Thread: 'Australian' costume for DD

Default 'Australian' costume for DD

Hmmm wasn't too sure where to post this....

We have an Australiana party coming up for relatives moving here from overseas, and I can't work out what to dress 4 month old DD as. I don't own a sewing machine and am not a hugely crafty person, I could try but can't work out what to do!

If all else fails I thought I could print out a Happy Little Vegemite slogan and iron it onto a white jumpsuit? I'd love to do an aussie animal or something but keep drawing a blank.

Any hints or pointers? Thanks in advance

A koala would be cute Grey jumpsuit, grey beanie with cute little ears sewn on, a little spot of black facepaint for her nose (you can skip this bit lol) and you're set

I was going to suggest an animal as well. I can remember dressing up as a possum when I was little.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Tigger suit and say Tasmanian tiger!!

You could do a gumnut baby (like May Gibbs) - that would be so cute!

A gumnut baby, Cut some gumleaves out of felt & sew them onto a beige jumpsuit & a green beanie
    ETA If you're not confident with sewing you could use fabric glue to glue the leaves on
    ETA2- SNAP Krysalyss

I really love the gumnut baby suggestion - too cute.

I have to share something about aussie costumes though. Totally inappropriate (or maybe not) for your DD to wear as a bub BUT - my younger sister was in a school play as a kid with an Australian theme and she played the part of - wait for it - the Aussie Meat Pie! I'm laughing as I type now. My Poppy made her this great big costume shaped with flexible pipe for the frame and covered in brown mesh that was the actual shape of a meat pie. She wore brown tights and popped the pie frame over her head. BAHAHAHA she looked hilarious - and yes we have video footage. GOLD. Thanks for reading my little side story!

Ah ha! See this is why I love BB.....

It was getting much bigger in my head, thinking I'd have to buy fur and try and put together a suit (yep I tend to overthink things) I hadn't thought of just adding to say a jumpsuit or beanie! Poor kid, lucky I asked you all or who knows what she might have ended up as! Probably unable to move due to being wrapped in some fur contraption ha ha

I'm thinking koala or gumnut baby..... thanks everyone

ETA Infinity that sounds like a great costume! Would make a good photo too lol DH would love her to be a prawn but the idea of trying to create that totally puzzled me!

Might go for a wander at spotlight today