Thread: Night Shift

Default Night Shift

my husband just starting working as I nurse this year and it expected to rotating work night shifts

i hate it, its weird its like I don't know when to go to bed as I don't want to go because he is not home but he is not coming home so I have to go,

I don't sleep properly get up in the mornings and if I am working I don't see him until I get home of an evening spend 2-3 hrs with him and then it starts all over again

Any ideas on what I should do when he works nights, no family or other real support

It's a totally different routine isn't it? You go from including him in the cooking, to not having to cook for them. When DH works nighshift, DD and I usually have very simple meals - her favourite is spaghetti with pasta sauce.
    He comes home and goes straight to bed, so DD and DS only get to see him for an hour in the arvo when he wakes up and gets ready for work.

I'd take advantage of the time and use it as 'me' time, watch a show that he may not like, or tape a show on a different night and watch it when he is at work, read a book, play a sport etc..
    Try to keep your bedtime routine the same, so go to bed when you normally would. It takes a bit of time to get use to not having them beside you, but eventually you'll get there...especially when you can have the bed all to yourself

Watch all the sooky girly movies that husbands don't usually let us watch cos we cry all the time?

Have a nice long bath, glass of wine... good book.... and relax?

thanks

I think its that I have recently lost by job and that we had a loss this year that is all added to the mix

My partner just started rotating shifts in his lab and has 2 weeks of 10pm to 6am (then 2 weeks of 2pm to 10pm, then 2 weeks of 6am to 2pm, then back to the start). I find it really difficult, also (this is the first week of nights). I don't really have any advice but will be watching this thread because I find myself getting really panicky when he has to leave and can't seem to sleep properly either. Just wanted to give you a big and let you know that I know how you feel!!

Here is hoping things get easier for the both of us...

nightshirt should just be let to people who actually want to work nights, it so so NOT family friendly its horrible

Jitterbug feeling for you new with new baby and all, nice choice of name

My partner does shift work, and in the past i have not enjoyed it, but at the moment it works for us.

At the moment he does 2 x 12 hour days, 2 x 12 hour nights, 4 days off. Although, i was not keen on him going on to this shift, now i like it. On his night shifts, i can eat the stuff i like, spread myself out, and watch my stuff on TV.

It took awhile for me to be comfortable going to bed knowing that he wouldn't be home til i was close to getting up. But now, it's kinda nice to have that time to myself, and it is great when he is back and we get to snuggle. It makes the time when you are together better, cos you have a chance to miss him.

It is harder when your shifts clash so you don't see much of each other for awhile. Try to embrace 'you time' when it's just you at home, and plan good stuff for when you can both hang out.

take care,

I have to say I love it! I love the 'me time' it gives me LOL. My DH works in a mine so they have a 4 day on 4 day off roster, so yesterday he started a 4 day-day shift, then he's home again for 4 days and then he's in for a 4 day night shift. It is hard, especially when you have something on and you have to go alone, but I'm fine with that most of the time. But he's been doing it for a few years now so I've had time to get used to it. On nightshift I cook him dinner to take with him and do enough for the rest of us so all I have to do its reheat it, then I get the kids to bed on time and I have the rest of the night to myself - I don't have to worry about him telling me I stay up too late watching crappy TV, or I can be on here, or just doing cross stitch etc.

It was hard getting used to sleeping without him because I have never been good at sleeping without him, but then the other times he was never here it was usually cause he was having a boys weekend with his mates or down at the pub etc and I think it was more worry about what he was doing kwim? But I'm past that now and I sleep fine.

I know shift work seems really family UNfriendly, but with the shifts that my DH works, he only actually works for 6mths of the year - the other 6mths he is home, and there aren't many other jobs were you would get that, certainly not a 9-5 job, so he sees more of the kids than a lot of other dads would.