Thread: Re-applied for my old job...

Default Re-applied for my old job...

Hey all

I left my old role in August 09. I am currently self employed and wanting to get back my career (in finance) and was doing some job searching on Seek. I came across my exact old role advertised by my ex boss and applied for it.

What do you think? If you were an employer, would you take back a previous employee that had quit? I loved my ex role and was very good at it. They actually did not want me to leave, they offered me a few other roles to try and get me to stay...

I wonder if I'm in with a chance. I guess the positives are- they wont need to re-train a new person if they re-hire me? That will save them a lot of time and effort. I know the entire business etc.

DP also thinks I should call my ex boss and let him know I applied for the role just to make it more personal.

Anyone have any opinions? Positive and negative on this situation...

I think it would depend on why they left, and if they were a valuable employee (which it sounds like you were!). If you had a genuine reason for leaving then they can't hold that against you. Seems to me like you are meant to go back to working there! Lol. Isn't that weird coming across your old position up for grabs again! good luck

Thanks!

I know. I am scared they will think "Well, she left once. We don't want her because she might up and leave again..."

I left the role originally because I wanted to give being self employed a go. It was good for a while, but business has been getting a bit quiet... and lately I've found myself regretting leaving! I even mentioned to a friend that I missed my old job the other week! Funny the role has become available...

I will be so gutted if I don't get a call back this time round. DP said " what's meant to happen will happen!" I guess he is right

I would contact him and let him know the reasons you want to return..

My old boss has told me (and people who have called for referee checks) that she would rehire me when I am willing to commit to full time work. (she has had me back casually, but I get torn between being at work and being at home with my kids, and I know that won't change till they are at school at least).

I have in the past returned to a previous employer a year or two down the track. In my case I had a chunk of study in between the two but they didn't hold it against me, instead they were happy to have me back with existing experience.

Thank you everyone! I might give him a quick call in the morning and let him know I want the position and can commit to it 100% this time...

I'm more worried about not having any relevant experience in the finance field since I've been gone. It's been exactly 1 year! I've been working in sales and i did some traveling. I was doing well with my home sales/ party plans but business became slow and has becoming a bit boring. I've pretty much realised I can't rely on it to make a living and should stick to a stable income job

I am thrilled that it has become available again, time to cross my fingers and pray!!!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I would ring ex boss and let them know.

DH has said perviously he wouldn't re employ someone but he has had a boss above him come back and at first was not happy but in end enjoyed it as he got along with him and also he was more suited to position after a break.

Good luck

OK, so I bit the bullet and I called up this afternoon to speak to my old boss.

He was glad to hear from me, and said hopefully we may have an interview...

I'm a bit worried because he kept repeating (like 2 or 3 times) that the work load is a lot easier/ on a lower level than what I was doing previously... which leads me to believe that they may think I am over qualified for the work load and that they want to pay this role less than what I was receiving before.

My frame of mind is- if it's a lot easier then it should be a breeze for me and I can do the job they need perfectly right?! DP thins they might believe I could get bored if the work is too easy and leave again.

We'll c how it goes

Just to update the thread I began-

I ended up getting a new job on Monday. Not my old role, but with a new company and very similar with much better perks...

I begin next Monday! Yayyy!

How exciting! Well done and good luck on your first day

that's great news - well done and good luck!