Thread: Christening/Baptism/Naming Day.....whats the difference? totally lost!

Default Christening/Baptism/Naming Day.....whats the difference? totally lost!

Hello all

I would really like to get DD Christening/Baptism/Naming Day...but I wouldnt have a clue what the difference is! Can anybody give me a clue??!

I was Christend. DP wasnt. We dont go to church or anything.

I really think its a lovely idea and would love it done. I have an apptointment with a man from a church in town on Thursday, but I dont want to get there having no idea!

Any info would be so gratefully appriciated! Thanks

A christening or a baptism are fairly similar. They are religious ceremonies, welcoming a person into the Christian church. In most churches a christening refers to a ceremony done at infancy, although some (like the catholic church) refer to this as a baptism. Baptism is also the name for the ceremony when an older child or adult makes the decision to join the church.

A naming ceremony is a non religious ceremony to celebrate the birth of your child with family and friends. Many people prefer this is they have no religious beliefs, as they are celebrating their child and not the joining of the Christian faith. It can be held anywhere you like, and you can have any special words, poems or symbolism that you feel reflects you and your child.

:yeahthat:

eg for you

Tank is getting Baptised in 2 weeks - he is 8yo. At the same time his cousin...Milli is getting Christened as she is 6 months old. Yet this is all being done on the same day with the same priest.

Thanks ladies

I feel as tho the church wont like me wanting to get it done as we (me & DP) dont go to church, I dont exactly intend on taking DD to church either... unless she wants to ofcouse!

A friend of mine just mentioned she got her little girl Dedicated..? Is this the same kind of thing?

DH and I have had our kids dedicated - that basically means that we dedicate our babies to God and dedicate ourselves as parents to teach our kids about God. Our family and friends stand with us and promise to support us in our role as parents and usually the whole church does as well. Some baby baptisms are similar to this as well except the pastor then blesses the baby with water. In a dedication, there is usually no water used, it is just the parents, family, friends and wider church making a commitment to raise the baby.