Thread: Would love your ideas

Default Would love your ideas

Hi all,

I am re-thinking life plans (in between washing nappies and cooking dinner LOL) and realised that while DS is young I have the chance to re-train so that when he goes to school I can have a new job. I would be looking at postgrad study (coursework, preferably by distance) - wouldn't want to do another bachelor degree, but don't have honours to get into research higher degrees. So it would need to be a degree that didn't have a specific undergrad prerequisite if that makes sense (my undergrad degree is BSc).

But, I need ideas for family-friendly industries! Here are my criteria:
    -don't want to have to move (so can't become an Antarctic researcher LOL)
    -don't want to have to work in the city
    -would love to work from home
    -would happily be self-employed/contractor if I was in an industry with lots of work
    -don't want to do teaching
    -I'd like a challenge!
    -would like reasonably family-friendly hours (eg I don't think company CEO working 60 hours a week is suitable), or even the possibility to work part-time

(sorry to be so picky but there's no point not being honest about my limitations!)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I.T. ?

MBA ?

What about a coursework masters? Which state are you in/uni would you think of?

I know you said you can't get into research but you might be able to upgrade from a coursework masters? I am doing my PhD (also science) which is quite flexible and rewarding (although also demanding LOL).

Thanks ladies for the ideas!

Krysalyss a coursework masters sounds good (with exit points at Grad Cert and Grad Dip just in case!). I would ideally want to study by distance, so any uni with a distance program is suitable. What are you hoping to do after the PhD? More research? Do you know if you can get a scholarship for a PhD if you haven't come through the Honours route?

You can get one but it depends on the uni and the project. Some projects have scholarships attached. They usually say you need first class honours as the minimum etc. but I would have thought coursework masters would be more high regarded? Hard to know I guess but ask around at the uni you are considering. I am at UQ Gatton and they do a lot of external study. Depends on what field you are in. UQ Gatton is mostly animal and plant sciences. It would be best to start networking once you start a course so potential supervisors start to notice you out of the crowd.
    I don't really mind what I do afterwards as long as it is relevant and useful. E.g. I don't want to stay in research just to add papers to my name, but want to work on a project I think is actually worthwhile to the world. So may stay in research, but may also move more to conservation or welfare project management etc.

Also I would recommend if possible to go with the uni you would want to do a PhD through as it would be easier to compete against other students for scholarships/projects etc. You can change but I think it is a bit harder.