Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: your mother's wedding dress

Default your mother's wedding dress

Quote Originally Posted by someone
    Women spend thousands on their dress, then they pay close to $100.00 to have it dry-cleaned and packed and guaranteed, that dress will never adorn anyone's body ever again.

I've yet to meet one woman who wears their mother's wedding dress.
    This got me thinking...... I've never met anyone who wore thier mother's wedding dress either yet I know so many women who have saved thiers for thier daughter.

Did you wear your mother's wedding dress? Or get it remoddelled or use the fabric?

I wanted to wear my mother's dress, but her little brother had thrown up on it and the stains never came out, so chose against wearing a sick-stained dress!

I want to wear my dress again when we renew our vows for our 25th/30th anniversary... it will take me another twenty-odd years to diet back into it!

I doubt Paris will want to wear my wedding dress, although techincally it wasn't a wedding dress... I would never have wanted to wear my mothers.... but I probably wouldn't have fitted into it either She was a stick... and lets just say I have curves

When I renew my vows though I intend to go all out, and even though it won't be white *shudder* it may be something she'd wear... but not necessarily to a wedding. Who knows though... her tastes are eerily similar to mine atm and apparently I am no longer cool (thanks darling).

*hugs*
    Cailin

my cousin wore my Aunties wedding dress as her Deb dress and she looked great in it.

Same Louise - a friend of mine wore her mum's dress as her Deb dress.

I wore my Mums dress for dress ups when I was a kid - I am afair bit bigger in height and build than my Mum LOL. We went to a wedding last year where the bride used her grooms mothers' wedding dress (no daughters) and used the fabric to make herself a new dress. it looked amazing too.

Mine is sitting in the top of my wardrobe and neither of my girls will have the same figure to be able to wear it. I am seriously thinking of selling it actually.

My mum had this FANTASTIC short little number (60s wedding), all floaty and white. I will find some excuse to wear it someday - I'm not getting married again, but it is really timeless dress and deserves another go!

I was unable to fit into my mums dress and the style probably wouldn't not have suited my wedding day (beachy) anyway. However, we have used her wedding dress to make a christening outfit for my nephew. Hopefully will also be able to use for my kids as well. My wedding dress was a Mr K creation, usually a bridesmaid dress style but was able to get it in white. Looked stunning and really suited the occasion. I have looked into getting it dyed so that it can be reused but at the moment, it is stored at my mums house.

My mum had a beautiful mexican wedding dress that my dad bought secretly for her as her mother was controlling her wedding (it was a shotgun, she was 17 and pregnant with me). In the end, mum was too scared to wear it and wore what her mum had preorganized.

When I got married, I really wanted to wear the mexican dress my mother couldn't wear. But I never did, I can't remember why (gosh it was 10 years ago almost ), but I think it was something to do with the fabric and it being quite old and falling apart a bit.

Maybe next time.

I got rid of my wedding dress along with my marriage a few years ago. It was already dated bad then, there is no way my daughter would wear it one day. It was puffy and sequinned and nothing like me or her anyway.

My mum threw hers out when moving to Aus - she said it had some rust stains on it from metal pins that she had used to pin it to the coathanger.

It was a beautiful simple long flowy dress, if I had the same figure as her I would have loved to have worn it if not for my wedding but for something else. Unfort I got my boobs from my dads side of the family I would have had no hope in hell!

I like the idea of using it for a christening outfit.

I thought about wearing my mums dress but decided not to. She was married in June and it was cold so she had a heavy crepe fabric with long sleeves and I was married in January on what turned out to be a 35 degree day.
    I wouldn't have altered it at all so I'm glad I didn't wear it. It's very nice and is sitting preserved in a box in my linen cupboard though!

My mums dress was hideous!!! Not a hope!

But...we did use the fabric to make my communion dress

My mums dress was BLUE..... with frills and dangly bits..... id be ashamed to be seen in it!!

Claire Guest

No I have no idea what would have happened to my mother's wedding dress. But I have a picture of her and my father on their wedding day and she looked very pretty.

It was a cream coloured, long sleeved high necked dress, floor length. From memory I think it had either buttons or pleating down the front.

My father had a velour type material suit, in brown with a huge knotted tie, big lapels and flairs.

I went to a wedding in 2001 where the bride wore her mums dress. It was back in fashion again, she looked stunning and I am sure she saved a heap!

I couldn't wear my mums wedding dress even if I wanted too - she was way smaller than me when she got married! But I didn't want to wear it anyway - my parents had divorced when I married DH so to me the dress had bad vibes.

I would have loved to wear mums dress but she was 7months pg with me when she and dad had the official wedding party - so her dress was off no use to me - and it would have been extra special as it was made my my grandma (mums MIL) who passed away before I got married. I wanted to use mums veil but I had an ivory dress so the colour of mums white veil didnt match. I will ask mum though if I could use the fabric and make a christening gown if I have a little girl.

Lisa

My mum wore her Deb dress for her wedding dress. I don't really like the dress but even if I wanted to wear it I couldn't as dad got a bit happy with his cigarette at the reception and burnt a hole (about the size of a CD) in the dress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast