Thread: Easter baptism & choosing Godparents...

Default Easter baptism & choosing Godparents...

First Question/.
    Has anyone had their child(ren) baptised across the Easter weekend? Can you share your baptism experience?
    Jellybean is booked in with mum's twins for Easter Saturday 2008 (we got in nice and early) and i've been told it's a very different kind of service. Last two baptisms i was at were just little private sessions for maybe five babies so i just want to know if anyone can share their Easter Baptism experience.
    Bubs will also be baptised Catholic, so i guess if your child(ren) have been baptised in a Catholic Church that's also helpful! =)

Second Question/.
    How did you go about choosing godparents? Mum has always used a family member for her kids, and is beginning to make me feel like i am obligated to, but i really don't want to. I know it is a special 'task' and for someone you know will be in your babies life, so a family member is inevitably a good choice, but i just feel i'd like to include especially significant friends in such a special role.

I'm Anglican with a baby Christened in March so can't help with the first question (but YAY someone else booked this while pg - I am the only one in living memory to do so at my large Church!).

Liebling's Godparents... my mum did try to bully me into having my sister, but she (sis) is not a God-fearing woman. We chose our 2 closest friends who we felt would be a good influence on DS and who at least respect Christian beliefs (DS's Godmother is a Catholic too). Uncles and Aunts will always be special as they are uncles and aunts, but a Godparent is a way of bringing more people in! on Facebook DS's godmother is classed as "part of my family", it's that sort of relationship. We would have gone for DH's bro and my sis, only as I said, Sis isn't a great moral example and we weren't going to have one without the other. Also I think we will be having the same godparents for all our children, family members could feel missed out if you have a large family and do that.

Thanks Ryn!
    For me, Mum used family of my step-dad's who now don't speak to me and haven't been a part of my life at all (to the point where i had to use a non-catholic family member as my support person for my eucharist), so i think i may be slightly biased to family. But in saying that i guess you can never tell who will and won't stick around, friends, family or otherwise.
    As for the rest of the family,i am one brothers godparents, and he is the next brother godparent. I think it would be strange to use my godson as my child's godfather... but i have no idea!
    My best friend is Catholic, so i would really like to use her, mostly as i know she's a friend that is like a soul-mate-friend and feel that also, with her religious background it would be a steady influence, so to speak. I'm just unsure of who else to choose. I know i still have time yet (about six months, goodness me time flies!) so i was just looking for others thoughts. =)
    Thanks!

*bump*
    anyone else?

I have 3 children my 2 oldest are baptised catholic and my baby girl is being baptised on the 25th of this month, but have not had any done over easter so cant help you there, my 2 oldest were done with 3 or 4 other babies and Lucy will be done on her own as it is a very small church so I am really looking forward to the intimacy of that.

choosing godparents for us was no doubt going to be family as I know they will always be around iukwim also not to mention that pretty much all of my friends disapeared when I had my forst child so having a close friend was not really an option, I think if I had a friend that was very close to me and our child and I felt that I would like them I would choose them for sure, it is nice to have family but if you have a friend in mind and thats what you really want to do then absolutely choose them, its no one elses choice at all, friends can be like family anyway.

good luck

i was askign my priest about his, as we are catholic but my family is not - i converted to get married - and my DH is demandign that family be named as godparents.. i was told by my priest that in a catholic service, only ONE of the godparents has to be catholic, so at least i can have my sis.
    but i think its a very important decision, it shows the person what they mean to you.

btu i dotn know about he easter bit, as my church only does baptisms on the first weekend of every month adn eater doesnt tens to fall on that, plus they generaly leave that day for conversions and special baptisms - though i might as for my bub to be done.. hmm youve given me an idea!!!

Hello!

I just had my DD baptised as a Catholic last weekend (absolutely loved the day - she was a little angel!!)

I am unsure of the differences between having the Baptism at Easter or not - in the booklet I was given, there is a different prayer for the blessing of the water at Easter time, as they use the holy water that is blessed at this time of the year (which I think would be very special to have!). Apart from that the booklet didn't mention anything.

As for godparents, I chose friends of the family. My godparents were special friends of my parents and they are still around and play an important symbolic role in my life (even though I only see them rarely). I think this played a part in me wanting to have my friends as godparents. I also chose them because of their strong catholic beliefs and because I admire how they have brought up their own daughter. I would like to think that we could be similar parents. I think that uncles and aunts have their own special roles already, and I'm hoping that my DD will use her godparents to talk to, if she feels she can't talk to me or DH, in the future.

Been busy busy busy and no time for BB! But, excellent, thanks everyome for your replies!

DF and I have been discussing godparents further and have decided we'll probably go with close friends, but know we still have a couple of months to think about it, so at this stage, all is well, no stressing (except for the fact that 'christening dress - oh yeah, i'll need one of them').
    I'd really have liked to ask my step-father, he has been a wonderful father figure to me over the last three years, and an extremely special and important part of my life, even though to outsiders we do not seem to have a very deep relationship. I would love to honour him with this task as he has no other godchildren of his own, but then figured with mum's twins on the way, he'll really have his hands full with his own bubbas.

We're definitely going to ask my best friend, she is unmistakably there any time we need her - midnight trips to the doctors, sitting around with me at hospitals for six hours... and i feel that the respect i have for her, and the commitment and dedication, so to speak, that she has made to our friendship has more than demonstrated that she is worthy of the role.

Now we're just stuck with the choice of male counterpart. We felt that maybe we could ask DF's brother, but i also feel that this makes me obligated to then ask his sister, or his sister on the next child, and while DF says no, don't worry about it, i feel that the disappointment this may cause the family is not so great, and i would have it on my conscience!! So, i'm still thinking. I think aunty's and uncle's already have a special role, like *star* mentioned - so i'm really stuck. I know i'd like it to be someone who will be in my child's life for a long time, but i think i also need to harden up and take the risk that they will not be - similarly to mine, which i have not seen in at least ten years.

Anyhow, thank you all for your contributions - any further are more than welcome. As for the easter baptism, guess i shall wait and see~!! =)

It is traditional to have your maid of honour and best man as the god parents of your first child. As they supported you in your marriage so too should they support you with your family. If this covers your desire to have your best friend then you should ahve the best man and you can explain it to your family that way. Tell them that family will be considered for future children, just to keep them off your back.

We had our baptism with 3 others on the first Sunday after new year,in a catholic church, I'm not sure as to the sharing the baptism, but I would ask at the church how many have booked in for that day and how many they would allow to book in.

It isn't that bad to share your baptism as you have the "function" after for the private time.

Can't help with the Catholic Baptism as we aren't Catholic.

For choosing Godparents I can answer now seeing as we asked them on the weekend For Zander we asked one of our oldest friends & his DF (now DW). We chose them because they are close friends & thought they'd be really good to have in Zander's life. For this little bubba we have chosen my best friend & her DH to be Godparents. They are just wonderful people & sharing our parenting ideals almost exactly!

Oooh the best man, now that's an idea.
    I had never actually heard that before, but that's an excellent idea to ponder upon.
    As we are not yet married, it's not concrete, and there's no big plans as yet, but we're both confident on who our best/first man/bridesmaids will be, so maybe that's an idea.
    Thank you alittlegrubi!

Hi Sarah!
    I'd have liked to have done it this way, but obviously being younger and still mostly around the uni atmosphere we barely know anyone in healthy, ongoing relationships, so it's not the best idea for us. It's something i will keep in mind for the future though! I think, although i am catholic, because i am not particularly religious, friends who shares our views on parenting would be an excellent way to choose.