Thread: Christenings

Chantel_my_Angel Guest

Question Christenings

Hi, This is my first child, my daughter, Chantel is 6weeks old, her father and i are both church of England, yet are not religious but would like to get Chantel christened Church of England... Does anyone know of where i can find any information on and how to go about it all????

At your local Church - most of them have leaflets about it and the vicar will explain more when you ask. You can always call a few local Churches to see what their waiting times and pre-Christening courses are like if you don't currently attend a Church.

exactly what Ryn said, we had our children baptised catholic but did not attend church so had no idea of where to start, I just contacted a local church and they told me everything I needed to know and it was quite easy,
    good luck

Pre-Christening course??

Yeh contact your local church.. the phone number will be in the phone book.. and just enquire. With ours they asked us to come along to an information afternoon at the church, and then told us we had to go to a 4 week course and would have to continue going to church. And then the baptism (they dont call is christenings anymore) would be during their Sunday service. We arent religious either (but were born church of england/anglican). But after hearing all that we decided to go with a Naming Day (which we had last Sunday)... all our friends and family were there and it was alot more personal and such a fun a great day.
    So yeh definately look into it, but i was a bit disappointed with the system these days.

We only had to go to the church once before the actual baptism and that was for a welcoming during one of their evening church services, perhaps it is different because it is catholic unless they have changed it and in that case we will probably go with a naming day to, I wonder is it weird to have 2 of my children baptised and the others just have a naming day ????? what do you think I have often wondered about that.

Honestly, i think Naming Days are just as good if not better. We had the best day for Jesse.. we had a lovely ceremony which were were able to put together.. we had a balloon releasing for him, we got a time capsule that we got everyone to write a wish on a card and put inside for him which he'll get when he's 18.. we got candles made with his picture on them and lit them.. and everyone just felt really involved and were telling us how wonderful the day was from start to finish. I liked the idea that it was his day and his ceremony, rather than having to share it with a few other babies. We put the lords prayer in the ceremony too so we touched on god.. but i think if you make it a special day to welcome them into the world, then thats all that matters.. whether its a baptism, christening or Naming Day.