Thread: Working From Home

2ndtimeround Guest

Default Working From Home

Hello Ladies,

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to work from home. I was retrenched a couple of weeks ago and being pregnant means it is unlikely I will be able to get a job. We only bought our house this year and can't aford for me to be home wihout an income. I would like to work from home but have no idea what I can do. Any ideas? I have a degree which is not worth the paper it's printed on in Arts with a major in Human Communications and Creative writing. Written two books so far with no way to publish them I also have OHS qualifications etc. Any ideas? I would really appreciate it. Cheers Tracey

Well communications may not be that useless. You could consult with small businesses with regards to written material, business flyers, websites etc just to help them get the wording right.

What about your OHS qualifications? Many businesses need help in this area. Good luck

Yes, I agree with Astrid. Many smaller businesses are run by people who need help with wording in advertising, or things like policies etc. You could maybe try consulting. The thing is, these things take time to pick up, especially if you are relying on word of mouth. What about proof reading or something like that.

And also, have you submitted your transcripts to publishers? That would be an easy thing to organise from home. Look at the silver lining - being retrenched could be the start of a career in something you love

If you can set aside part of your redundancy for business start-up purposes (business cards, website, business name registration etc). Also get your hands on a copy of Show Mummy the Money, it will help you with ideas and how to go about getting the business set up.

2ndtimeround Guest

Thanks ladies, I will work on that, Natalie, most publishers won't take manuscripts without an agent. Agents won't take manuscripts without referrals. Its a dog eat dog business. If anyone knows of any that take them please let me know.

Astrid where would I find show mummy the money?

Cheers Tracey

Google it and it should be the first link (not the paid for one at the top). Sonia currently has a special going on her website. Also whilst you are there have a look at the resources section for the newsletter, it is quite good.

ETA Maybe even contact Sonia about how she went about getting her book published. She is really helpful.
    Last edited by Astrid; December 12th, 2006 at 02:04 PM. Reason: add more info

Just moving this to the working from home forum
    Last edited by christy; December 12th, 2006 at 04:41 PM.