Thread: What do you do when....

Angry What do you do when....

The boss/owner from your previous job won't give you a reference?

I was the office manager for this medium sized company for 3yrs of my life, it was bloody hard yakka. I only found out about a year before I left that the boss had never ever written a reference for anyone,not even for the employees that he still keeps in touch with and regards as friends.
    I put in so much effort with that company and that place is where I gained my most valuable knowlege. So what I am saying is that my resume' contains the majority of my experience from this company and I can't even back it up with a reference to say that I did work there and what my title and job description was..

I used to work for a company that had a policy of "no references" for anyone... even senior management, but they did say I could provide HR's phone number to a potential new employer as proof of employment, and HR would just give minor details like: length of employment, who your manager was & your title/position.

HTH

Some companies have this policy to avoid the situation where they give a reference out and another company finds the person unsuitable. It can lead to the company looking bad, and in an extreme case there could be legal action. I am sure HR would provide those details as Keira suggested. Perhaps you could find someone else you worked with who would be happy to provide a reference instead?

I have worked at places which also had the same policy of not giving out refernces. I spoke with my boss about it and he said he wouldnt give a ref but was happy to confirm my employment there and what my duties were. It hasnt really caused any dramas for me. Actually, come to think of it, most of the places I have worked at have flat out refused to give out refs to anyone.

Doesn't that just stink.. I think that it is cruel. Even though my DF and I own our own business now, I am getting a little bored because I do ordering, accounts and payroll from home and it doesn't take up that much of my time so I want to go out and do maybe 25hrs a week just to get out of the house. I am going to feel like an idiot at an interview saying that I can't get a reference and of course they are going to think that I am full of s**t..

slyder Guest

I'd suggest you speak to your former boss and ask permission to have him as a referee ie. someone a potential employer can phone instead. Lots of places seem a bit adverse to a written reference now. In our company, we always ring the referee and only read references if they are provided (ie we don't request references, but we do request referees).

Is there a work colleague that would give you one?

most places I've spoken to refuse written references because of the ability to forge them, most places ask for the contact details of your referees and will contact them if they need to

Jodie259 Guest

I've heard that some people don't give references because if another company hires them (based on a good reference)... and they turn out to be not so good... that it can come back to the old company that gave the reference. Mind you - that sounds far fetched and stupid.

Maybe it's a policy as some people are not good... and if they ask for a reference - then the company either gives them an 'average/bad' reference - or it's easier to say "no reference policy".

My advice...
    - ask for a Statement of Employment. This just states the period you worked there and your job title or description. (no personal attributes)
    - ask a fellow worker to give you a personal reference... stating they were your co-worker.
    - ask your boss if he would give a verbal reference if a future employer phoned them.

*ducky* Guest

I've gotten over this issue in the past with getting a reference from someone else that is a position of authority. Not as good as getting a reference from the top, but still enough to confirm previous employment and back up a resume.
    Then as Jodie said, a personal reference from someone else - even if they are not as high up the ladder - can work wonders too.
    Good luck with this!

Hmm, all really great responses. Thankyou so much, you have all made me feel a better about the whole situation now cause I was starting to get a little upset over it.
    I still know one of the girls that took over half of my job and I am going to call her and ask if she would mind being called up to confirm my position and term of employment. DF also suggested that I call the freight forwarder/customs broker that I dealt with everyday as we worked closely on a daily basis and ask him to be a referee for me.. I just don't want to get anyone in the shyte if the boss finds out that anyone has given me a reference or is a referee for me because that is the kind of person he is.