Thread: WAH tips

Default WAH tips

Ok, there seems to be a number of people who work from home, so I was wondering did any of you have any tips? eg What keeps you motivated? How do you organise your space, time etc

Looking forward to what you all have to say.

My Tip: Set aside some time each week, fortnight or month to keep your bookwork up to date. If you leave it too long, you may end up taking short cuts or making mistakes to get it done in time.

I work from home, on BB, and for two other organisations.

The one thing that keeps me sane and on track is HAVE A SHOWER AND GET DRESSED before you "start work"........despite the temptation to rock around in my trackies! Some days it is the only thing that gets me motivated!

Totally agree on the shower and get dressed thing.

As for keeping up bookwork? LOL.. I'm a bookkeeper.. and my books are the LAST ones to be done!

Organising space and time: OMG.. I don't. This thread is gonna shed some light on my very disorganised life! LOL. I finally setup a STACK of pigeon holes on my desk and am endeavouring to sort out the PILES of stuff on my desk. Time - be prepared to work graveyard shift or really early in the morning.. best times with a little bub.

I guess my tip is: Don't let your desk be a dumping ground! I'm still working on this. When tidying up the house, papers and books and mags etc regardless if they are work related or not get dumped on my desk Very un-fengshui! hehe

I currently work 3 businesses from home and have a great need to get organised as I now do the bookkeeping from home instead of the clients.

I'm a list writer and find my whiteboard invaluable for keeping track of what I need to do.

Gosh.. did I rant enough? LOL. Hope I haven't made us look unprofessional! LOL. I'll blame the little addition to our family

Just been reading New Idea (the font of all knowledge!!) and have come across a book written by a Victorian woman (CPA) Sonia Williams. It is called Show Mummy the Money and is all about setting up a businees to work from home....it even has a website.....if you google showmummythemoney I am sure you will find it....It covers all the planning tips and taxation laws etc....very informative on a first glance....might have to go get me a copy.

Jodie259 Guest

Like others... I have a notebook beside my bed, and I am an avid LIST maker. I write a huge list of all the things that have to be done... business & personal.

I also have heaps of things blue tacked to my walls around my computer.

I find that my emails can get out of control if I don't keep an eye on them. So I've set up HEAPS of folders - and organise my emails into different folders.
    When I receive an order, I print it up immediately and fax it through so that it is processed & posted within hours of receiving. I answer every business email within 24 hours - and I move all my "joke" emails to a folder until I have time to read through them.