Thread: Wholesale

Default Wholesale

I want to start an ebay shop that sells scrapbooking and craft supplies. What is a good wholesaler to go through and how do i go about doing it?

I'd suggest doing your research. I'm not sure anyone would divulge that type of info regarding their business iykwim? Its not really in their best interest.

And I don't mean that badly... but I know I wouldn't be giving that info up easily

*mwa*
    Calin

Yes, i tired that but couldnt find anything and got confused. I just want to know where i can get supplies from. I don't see how that has anything to do with other peoples businesses

Oh its just if you give out that info then other people can then go and sell that product? KWIM? Its like creating your own competition. And if you've worked hard to get your business up and running its hard to share that kind of info... Does that make sense?

I didn't mean anything badly... I promise!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Well, do you have any suggestion on what i can do because i seriously cannot find anything about it.

Have you googled scrapbooking wholesalers? And specify .au sites?

I just had a quick look and I found alot. Maybe email one of those sites?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Also look at the Yellow Pages, as the listing tend to brokendown between Wholesale and retail. Also look at manufacturer on products that you have already bought.

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, it's really hard to try and research your chosen product. I spent months and months researching different distributers and wholesalers. The other girls have given great ideas. My other tip is to find a product that you really like and buy it from a scrapbooking shop etc and then contact that items distributor to find out if they will take you on as a distributor in your local area. Also apply for an ABN number as alot of wholesalers won't deal with people who don't have an ABN. When I first started I asked alot of the same questions that you have now except that I asked them on Ebay, lol, lol. I got some pretty nasty responses from people but now that the tables have turned I can understand what they were getting at. Within a week of setting up my business, I had a man email me and ask for my suppliers name as he also wanted to sell the same product as me. If I'd given my suppliers details to him, he would have just bought the same products at the same prices and set up shop in competition with me. We would then have to compete for the same buyers. Ebay is pretty cut throat these days, the sellers are way more protective than they used to be as there are so many more people selling the same products. People who are in competition with you will try and find faults with your listings to report to ebay, some even dummy bid to get higher prices or just email you nasty comments about your products. I get this all the time. Good Luck with it, I hope you find something.

also check the magazines in that business - the wholesalers advertise in those alot

Also - I agree with getting an ABN - but be warned that some people don't like dealing with anyone who doesn't have bricks and mortar store.

when mum and I started up on ebay in the same industry we found that too Nell. Loads of people won't sell to ebay stores, and I think the ABN is a must. We found almost nobody wanting to sell to us without it. They are a little more insterested if you have an actual website as well as the ebay store.
    Good luck Tegan!

vashtiwood Guest

Default Finding wholesalers

Hi Tegan,

Hopefully you've had a modicum of success locating wholesalers...

Some 20 years ago when my parents were starting their own home based business (a curtain shop - don't ask me WHY they chose curtains!?) this is what they did:

1) have business cards printed up
    2) open the yellow pages and find all the wholesalers you can
    3) go the the head offices of the wholesalers, personally, and ask to open an account

Voila!

I know it's a bit easier these days - you can do most of your business over the phone and 'net, but the concepts are still the same. Get yourself looking professional, then go to yellow pages, find the wholesalers, and ring them to open an account.

Hope this helps

Vashti

My suggestion would be to go to a scrap shop & note down brand names that you'd like to stock then try to track them down on the net or yellow pages.