Thread: what should i do?

Unhappy what should i do?

Ok I got a job last week and had my first proper shift the other day. Basically to cut a long story short, I have a chronic pain (whiplash) all in my upper and middle back and in my neck from a car accident way back in 2003. I had to quit my job back them because of it. Now silly me thought I could go back to work in the evenings to get some extra cash to help out, but I was only on the register for 20 mins of my 3 hour shift and I was nearly n tears. I had to make an excuse for my trainer to take over. I never told my employer about my back problem but I was never asked so technically I'm not lying, it's just whenever I told employers in the interview (trying to do the right thing) their attitude from wanting me went straight to there was a better suited candidate. Now I love this job, it gets me out the house, and I don't want to have to quit after one shift and screw them around, especially with chrissy coming up. I don't think I will get much money off centrelink on top of FTB either, I was using their estimator and for some reason it kept changing the figure. And I don't want to ask my employer to put me in another position after one shift, left alone I don't think they would or would be able to find a suitable position for me. I 'm so sad, I really wanted this job

Rnee, maybe have a chat to them and say that you really enjoy the work, enjoy working for them, and are committed to the job BUT due to an injury, is it possible for you to sit on a chair at the register. Explain that the injury does not impact on your role as you can still reach for products, scan them, put them in bags, and lift bags - you just can't stand for very long periods (if this is the case). They should be able to accomodate you. I have seen plenty of check out operators who utilise seats in their work.
    Otherwise, have you looked into a desk type job?

HTH

MG

Thanks MG, it's not just the standing, it's the constant repetive work that is making my back worse too Just doing the washing up or sitting down on the computer makes it sore. But I think I will have to have a chat to them anyway, just get it out in the open and hope for the best i suppose.