Thread: Sore breast after dropping to one BF a day (from two)

Default Sore breast after dropping to one BF a day (from two)

Hi Girls

I gave DD her last evening BF on the weekend so we are now down to one BF a day - the first feed of the day. My right breast has been her favourite for the past few months and it always seems more 'full' than my left (odd, given my lefty was the fave in the early days!). So far my breasts have been fine with the weaning but my right breast is a bit sore today. It's not engorged at all but it's aching, like muscluar pain, but it's not. It's not red or swollen so I can't work it out. It's been a few days since I dropped the night feed so is it just a 'side effect' of weaning or should I be concerned about mastitis?

TIA!

It would be a good idea to keep an eye on that, as it could be leading to mastitis. Usually dropping one feed at a time is a good way to avoid mastitis, but sometimes when they are younger (especially under 12 months) that is still not slowly enough to avoid mastitis. It might be an idea to give DD an extra small feed today, or to express some milk from that side, and see how you go from there. If it doesn't get better then it is a good idea to keep draining milk. If you start to feel feverish, see red on your breast of feel really fluey, please go and see a GP for some antibiotics. GL!

Thanks for your advice MR I gave her a tiny extra feed of the sore side and the pain disappeared. I haven't had any more pain since. Thanks again!!!