Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposals

Default Proposals

Can you lovely ladies share your stories on when you were proposed to, or did you propose to your DP?

My other half sugested we get married, or at least engaged. He has been saying it for awhile. MY idea of proposal is romantic and unexpected, yet his idea is we buy a ring and thats that! lol. He said he would like me to pick the ring, as I would be the one wearing it, and I don't mind that, his idea is a lot of bling, mine is simple and stylish, but I would expect it to be 'us' picking it out. We were out shopping the other day and we were window shopping at the jewellers, and looking at rings, I said I like those 3, and he was like 'whatever, they all look the same to me, just decide what you want and I will get it!' Am I expecting too much or is this the way men are?

god be happy your getting a ring.. im not! lol

Maybe it is just a man thing! I said to him when I pick it out and get it, are you going to actually ask me or not? He grumbled and stormed off..... or maybe I am just with MR Major Grumpy! lol. I am sure he means well!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

My DH took me to a beach and got down on 1 knee and propsed with a pretzel !!!! as i always said i wanted to pick ring!!

My brother just proposed to his fiancee and he took her up a mountain and propsed with a ring.

So yes there are some romantic ones out there!!

Lol no, I think men are usually about the same as yours hahaha... they don't care so much about the finer details, the end result is what matters, and 99% of men who put on the big song and dance when it comes to proposals are only making a big production out of it because they know the missus will have them in the doghouse for weeks if she doesn't have a lavish rock and a riveting story to show off to her friends!

My DH and I didn't do much at all regarding proposals etc. We had been to dinner with my parents when I was aobut 4 months pregnant, and we'd had my parents throwing baby names at us all night... when we were at home by ourselves, I just said to DH, 'We should just get married - do the legal bit now so that we all share the same last name, and then do the white-dress-big-cake-party-thing later on when I haven't got a gut on me'...
    He wasn't fussed either way whether we actually got married or not (his mum and dad were never married and his stepmum and dad were together 17 years without getting married, so he's pretty lax about it, I was raised to be a bit more 'traditional'), but he knew it was important to me that we do things the 'right' way (although tbh I never cared until I actually got pregnant, then my upbringing kicked in and I had this insane urge to make things 'official' and make sure there was no confusion about who belonged where, I wanted us all to have the same name and identify as a family unit), so the more we discussed doing 'just the paperwork', the more he was into it.
    A week or so later, he just handed me a bit of money and said, 'Go buy your ring', which was fine by me because he couldn't really come shopping with me and I actually prefer to go jewellery shopping alone, so I went and bought the first ring that I liked the look of that was within our budget (it actually only cost me $50 including $20 to get it resized, if you believe that - no, it's not a real diamond but it sparkles just the same!!), and I still wear it every day and adore it. (Now that we're in a better position financially I'm pushing for a 'replacement' that is actually 'real' but tbh I probably will just keep wearing my CZ until it breaks!)

So, there was no real 'proposal' with DH and I... we pretty much just said, 'Let's get married', bought a ring and a dress and filed the paperwork and then six weeks later we were officially Mr and Mrs!

I don't think you're expecting too much, we deserve to be spoiled, but yeah, I think men are pretty casual about the whole deal... maybe the engagement isn't much of a big deal for him, but he will throw himself into wedding preparations once you set a date!!
    Good luck hun, congrats Wish you guys the best!

Awwwww... sure is one of those topics that once breeched lol, can cause all kind of issues!

I had always told my DF, when and if he ever propsed, to please at least be creative.... and BOY was he!!!!

Well, the way my DF proposed was especially special, although a lot for his passion

DF is obsessed with the V8 supercars, and more so with Craig Lowndes... Long story short, i kinda know Craig Lowndes' wife Natalie and have her mobile number..without me knowing he had gotten her number from my phone and organised a HUGE proposal...

So, it was time for the 2007 v8 race at Winton... i was 35 weeks pregnant with #2 and very sick with a cold so i was telling him to go without me, just go with his mates. He kept refusing, and said i had to go, as we had planned to go together... so anyway i went. His inlaws watched our DD and we were going to make it our last weekend together before #2 arrived.

So, we get there (was a 2 hours drive).... He pulls up to this little kinda office box, goes and gets an envelope and comes back... gets in the car. As we go through the gates he said our name should be down for Triple eight.... showed them these Triple eight passes (triple eight is who craig lowndes drives for), and the guy usher's us through ahead of everyone. I looked at him and said "um how?" and he just said never mind.... so we get there and he races me down to the team vodafone merch truck and we buy jackets, then makes me walk really quickly (which doesnt happen when your a few weeks off popping lol).. to the pit area and we go straight up to the back of the T8 vodafone pit... craig lowndes was talking with his team and as we stood there came up and started shaking our hands.

I couldnt believe it, but was excited as it had been ages since we had seen him, and more than anything was happy for my DF as he idolised craig.

Then i noticed all these camera's around us, some channel 7, some the hearald son, one v8 extra and i thought ok, weird... hope they dont get me on film. Must be just doing some T8 and their fans thing....

Then craig grabs my hand and says come in here, and usher's me toward their cars in the pit, i was trying to say "no no my BF is the crazed fan not me " when then my focus was taken to the back of craigs car by craig. This is what it said;

"Becc will you marry me? (DF's name) "

I just froze. and then started laughing. Then all the video camer'as and photographer's were all around me, and my DF got on one knee.... he grabbed out a ring from his jacket and gave it to me.....

lol

In the moment, he actually didn't say anything.... his back locked up so he was in an excruciating amount of pain.... so i ushered him up to cuddle me, obviously saying yes lol

It all happened so fast, but the next day it was in the herald sun, and the week after on TV (V8 extra is a v8 series weekly program)....

It sure was more for his benefit, lmao BUT, was an exceptionally memorable way for him to have proposed.

OH and how did he organise it all? using Craig's wife's mobile number he got in contact with Craigs PR guy and together they organised the whole lot!!!!

Cant wait to see what your guys does for you!!!

Papillon! Holy crap what a way to propose you lucky girl haha!!
    My DF came home with a ring one day (I didn't know, and the week before i had been explaining to him that if we were to ever get engaged I would want a certain style of ring - which I find out later he had already purchased mine, and the one i described was nothing like it!) He put it on top of my mobile phone and called it, when I went to answer this ring was sitting on top of it. I was fairly gobsmacked! I walked out to the lounge holding it infront of my like it was going to bite me and asked him "what's this!?" to see him sitting on the chair with a huge grin on his face and he just said "So, willya?" ><;; Not hugely romantic but I love the way he proposed! It's so him, just cheeky and spontanious! And I love my ring, even though it's not what I had in mind, I think he has a better idea when it comes to what jewelery suits me compared to what I do, suprisingly enough!

When dad proposed to my mum (well... if you can call it that!) He came home with a ring and said "here, put this in the draw until we're ready to get engaged" And that was it!!

I think most guys are pretty blase about how they go about proposing these days. I think the most important thing to remember is that despite how he does it, he obviously wants to be with you and loves you and has the intention of staying with you until you're both old and grey

I nearly threw my ring out!!!

DF was never going to be all too creative with his proposal.
    I came home from work about 5 months pregnant to a bunch of flowers. Now DF NEVER buys flowers as "they will die anyway... "
    I was ok... what have you done???? thinking his brought something or broken soemthing LOL
    He told me nothing... just wanted to surprise me. so i unwrapped the flowers put them in a vase and thre out the paper.
    DF asked me where the card was - uuuuhhh what card???

So.. i went scavengering through the bin of the card and in there was a ring and a note.. Will you marry me??? of course the anwer was yes!!!!

the ring some something i would never have picked in my life but i love it!!! I kept sropping hints about what i liked...but DF has great taste in jewllery too

In a hot pink teacup (I love both those things) at Disneyland. He had picked the ring earlier.

No I don't think you're expecting too much, but I also get flowers for all occasions and also just because. I'm also not sure you can convert the unpreachable.....

My DH proposed to me by taking me to our favourite beach and writing "Lisa, will you marry me" in the sand. It was so beautiful! He then got down on his knee and presented me with a ring I had pointed out to him previously as being one I loved. It was all very sweet.

Mine asked in the carpark of our local shopping centre, with a ring i picked but didnt know what it was for. Wasnt a proper few thousand dollar ring was like $150 ive had 3 engagement rings. all get more expensive lol be lucky he wants to get married lol

Mmmm well lets see BHL and I were 17 and BHL said while we were sitting in his car....

What would you say if I asked you to marry me

Me as I was a little taken back as we had been going out for only 4 mths said

Um you would have to ask me proberly first....

The next day ( we were in the Navey in Cat school ) I woke up to the girls in the female dorm screaming my name and telling me how very happy they were for me... BHL had told someone who told someone and on and on it went....

He now want amit to most of this apart from actully asking me in the car....

the sadest part was he asked me before he had gotten a ring which is fine if it meant I was the one to pick it out, but no he took another girl out with him to help him pick it out.... lucky it has now been 12 years of wedding bliss so it all worked out in the end...

DH proposed twice. Once officially and once unofficially. He hadn't asked my dad for the unofficial one, we say he only did the official one.

The official one was my 18th birthday. He took me on a hot air balloon ride. When you go on a hot air balloon they make you fill out all these forms - Including your weight. Thankfully I am not so embarrased about that!! But it certainly is interesting having to publicise your weight at 5am on your 18th birthday!! We were flying over the Barossa Valley when he asked, he didn't have room to get down on 1 knee. Those baskets are small!! The hot air balloon company included a Champagne Breakfast in the deal so we followed it with a lovely breakfast, and then my mum had to drive his car as were both on our Ps so had to have a 0 blood alcohol level. It was very romantic, and something that I had wanted to do for ages. We chose the ring together almost a year earlier, when DH had just gotten home from basic training.

double post Opps

Default Sweet

Hi i dont think your expecting to much. and congrats when it does happen.

My DP and i had been talking about getting married and then i found out i was pregnant so his 1st question was would you like to get married i said NO i had no intentions of getting married in a rush and being FAT in my weding pictures so i told him maybe later.
    DS was born in may 2009 and it wasnt until April 2010 that we started looking for rings and i had been planning secretly behind his back the WHOLE wedding so that when he did ask again we were ready to just get married without a BIG rush. then April the 18 he said comone lets go shoppig which wasnt a surprise as we alsways went shopping and then he stopped at the jewlers adn said go in and pick your ring i was OMG YAY so i went in and picked out my ring which is GORGEOUS and expected to be able to put it on then but he took it and shoved it in his pocket and well wasnt i ****e i wanted it right then. lol

so i kept asking him for 2 days so when can i have it and then 2 days later in the afternoon my phone beeps and its a message from him who was at this stage i thgouht changing our DS nappy . the message read Samantha will you marry me? i thought he was joking so ive gone to find him and he was kneeling down in our doorway with our DS in his lap and they were both holding me my ring. it was SOOOO sweet and i was very happy with his choose.

In June 2005, my Husband Gary planned a surprise weekend away for us to Eungella National Park in North QLD, he booked us into a beautiful Horse Riding Resort as I am horse mad, we had our own cabin complete with campfire, outdoor shower all by ourselves in the wilderness, we went horseriding on the Saturday with a big group, he had the ring in his pocket the entire day and was so nervous but I had no idea!! Nothing happened on the Saturday but we had an amazing day riding and a gorgeous night in the cabin

On the Sunday he had organised us to go Horse Riding on our own all morning, we had a great time, the weather was perfect, the scenery was outstanding and we were having so much fun, we came to this little creek in a field and being a not so accomplished rider Gary said he needed to take a quick break, he got off his horse and asked me to hold it, went and splashed his face in the creek and came back to me while I was still on my horse, he asked for a kiss and as we were kissing a felt him fumbling around in his pocket, out came the box and he got down on one knee and had a speech prepared which I will remember the exact words to forever...

He said, "Alicia, I am in love with you and nothing would make me happier than for you to become my wife. Will you marry me?!"

I was so surprised! The first words out of my mouth were "Are you for real?!" But in an excited OMG way! He sort of gave me a funny look for a second and then I said "OMG YES!" and flew off my horse got down on the ground with him and we were both crying and hugging, so so soooo happy, then he reminded me of the ring!! I hadn't even looked at it!! It was PERFECT! My dream ring! The exact ring I had described to him! A .75 Carat Princess Cut Diamond with 8 smaller Princess Cut Diamonds, 4 on each side of the larger one.. We immediately rode back to the stable holding hands on cloud 9, we got back to the stable and everyone there rushed to us asking "Has it happened?!" They were in it all along, lucky it had or they would have blown the surprise! We were so excited to get home and tell our friends and family that we didn't even stay the extra night he had booked! When we got home I found out that everyone had known all along! Gary had told all of my friends and family what he had planned and they were all waiting for our call

It was the most amazing, beautiful, thoughtful and romantic proposal I could ever imagine and the happiness I felt then has only ever been topped on our Wedding Day last year, which was equally as perfect! We just found out we're pregnant this morning so I think that amazing happiness is about to sweep us over again in 8 months and we're so excited!

My favourite quote for him is "To the world, you may be just one person, but to this one person, you are the world" - Too many people get caught up sweating the small stuff and taking their partners for granted. Every couple is going to have problems, it's inevitable but I think the trick to a happy marriage is appreciation, gratitude and recognition that marriage is a privilege not a right - You have to learn to argue without hurting each other and acknowledge that no one is perfect and never will be! Amazing men do exist, but that doesn't mean they're perfect! I got so lucky with my imperfect Husband, we're so blissfully happy and I only wish everyone could meet "The One" and be as happy as we are...

Awwww whether it be pregnancy emotions or just retelling the story, I am feeling so teary with happiness right now, I'm off to tell my Husband once again just how absolutely amazing he is to me...!

smiles4u Guest

Smile

My best friend was proposed to over a choc shake at Macca's when she was 19 ... they ' were ' married for 19years

... Oh, Kim love the tea-pot idea at Disneyland - that's just so sweet

P.S - I've been proposed to 3 times (yep, 3 different guys) ... but still not married, i get cold feet, LOL !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden_Sam_Adam View Post
    Hi i dont think your expecting to much. and congrats when it does happen.

My DP and i had been talking about getting married and then i found out i was pregnant so his 1st question was would you like to get married i said NO i had no intentions of getting married in a rush and being FAT in my weding pictures so i told him maybe later.
    DS was born in may 2009 and it wasnt until April 2010 that we started looking for rings and i had been planning secretly behind his back the WHOLE wedding so that when he did ask again we were ready to just get married without a BIG rush. then April the 18 he said comone lets go shoppig which wasnt a surprise as we alsways went shopping and then he stopped at the jewlers adn said go in and pick your ring i was OMG YAY so i went in and picked out my ring which is GORGEOUS and expected to be able to put it on then but he took it and shoved it in his pocket and well wasnt i ****e i wanted it right then. lol

so i kept asking him for 2 days so when can i have it and then 2 days later in the afternoon my phone beeps and its a message from him who was at this stage i thgouht changing our DS nappy . the message read Samantha will you marry me? i thought he was joking so ive gone to find him and he was kneeling down in our doorway with our DS in his lap and they were both holding me my ring. it was SOOOO sweet and i was very happy with his choose.
    1.O.M.G.. your from the future.... oh i have SOOOOOOOOOO many question;s for you!! where do i start??!! (p.s im sorry i just couldnt help myself)

2. What a GORGEOUS way to do it... on his knee, holding it with your DS... i teared up! awwwwwwww

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast