Copy cat I just called the Griffith Uni and asked to be put through to the Nursing/ midwiffery dept. I spoke to someone there and said I'm 30wks pregnant and was wondering if any of the students needed a pregnant lady to follow through child birth esp seeing I want a VBA2C and that would be something a bit more difficult. The lady took down my details and I guess someone will get in contact if they are interested.

oooh haha im soo doing that!! haha stealing your idea!!!!!

Mar 2005
    Brisbane

bumping this one...

just wondering if you lovely ladies had any luck hearing back from Griffith uni?? I'm on the Gold coast too and would be interested in hearing how you went??