Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too geeky a theme for reception??

Red face Too geeky a theme for reception??

DF and I are starting... slowly... to plan our wedding.
    We've got close to two years to plan, so i'm not in any hurry, but we feel if we had ideas, etc, we'll have more incentive to save money and do things like... lose all that pregnancy weight...

We're aiming at having a more traditional church ceremony, and then want a fun reception that reflects somewhat on us. Because of this, we were thinking of maybe having a theme...
    Now, today when i was looking at pictures of wedding cakes (yes i'm already thinking about cake, ROFL), i found this awesome super dooper totally wicked cake (you creative cake makers like Cai would probably be very impressed...)...

AND... i was sort of convinced it would be "perfect" - I guess you'd say it's very suited to us.

So is a Super Mario Theme too geeky for a wedding reception?
    We're both totally in love this cake... See Here. And the cake toppers are the cutest things out...

OMG that is SOOOOO cute!!
    Totally not my style, but if it's what you like - go for it!!

Yesss...thats perfect..i love it!

Hey,

Well not my style but I think it's very cute and when your paying for it if you both love it go for it. You don't have to have the whole reception in that theme. That cake would be very very expensive though!

That cake would be very very expensive though!
    I can only imagine!!!!

Love it! Very cute

Would he be Mario & you the princess?

Since we're sharing wedding cakes, this would be my absolute fave, and if we ever have our "wedding" I'd love something like this

I would *love* a Hallowedding

OMG those cakes are awesome.

Cailin, DP loves that cake.

I don't think I could do a whole wedding themed with Super Mario, but the cake itself looks great. And yes, VERY expensive.

Personally I think it looks like a kids birthday cake, not a wedding cake and I reckon a lot of your guests could think the same. That said, it's your wedding and if it's what you want it's your choice.

lol thats funny. Doesn't say wedding cake to me but hey if you & DP like it & it screams "YOU" (and DP of course) then go for it!

CUUUUTE! It's your one day to be the princess & have everything you want & if that's what you want, I say go for it. It will be talked about for years to come I imagine.

And Cai, OMG you have to have that cake!!!

That is too cute Ash!!! Maybe you could have that as your cake but not as a whole theme for the day IYKWIM? Maybe you could pull out the some of the bright colours from the cake and use those to give it a funky bright theme but not just Mario as the 'theme" If that makes sense! Lots of weddings have a colour theme rather than beach etc! Just a thought!!!!

A person's wedding day is a personal representation and form celebration. Too many people follow the cookie cutter mould of a wedding, and most people hate it too! So I say go with your heart, do what you want and if that involves a bit of Mario love then all the better and as Sarah says people will remember it forever

no way is that too geeky! I think it's top idea if it's you.
    For your invitations you could have Mario battling one of the enemies and the Princess in the background....then when they get to the wedding there will be the two of you on the top of the cake....happily ever after....
    cover the tables with vines......oooh and redfortune cookies to represent those round redflowers...then the guests could take them home.....

Heres a couple more for you ashnant:

Diamond Vues: Wedding Cakes For Geeks.

I know i have seen more on another website but i just cant fine them!!

I think its cool - DF is an uber geek so its gonna be acceptable to all if we do something like that - but will more likely be a Linux Penguin or something

AND we will be sending out our invitations via email to most people - totally acceptable coming from nerds, cheaper too!!

Ash - I love it esp if it is fun you are going for remember your day and there are no rules but that you and DF are happy and Good Luck it is a fun time I can reccommed an excellent and reasonably priced photographer if you would like?

LOL @ Emailed invites! Totally

I helped my gf do a tux cake for her DH's birthday.

If Paris' godparents got married, I daresay they'd either have a geek wedding or a pinup wedding, it would be a matter of who won out on that one LOL!

Marc's not a big enough fanboi of anything... So I'd get it my way LOL!

DoubleK Guest

that is the cutest cake i have ever seen!
    i say go for it, its your day, do what the hell you want to do!!!

i agree with using the colours too, as to not stress you out incase you cant get everything mario that you want.. maybe like.. red tablecloths with the big white dots (you could sew them on yourself!)
    you could somehow make (or get someone to help you, depending on how crafty you are) table centre pieces using those flower thingys with the teeth.. LOL i have all kinds of ideas floating through my head...

you could walk into the reception to the mario music...

Oh Oh Oh! You could decorate little boxes with question marks as bonboniere's

LOL @ this rate the BBG's will have your wedding set out for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast