Thread: Children present when customers come

OGILBERRY Guest

Default Children present when customers come

I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are on children being present when a customer arrives. i do photography of children and only have her in care for two days. i do tell them on the phone that id prefer to have appts on these days otherwise my three year old daughter will be present whom they may perhaps have to wrestle to get in the shot hehe..

do you think it is totally unprofessional given that i have told them...

the way i figure is that i have given them the opportunity to come on the two days she is in care...but to fit in with them id do it on the other days

just wanted some mums thoughts on this oh and dads too..

fiona

thanks in advance.

I think that if you have explained that if they come on any other day that she will be there, that gives them the choice doesn't it? I do know of Mums who do party plan selling and quite often they take their children with them with various results LOL. I think most people would be tolerant if they had warning and it would be unprofessional not to tell them kwim?

OGILBERRY Guest

i have a professional set up and guess i didnt want to take it away by having the three year old running around...mmm yes i guess youre right if i didnt tell them then that would be unprofess....and i guess they have children so should be mostly tolerant with children around

fee

I think it would be more unprofessional if you didnt tell them that your daughter is going to be there. Youve also told people you'd prefer them to make appointments on certain days, so they already know some days are just better than other days. So no, I dont think its unprofessional I suppose as your daughter isnt running around like a crazy person or something.

OGILBERRY Guest

no it would be me running around like the crazy person hehe

fee

I only offer appointments when Mitch is in care. It looks more unprofessional if you are running around after a little one when you are trying to work. Constant interruptions and the occasional tanty do not a good business make!

You don't owe anyone an explanation, it's your business......

Jodie259 Guest

I think it depends on how much interruption is caused by your DD... which only you really know.

If you find that she can't amuse herself during your 'work' time with a client - and they are being delayed whilst you attend to your daughter... then that could be an issue.

But if you have mentioned it on the phone, and you are dealing with parents/children for the photography... then I think it is okay.
    Last edited by Jodie259; February 6th, 2007 at 09:01 PM. Reason: oops... said DS at first

I run a photography business from home also. I often have Emma at home when customers come to pick up orders/view albums etc, but never during an actual shoot. but that is because I know it would be impossible. Emma is too young to understand that she can't be 'involved'. I think if you are still able to work with your child there, then by all means go for it. And by letting them know they have the option of choosing a day when she isn't there, it's totally up to them.

I agree with all so far. Let them know and they have the choice, as a Customer i guess I would be annoyed only if the child kept running in front of the camera and that meant the things took a million times longer than it should. I too think that it depends on how your dd is, does she run around or is she able to amuse herself most of the time? So saying if you had told me she was there then it is my choice.