Thread: Resume - email or snail mail?

Default Resume - email or snail mail?

When applying for jobs and the advertisement has stated that the resume may be emailed to one address, otherwise they may be posted via snail mail to another address, which is better? Email or snail mail?

I'd probably do both - just to make sure at least one makes it there.
    Just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by **Sunshine** View Post
    I'd probably do both - just to make sure at least one makes it there.
    Just me though.
    Yeah Id do both
    Shows you're egar too!

lol. See Im the type that if I did that I would have to state in the email that the original is in the post, just so they dont get both and think that Im a doofus who screwed up with how she was applying. These are type of jobs that attention to detail is paramount and appearance is everything... Do you think that would work or just look like overkill?

I've not known anyone to do snail mail resume's these days. It's either email or walk right in and deliver. Usually if you get an interview you are expected to bring a copy anyway.

I would just email it.

I would email, and then take hard copy on the day of interview if you get one.

email for sure, I've employed heaps of people and advertised jobs, by the time a snail mail res arrived I would have interviewed and possible filled the position Tip PDF your emailed res do not send a word doc.

Quote Originally Posted by cherished1 View Post
    email for sure, I've employed heaps of people and advertised jobs, by the time a snail mail res arrived I would have interviewed and possible filled the position Tip PDF your emailed res do not send a word doc.
    How do I change it from a .doc to a pdf? I changed it from a .docx already just in case they didnt have that version... oh dear...

You should be given the option to "Save As" a pdf.

I don't think you can save as a pdf unless you're in an adobe program.

I'd email if they give an email address, but I snail mailed for the job I've got now, and the job before this. I was cold 'calling' (or mailing, as it was). I didnt want them to just be abe to delete me

We have downloaded cutepdf. It's a free pdf writer and it becomes like a virtual printer once installed. You print your document, select cutepdf as your printer then it asks where you want to save the pdf and it's done

Thank you for all the prompt feedback everyone

Quote Originally Posted by MistyFying View Post
    You should be given the option to "Save As" a pdf.
    haha look at that! I should open my eyes more often. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ~Leasha~ View Post
    I don't think you can save as a pdf unless you're in an adobe program.
    Microsoft Word 2007 gives you the option to publish as a pdf document (ie save as .pdf) if you have that program

Thanks for that tip cherished1 it looks ten times better without the word markings on it too.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

When I worked in IT recruitment resumes were mailed in and an OCR program would submit them to the database automatically. The very few resumes by hand were posted interstate to the IT dept to manually scan it. Their databases are very clever these days.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

You're welcome BlackCat, looks like you've got he PDF sorted it does look better and no one can change the format or what is written on your res no matter what program the employer has on their computer. Due to so many different systems out there you never know what your res will look like on the employers computer in a word doc so if it's a PDF at least you know that what you see is what they see. Goodluck with the job!

As a manager I prefer people to hand deliver them. We are a small business (15 staff) and if we advertise we get most of them posted in, but the ones that are hand delivered means we get a picture of you in our head, how you speak, dress, present etc. I've thrown some straight in the bin when people come in with ripped jeans and a hoodie looking like they crawled out of a gutter, and put some in the "interview" pile straight away based on their presentation. I think it says alot about a person if they put in an effort to present well.
    Having over 50 resumes and having to choose a handful to phone interview before in person interviews means the smallest details can make or break the chance of someone getting an interview.

If you email and snail mail do mention on the email that there is a paper copy in the mail.

OH! LOL! I've had 2007 for over a year now and never noticed that! How cool!!! That'll be much easier than creating .pdf documents in Photoshop

Good luck with the job!