Thread: Anyone moved forward on their ideas?

Default Anyone moved forward on their ideas?

I was just wondering the other night if any of you lovely ladies had made any moves forward on your business ideas? Don't be afraid to say that you have changed your mind or that you have worked out the your idea wont work for you. That is all part of the process

Whilst I have my bookkeeping business, for ages I have been tossing around other business ideas, well it looks as though I have settled on the basics of one that just needs more refining. So hopefully I will have something to launch soon. I have lined up the main supplier, organised the web designer and host, just need to think of the business name and get all associated stuff registered. Oh and funding has been sorted.

ticvb Guest

Good luck Astrid...

Our candle business is going great guns, and we are doing the Dandenong Show in just over a week, so we are excited about this as well.

Take it one step at a time, and climb over every hurdle. Persist in aiming for your goal, and you can make yourself a success....

Astrid,

Sounds like your almost ready to go! thats great. Im in the process of finalising an agreement with a US company to manufacture and distribute their product here in oz. it is available in Europe and the US and i cant wait to let everyone know about it here. Still not able to tell everyone what it is but hopefully once the agreement is signed I can get moving. I too have the web design and hosting ready to go, I have registered my business name, and now have to find out whether or not I have to register for GST (but that would depend on the business earnings). I am hoping that this takes off and I can work from home. No kiddies as yet but we are trying really hard for one!! If I can set myself up now then I never have to worry about going back to work.

Are you just distributing??

The only thing that concerns me know is the manufacturing cost, might have to take a loan to get that done! Otherwise everything so far has been pretty low cost.

Hope all you other lovies are having success!

Lisa

Jodie259 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ticvb View Post
    Our candle business is going great guns, and we are doing the Dandenong Show in just over a week, so we are excited about this as well.
    I should be going to the D'nong show - so I'll keep an eye out for you! I was thinking today that I would like some aromatherapy candles... do you have those??

As for my business plans...

I am making steps to sell my salon that I have owned for 13 years. It's like a baby, and it's a bit hard to let go.

My online business is picking up and that is without any effort or advertising/promotion. So if the salon goes, then I can put 100% effort into getting that expanded.

And I was offered Victorian Distributorship of the Ahava products... just before I fell pregnant. I was never able to get that off the ground - but when my DS settles (ie: sleeps!), and the salon is sold - then that will be another option for me to focus on.

Quote Originally Posted by neverplan View Post
    my 4th idea is manufacturing a new product (idea about 4mths ago). nearly finished the prototype but still don't know about how to fund it. lisa how did you go about doing manufacturing? not sure where to start on that...
    Neverplan - sounds like your a busy bee! Well for me it was easy re the manufacturing as the product has already been designed and manufactured in the US so all I had to do was approach companies that make those types of products here in Melbourne.

If its a unique design, then you should register your design so that it cant be copied by another mob. Then maybe you can do an agreement with a manufacturer re payment plan or something? Or get a sponsor??

Good luck - let me know how it all goes..

Lisa

My DH is still against my idea, and I need his web-help to set up a website! I know what I want to do on it and stuff, but have no idea how to get it all set up. Or things like Pay Pal stuff - I'd want to do Pay Pal only just because it seems a lot easier and I don't want to take responsibility for other people giving me their bank details. I did plan on having the site ready to go pre-baby then when I was into more of a routine actually starting with it, but I need a lot of help!

Nice to see that some of us have moved forward. What I am doing is not going to make a tonne of money (if at all), but it is helping out a friend who makes some beautiful stuff and is not interested in computers. I am mainly doing it for the experience. If I am lucky I may come across others like my friend who are happy for me to sell online on their behalf.

ticvb Guest

Jodie,
    Look forward to seeing you at the Show, we will also be doing candle making demonstrations for the whole weekend - so you can see how easy it is...

Astrid, it's sometimes about little steps. It is not always about making tons of money (although that is always good!!), as long as you learn heaps along the way...

Cheers!!

Hi everyone,

For all those of you who are onselling - how did you get in contact with a mafacturer? Can you just call around trying to find somebody to sell to you wholesale so you can onsell it?? I would like to try and sell stuff on ebay from a wholesaler, i see people doing it, and i often wonder how they got the contacts.

I have an invention, well less of an invetion and more of a design, its something i saw overseas, and luckily have one so i can show people what i'm talking about. I checked out IP Australia and the design does not seem to be registered, so i'm going to try and register it as my first thing, and then work on getting an Australian Prototype made up (i'm lucky my mum does silver jewellery making, like melting blocks of silver down and makig stuff), so i might get her to make one out of silver (normally they are made out of very cheap metal), but it might be cheaper to get her to make an expernsive one then try and get a mould for a cheap one to be made..

From there i'm a little stuck about actually finding somebody to manafacture it and then how do i market it & distribute it??

I'm just slowly working on the idea when i have a chance, reading some info about new inventions.

My other idea was i bought this great baby product from America off eBay, haven't seen them in Australia. I was thinking of contacting them and trying to distribute it to baby stores here... Although with shipping and everybody taking a cut, i don't know if there is much money in all the effort?

Good luck with everyones ideas!

Yael

Yael,

My product too is from the US but b/c of shipping costs and import costs, its cheaper for me to make it here. so im drawing up an agreement with the US owner to give me a license to manufacture the product and use the name, and I pay them a royalty fee.