Thread: Bookkeeping - suggested courses

Default Bookkeeping - suggested courses

Hi All ,

I am looking at doing some general bookkeeping from home for small businesses. I think the main course I need to do is MYOB - Bookkeeping kinda thing.

Does this sound right?. Anyone do this currently and have suggestions?

Depends on your background. Are you already in accounts/bookkeeping/accounting? If so then a MYOB course would be handy and maybe even a Quickbooks course just so you can attract a few extra clients. If you have not really dealt a lot with GST or payroll then a 1 day taxation course which comes with a user friendly manual would be needed.

If you have little or no accounts background, then I would suggest finding something else and doing a course at Tafe or a couple of basic accounting subjects at Uni. HTH

Yep I agree. The MYOB courses don't really teach you how to keep books, only how to use their software.

If you need to learn the basics of actual bookkeeping, then yeah, do some kind of TAFE course.

Can you do an accounting/ bookkeeping course by correspondence?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Natalie~ View Post
    Can you do an accounting/ bookkeeping course by correspondence?
    Probably, I suppose if anyone is interested then they should be able to google it or just call their local tafe.

Unfortunately bookkeeping is just not about entering invoices into a program, it is a lot more, tax, payroll, general compliance obligations. To work for another business as a contractor, it pays to have experience along with an education. It helps to have worked for a number of businesses learning procedures and working in different environments so you know what you are doing when you are give a clients books and expected to do them in minimal time.

I need to look it up again, but I believe there is talk of making making bookkeepers certified and the requirement for liability insurance.

Im not sure where in Sydney your located, but theres a mob that DH done his course through. It was called KIS accounting, located in Wollongong (and probably travel afar too), but they come to you and are lovely people....and dont charge a fortune. If ur intrested just google the name.

Astrid - the tax office have been tossing up what to do about bookkeepers for a LONG time as well. Coz we're not supposed to do BAS's.. it's considered tax advice, and we're not registered tax agents ($25,000 fine for preparing tax documents!). I always keep in close contact with my client's Accountants. We never drew up formal documents to say that I'm "under the direction of a tax agent" but we basically had it that the accountants got a copy of the BAS's I prepared before lodging. Whether they actually checked em or not I have no idea LOL.

One of the accountants I worked for reckoned I should have liability insurance, but I reckon you'd be hardpressed finding an insurance company that would take you on.

I'm actually so very relieved to be getting out of this game. hehe.. I've crunched numbers for far too many years.

I am just trying to find info now, but previously I saw a site that was talking about bookkeepers becoming members and being certified, they were going to help with insurance. When I looked at the site last year the insurance amount listed was over $700, considering I only do about a days work a week, I cannot afford that without putting up my rates and risk losing my clients.

I don't like doing the BAS, so I am happy to leave it to others. I will get out though if my work continues to be cleaning up the mess that the franchise bookkeepers are making with accounts and they have the cheek to charge almost twice as much as me, and take twice the amount of time!

OMG yeah... the WORST bookkeepers seem to be the MYOB certified ones - or however they describe themselves! I think coz I worked for an accountant for 9 years, and 4 of those was the same time as my bookkeeping, my clients accountants appreciated how I kept the books simple LOL.

I think the membership the taxation office requires is professional.. like CPA etc. Can't just join those! heh.

Altho, just had a look, and there's some advisory service now. Dunno what that's all about.

Thanks girls! I have an little unofficial Accounting background but not enough so I might look at a tafe course.

Thanks again

TAFE has correspondance courses you can do. Its called OTEN. Google tafe oten and it should come up. I was recently looking for courses to do there, and there are a few accounting/bookkeeping type courses there, but they look like they're being replaced with new courses which will be available in a couple of months I think. I have done a course through the OTEN (but not a book keeping one) and for the course I did, I was able to do alot of it online, and for the non-online part, I was sent booklets to work through and assignments to send in. Hope you can find a suitable course.