Thread: I always wondered how I would know that DS was ready to wean...

Default I always wondered how I would know that DS was ready to wean...

But I think that answer for us is "when your child prefers to squirt himself in the face with milk rather than suckle....". Will see if he behaves over the next few days, but otherwise I think I may be putting a stop to it!

Oh dear!
    Don't tell your DS, because it will only encourage him, but
    DS just gave my nipples a kiss the last couple of times he asked for it.

I remember my son discovering he could squirt milk! He stopped when I would put him down and stop feeding him- got on with the task of feeding then
    He was ready to wean when he would scream when getting within 30cms of my breasts...

Awww, that's sweet!

The last time my DS2 had a feed he attached himself, pulled straight off and pulled my top back down as if to say, "don't need those". And he never wanted another feed

That's very funny!

Well done on your bfing journey and if he has decided to wean himself, and extra . There are so few children who are allowed to choose the time when they wean themselves, he is very lucky to have such a good bfing Mummy!

Thanks! If I ask him to "have booboo like a baby" he will for a few seconds and then go back to playing. So I'm going to try not offering at all and see what happens.
    Funnily he hasn't worked out that what he drinks when he sucks is "milk" - he thinks that "milk" is something different that only squirts out when you squeeze!

OK, so it's a year later and I now need some help with how to finish his self-weaning.
    He's 3-and-a-half, goes days without feeding and then asks for "some booboo please". But since there's very little there and the letdown is slow he doesn't get much. He tends to then want to try a few times that day - so the next day I have much more milk, but he doesn't want it.
    It's driving me bananas.

Is it as simple as telling him they are now over? How do you prepare an older kid for the loss of "his" boobies?

All stopped now - it just became too uncomfortable for Mum.
    He doesn't seem to care too much, which is a good thing.

You have done a fantastic job bfing him for so long, Kmn!!!

I hope you are really proud of yourself. I think you deserve to treat yourself to something special, all that money you saved on abm!

Thanks - I'm a bit miffed that it ended up being my decision - but he had a pretty good run.

He's had a good run, for sure! I think I may be headed down your road of putting a stop to it, too But DS is almost 5.5yo...so yanno, it's been a-coming...!

I think he might have had his share too!
    He was putting his hand in my shirt at the shops today - hasn't done that for years....
    take care.

So far so good - He asks if he sees boobs, but accepts the explanation that his mouth got too big and strong and was hurting even though he tried hard not too, so there is no more mummy-milk.