Thread: Recognition of Marriage within the Catholic Church?

Default Recognition of Marriage within the Catholic Church?

So this isnt even on the cards but I have wondered for a while.

When I was at school, many many years ago, we were taught that if you have a garden wedding then it will not be recognised by the catholic church? Is that correct? We were told that in order to have the marriage recognised by the catholic church that you needed to be formally married within the house of God. So is this correct?

If thats the case and I wanted to, would a catholic preist even be allowed to marry a couple in a garden wedding?

What about a chapel? Would it be recognised?

Thanks

Yep, it's basically the content of the ceremony and not the location that counts in the Catholic Church.

Many priests are happy to conduct marriages in other locations, but be aware it's considered more respectful towards the sacrament of marriage to provide some sort of shelter - ie a verandah, pergola, marquee, etc rather than just under the sky.

it depends on the priest. mine was a garden wedding with a priest doing the ceremony.

As I understand it, the catholic church will recognise a marriage as long as a catholic priest conducts the ceremony. I have been told that my marriage, for example, will not be recognised because I had a Church of Scotland minister do the ceremony, and if I decided to worship again as a catholic I would need my marriage re-blessed.

Traveller, that's kinda true...there is some sort of reciprocal rights that goes on, where the RCs recognise some of the sacraments conducted in certain other christian churches - not sure which ones, and probably depends on the differences in the the core teachings, etc.