Thread: "Packing my Dacks"

Default "Packing my Dacks"

I start my new job in 6 days and am absolutely packing my dacks!!!! I will still be nursing and still dealing with some of my current client base but as I will now be working in an extension of the ED in a major public hospital - I will also be dealing with a lot more varied conditions! I am absolutely petrified! I know I will be fine and that there are always going to be people I can call on if I'm stuck, but I feel like my knowledge base is dismal! I've been cramming to try and bring myself "up to speed" (peoploe at current job don't think I need to) and I just feel so intimidated already! As much as I hate my current job, I don't want to leave the comfort of the devil I know!!!!
    How do you deal with the nerves of starting a new job?

Mothergoose..I hear ya!!! I start back in my job in 3 weeks (paramedic) and after 12 months off + light duties I feel like I know nothing. I too am cramming and trying to refresh myself on all that stuff. Like you, everyone says you will be fine. You will be fine, and probably once you get back in there you will wonder if you actually had time off! I say it again, you will be fine. I think you just need to remind yourself that you were an accomplished practitioner prior to baby, and that will come again. Best of luck with your return to work.

I usually don't change jobs until I've absolutely had enough of the one I'm in and it's hard to drag myself to it each day. As you say 'better the devil you know' and for me that includes people and tasks.

Try not to put too many expectations on yourself. I'm sure the new area will expect you to undergo a learning curve and they should be supportive of that. I tend to be hard on mysefl and expect myself to get it right the first time, so I know this may be easier said than done.

I guess the other thing I would try to do is to see it as an opportunity to learn new things, met new people etc and broaden your work horizons in general.

I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Oh rach, it is terrifying, isn't it? To know we're literally playing with people's lives... but you're right - I bet by the end of my first shift I'll either feel like I'm sinking or feel like I never left! LOL. Maybe we should cram together!!!

Cece - you're 100%. There is a "learning curve" factored in but, like you, I expect a lot from myself!!!

It doesn't help when the Dr's at old work keep saying "Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh - that's a REALLY face paced and busy ward! Have fun!" with a cheeky smirk. Little bugger's!!!

Mothergoose..yes! lets cram together! Also, if you are anything like me. I chose to work ED (when I worked as an RN) because it was fast paced and busy...so hopefully you'll find yourself in your element.

Yes, I do like the fast pace! It beats sitting on my hands, and I don't like the "same old thing" like other wards... I just have to get my a$$ of BB and get my head back in those books!!!

Oh MG I hear you loud and clear. I am back at work tomorrow arvo shift and I am absolutely terrified. I'm so scared to go back into birth suites. I have absolutely no idea how to handle the nerves. I already have butterflies.
    I'm really interested MG how are you going to work b/f? I have no idea how to do it with shift work. I've really left it to the last minute to think of these things. Big case of denial. What is your plan of attack?

Sorry Dan, I don't BF so I can't help you with that - so sorry! I admire you being able to even WORK in maternity after have DD!!! I had the opportunity to work at the same hospital I birthed in and couldn't do it!!!!

MG, I know you will be fine and in 3 months time you will be wondering what you were worrying about!

MG - I start work in 14 days in ED in an NP position and I am *packing my dacks* too!!!! New job and yet my brain still feels like it is mush and I am worried I won't know / remember anything. DH tells me I will be fine but it is the expectations everyone else will have that worry me most. Will I still be able to function at the level they remember and expect of me

Dan - I will be breastfeeding and going back to shift work (primarily evenings) 5-6 days per fortnight. I have started to get a collection in the freezer (but not enough) and will FF supplement if needed. He is on solids and feeding every 3-4 hours at the moment but will go the 4 if he thinks I will be home soon so he *may* not drink too much while I am away. I will fit the expressing in while I am at work but that will be an issue because it takes me so long to pump I have every intention to continue to breastfeed - even if the odd FF has to be included to keep him happy while I am away.

Good Luck MG !!!! (Just in case I can't get back in time). You'll do great and be flying along with the fast past before you know.

I started back at work last night... i used to have an 8-5 office role with responsibilities & on call 24/7!

I decided in my preg with Zyon, that I cant put myself through that anymore & my family is coming first, my role was super Kooshy (if there were3 no probs & middle of the night call outsI now work in the factory from 8pm til midnight 5 nights a week I now can go in switch on & walk out & switch off... I used to bring my stress & work homeHoever it's been 11yrs since I did this type oif work & I was so restless & nervous, but it worked out finI expressed during the day & opnly miss Zy's last feed at 8pm (ish) which DH feeds him now after his bath...

GOOD LUCK

DoubleK Guest

good luck with the new job!!

im thinking about getting a casual job this year, but i keep putting it off as im so nervous about going back to work! i left my job just before i found out i was pregnant, and never managed to find another one while preg.

MG DOn't foget you have been mulit tasking at a fast pace being home with Bubba!
    They wouldn't have given you the job if they didn't think you can handle it
    You will sit back after your first shift- tired yet satisfied that you did it
    you are a strong woman and if you can handle being a mum- then an ED is gonna be a piece of cake!!!
    good luck
    odette