thread: Interests!!!

May 2008
    where the V8's roar

Interests!!!

WT!!! So apparently I need some interests for my resume and all I can think of is sleep and how much I want to go on a holiday (preferably alone lol). Obviously not very job worthy... so hit me people, what sort of interests do employers look for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

Really?? They are still asking for interests these days? I have not had them on my resume for years.

Sorry wish I could help.

Mar 2004
    Sparta

If you're going to include interests put something you do that is out of the ordinary. If you put polar bear wrestling the interviewer might be interested but if you put reading or sports you may as well not bother. Something specific like needle point embroidery can be used to demonstrate attention to detail and that you have stickability so don't be scared to write a sentence or two to tell employers why your interest makes you a better person for the job.

Do you have a hobby? What do you do in your spare time?

Jun 2010

Among other things I put patchworking - just so happened that my potential employer's office manager also does patchwork. Which she told me made me memorable in her eyes when they were talking about potential candidates later. That really was just luck though lol.

May 2008
    where the V8's roar

I have interests but I never have the time for them... I suppose I could say they are new interests lol.
    Would meditation be useful do you think?
    I am looking at admin/retail/checkout chic!! Anything that pays at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 2008
    the world

I always thought employers wanted to see team sports in the interests so they know you can be part of a team and that is why reading and sewing etc are not desirable because they are lone pursuits. It always stuffed me up when writing CVs because i just don't do team sports! In fact I don't really do team working well either but it is a big nono to say that these days!!! LOL!

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

It doesn't have to be a hobby. I put what interests me... Women's issues, current affairs, politics, reality television, cooking and genealogy.

But I am not a team player

Mar 2004
    Sparta

Why not put meditation? I would think that if you explain that it keeps you calm and centered even under stress that it would be a good thing to have on a resume.

I'm an employer and I don't look for team sports as an interest. I'm more interested in how they present it as a positive and if an interview is a bit awkward it gives you something to talk about.
    Last edited by Phteven; April 14th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.

Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong

I put in writing, entertaining, and skydiving.

Something on the intellectual (?) front (and which I can talk about a lot ... I've done freelance journalism, I've written creatively, I blog ... plenty to discuss - and often leads to a conversation about what I like to read), something social (and again which can lead to many different conversations to do with people, friends, cooking, hosting, etiquette, etc) and then something rather out of the ordinary ... not every applicant to the job will be a licensed skydiver - so it often leads to interesting conversations!

If I was applying for a job now, I would probably also include anti-human trafficking initiatives, as it's an important part of my life.

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

I forgot to say I reckon it depends on the job you're applying for, as well as the company/organisation you are applying to.

Probably not best to say V8 racing if you are applying as a project worker for an energy efficiency initiative, or feminist theory if you are wanting to work for Ralph or Zoo magazines iykwim

Aug 2006
    On the other side of this screen!!!

I don't think it matters too much, they're just after evidence that you are a well rounded human being. Pulling wings off flies probably wont cut it though.

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

Pulling wings off flies probably wont cut it though.
    .....Just off to tweak my CV.....