Thread: Our journey is coming to an end...

Default Our journey is coming to an end...

Well, I'm sad but a little glad to say that our breastfeeding journey is nearing the end. We are down to just two breastfeeds a day and (no one shoot me!) the other feeds have been replaced with formula.

We had a horrible start to breastfeeding. It's all written down somewhere in the breastfeeding problems forum but basically it all started with DD gaining bugger all weight in the first 2 weeks of leaving hospital. I was told to start expressing around the clock and giving DD top ups after every feed plus I was prescribed Motillium for my supply. Not long after that, we both ended up with thrush (DD in her mouth, me on my nipples - ouch!), DD's weight gain improved so I cut back on the expressing only for my supply to drop and so did DD's weight gain so we went back to expressing and top ups. Thrush returned in my nipples (or so three separate doctors thought) and the pain was hell! Finally my lactation consultant worked out I had vasospasm in my nipples (a blood supply issue in the nipples which caused excrutiating pain after each feed for about an hour plus pain when the air temperature changed). Blood pressure tablets were prescribed for the vasiospasm around the 10 week mark, breastfeeding was finally pain free. Phew!

After all that, you can probably understand why I'm in two minds about weaning. I feel ready and so does DD as she just so damn restless on the breast now and gets so excited when she sees a bottle. I'm also really enjoying my new found 'freedom' (LOL!) but I'm a bit sad to see this special bond nearing the end.

Lately breastfeeding feels a bit weird too, not as relaxing as it use to be. It literally feels different and I'm not sure if it's my body saying 'enough' or if I'm just noticing it more as we are only breastfeeding twice a day. I can really feel her sucking now and I'm not that comfortable with it anymore. I never use to notice so it's weird that it's happening now, is that normal?

DD is so restless while feeding now too - she's constantly coming on and off, looking around, sitting up to chat to whoever is in the room, biting or pinching my nipples , scratching my chest and pulling my hair, all the time laughing at my serious response . The morning feed is much better than the evening feed though so I think she's delaying going to bed in the evening, cheeky monkey.

I didn't think we'd make it through the first month, let alone 10 months, but now I'm that close to a year, I'd really like to make it that far. Is it easy enough to continue with just one BF a day? I'm thinking about keeping up the morning feed until she is one in September. Is that easy enough?
    Last edited by Taurean; July 16th, 2010 at 06:39 PM.

You have done so well to make it so far, I didn't make it anywhere near 10 months with my first two. DD2 sounds like your DD - we are down to only 2 feeds a day (but she isn't having formula - 2 feeds is all she is interested in) and she is incredibly restless while I feed her. She got herself into a standing up position while I was feeding her today.

I hope you make it to 12 months if that's what you want to do, but if not, you have given your DD the best possible start and 10 months is a great effort (and at least 4 months longer than most babies in Australia).

Hi, there,

It's fine to breastfeed your little one just once or twice a day - and the good news is that if he has dairy in his diet - cheese, yoghurt etc you don't need to introduce formula (if you introduce bottles regularly you just have to wean them from bottles at some stage, which is a PITA!) With only a couple of feeds you can still have your freedom - they can stay with dad or another carer with a lunchbox and a water bottle. But you can still breastfeed, and they still get the great nutrition and immunological benefits of breastfeeding. As long as you feed you will keep making milk - it won't *dry up* (as mothers are sometimes told)

You have done a fabulous job hun To BF through all of that very inspirational

You can msot definitely keep up one or a couple of feeds for as long as your DD is happy to feed, perhaps do the morning and night, but when you do slow down, do it grandually, and only drop a feed over a few days and then a feed altogether over a week or so hopefully that way your supply can adjust and you can avoid Mastitis.

So proud of you and well done!!!
    Take care xxoo

No advice, but wanted to say good on you for persevering through all that you did, and congrats on making it this far x

hun, but at the same time, well done for coming so far! It is absolutely possible for you to continue with one bf for the next couple of months until you make you goal of 12 mths.

Also, have your DH take a photo of you bfing her before you stop. You will appreciate it when you look back one day.

PS I moved your thread to Weaning support as that's the more appropriate area.

Thanks so much everyone for your support and advice.

So I'm attempting to drop the evening feed but how do I do it without getting engorged or worse, getting mastitis? Do I just have to push through the pain barrier for a few nights, like when DD first started sleeping through? I've fed DD on both sides this morning and don't plan on breastfeeding her again until tomorrow morning. Do I do that, just let it go?

You may need to hand express if you start to feel uncomfortable - don't "push through", because that may lead to blockages, which are quite hard to get rid of when your baby doesn't actually want to feed that much! Just express enough to not feel swollen - and repeat during the night if you have to.

Thanks Kmn, will see what the night brings and will relieve the pressure if necessary. Fingers crossed it shouldn't be too bad as we've been gradually weaning for about a month now.

As Kmn has said, just express enough to relieve the pressure, hoping that all goes smoothly and the gradual approach is the way to go

What a great achievement with all the battles you've had - WELL DONE!!! You can keep giving your gorgeous little girl a b/f in the morning as long as she'll take it. for the end of your b/f relationship. It's so hard when they cut down.

Thanks again lovely BB chickies!

Our first night without the evening feed was fine - no engorgement and no need to hand express. DD had a lovely BF this morning so that is it for the day again. It does feel weird, a little sad, but as you said Liviam, I'll continue with the morning feed for as long as she will take it now. I've decided that stoping at 12 months makes no sense if she still wants it.