Thread: Going back to work

Default Going back to work

How long did you wait to go back to work after having a baby?

My work has got a new Service Manager so i have a new boss, she tried to ring this afternoon and she left a message asking me to call her back.

DP had to call her for some reason and she asked him when i would be looking at returning to work.

He's saying i could in a months time but i'm not sure if i'll be ready.

I wont be full time or anything only doing 1-2 shifts a week.

P.S i work for dan murphys.

With DS1 I went back to work when he was 8ths old..I went back what is called pretend part time, so 4days a week. I had him in Family Day Care, someone's home.
    With DS2 I went back when he was 1yr and only 2days a week. Not sure with DD yet..I think I am out numberered Lol!
    It really is up to you, and only you will know the best time, you have to think of when you are emotionally ready and also physically ready. You may feel ok, it just depends on the sort of work you do at DM's? As in heavy lifting, standing on your feet all day. It's alot to weigh up, just make sure it's your decision and not anyones elses when the time comes

I started studying again when she was 4 months (not going back to work but you know, it's something). And I went to work 20-25hrs a week when we was 16 months, and full time (40 hours a week) when she was 18 months.

It is hard, but it'll be hard no matter how old they are. I find that working makes me appreciate my time more though, I get a lot more done in a lot less time now than I ever did as a full-time SAHM.

how long are your shifts? will DF be able to look after your bub?

I went back at 5 months with Miss J - 4 days and week and will be doing the same with Miss S. Both girls are and will be in FDC. My wk is flexible so some days i can wk from home if i need to.

I went back to work part time when DS was 3 months old (first full time hours for a month to fill in for someone, and then back to 3 days a week).

Same with DD1 - when she was 3 months old.

Now I'm a SAHM so I don't have to go back to work just yet, but will be studying nursing when the last baby is about a year old.

I went back FT when DD1 was 7 months, my mum minded her. DD2 was 4 months but I only went back 3 days a week 8-3 (I was still BF) mum minded her up until she died when DD was 2. With DS I went back 3 days from when he was 8 months- he went to FDC where he still goes.

I think for many people it probably depends on your money situation a fair bit. But I can tell you, those first few months bonding with your baby are something you can never have again compared to an outside job, which in most cases will still be there down the track.

Do what feels right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate07 View Post
    how long are your shifts? will DF be able to look after your bub?
    I have told them no more than 5 hours but i prefer 4 hours just to begin with.

And DP will as ill work when hes not. Or my mum can as she only works 3 days a week.

I wanted to go back to work for christmas so when i have the meeting with my manager ill discuss that possibility.

DD1 was 5 weeks old when i went back.
    DD2 was 6 weeks old
    but only ever did 2-3 days a week.
    and with DD2 only did 1 day a week.
    i was ok with it. but i had a good support system and great childcare

We dont really need the money so if i decide to wait it wont affect us.

And shes growing up so fast id hate to miss one of her 'firsts' because im at work.

I know i cant be a SAHM forever and i would have to work full time again eventually.

I had 2 years off with DS and went back to work when DD was 10 weeks old but only for 10 hours a week until she was one. then went to 2 days.

Kids were never in daycare and my Hubby works night shift and was able to have them during the day. gave him 1 on 1 time with them

This is an interesting thread! I went back as a casual teacher when DS was 20 months. Saying this though I was very unhappy and I think at about 12-18 months would have been the ideal time for me. My mum wasn't able to look after DS because she was ill and I wanted to start daycare at 2 at a centre I really loved. Now DS is 3 and I work sporadically a day here and there. We are fairly well entertained with swimming lessons twice a week for DS and he still goes to daycare two days a week. However I still need a little bit of work to get into something different.

I decided to go back to work when DS1 was 6 months old, but then found out I was pregnant so decided to stay at home as I find pregnancy so exhausting I knew I would be unable to work much. When DS2 was about 18 months I started looking for work again, but again got pregnant so that scuppered my plans. The twins will be 3 by the time I start studying next year (if I get in) so that will have been 6 and a half years at home.