Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1-6 mth General Chatter

Well done Felix what a clever boy you are We have a forum full of clever babes all in their own unique way. What proud mummy's we are.

Love :hbeat:

This is the part I love, when they start moving around rolling over, sitting up gooing and gahhing I miss those days! Can't wait to do it all again! Sounds like we do have some clever bubs around!

*hugs*
    Cailin

We have had a quiet day today as Asha didn't want to have her usual morning sleep but I think that could do with her sleeping from 7.30pm until 5am this morning. So she is having an afternoon sleep and has been asleep for about an hour now. I love going in when she wakes up as she sees me and smiles now ... makes me go all gooey inside LOL.

I have been thinking about me wanting another baby and I have decided not to go that way and when Asha is about 2 or 3 we will begin the process to become foster parents! I could go on having babies for a long time yet I think but I really do think that maybe fostering will be a better option for us! We can help so many kids who aren't doing do well and it will teach my kids to appreciate what they have in their lives. Mind you if I fall pregnant again I wouldn't complain, Ryan probably would though LOL.

Christy - Welcome back! I am glad that the sleep centre was of some help to you and Matilda. Asha never sleeps on her back unless she is in her pusher! She goes to sleep on her right side so that she faces the centre of the room. I will be moving her cot soon as during summer she will need to be closer to the window so she can stay cool at night (we have no airconditioning) which will mean that she will either switch sides or sleep facing the wall!!!

Katanya - I use Avent bottles and Asha has not had a problem switching from breast to bottle at all. She is happy to take both formula and EBM from the bottle. I wanted to make sure she would take a bottle as when I go back to work she will need to have one or two during the day. I am not sure yet if they will be formula or EBM! Depends how I go trying to pump at work.

Hi to everyone else ... I have to fly I need to call my boss and find out what is happening when I go back to work so I can book day care etc ...

Cheers

katanya Guest

Kelly: that is wonderful about Asha's night sleep! if your like me when Felix did it I would swap good day sleeps for night ones anytime!

It is interesting you were talking about fostering, we are thinking of doing it, maybe as soon as Felix is 6 mths. My partner and I work with children with special needs and have always done respite in our own house. My parents fostered Street kids (minor offenders) and as I was an only child I think it certainly taught me a good lesson about my own privleged backgroud. So much so, that even though I have a degree in Textile Design I worked with children with disabilities and find it SO much more rewarding!
    One thing I must say, is fostering can be heartbreaking. My mother had some wonderful sucesses, but also felt disheartened about some of the cases. She really put her heart and soul into it. My dad was a good support for the first but sort of lost interest after the first few.
    I have had a recent experience supporting a foster parent when the natural parent who's child was removed, turned around and started accusing the foster parent of abusing her child, and the poor child had to endure examinations etc..but that is worse case scenerio.

It is funny but after of years of looking after everyone else's kids it is such an incrediable joy to have my own, and it is totally different..for one I don't have to hand him back!
    About the bottle thing, I have advent..and he hates them too! Maybe I just have soft stretchy nipples? I gave Mum the perstalitic one yesterday, and it worked okay, but I think it was just because it wasn't me.

Marcia Guest

Wow, you girls are already planning the next one?!! The pain is all too fresh in my mind at the moment to want to do it again any time soon LOL! But really, I will be the odd one out as we aren't really intending another baby for maybe another 5 years or so. But then again it all depends on our circumstances as well, which is why I don't like the idea of having birth control that lasts for 3 years. When we decided to try for a baby the first time it was because all of our circumstances changed and it suddenly seemed the right time to do it, but before that we were saying not for another 3 or 4 years. It's funny how things can change so suddenly isn't it? I think I will just go back on the pill for a while as I didn't have any problems with it, and think about the longer term birth control later when my brain works a bit better. Can't seem to think straight about anything lately!!

I am not planning another Marcia

Marcia Guest

Ok, so there is a good example of my brain not working! When I posted that I had missed all of the page 3 posts LOL! I am an idiot!

Christy - great to hear you and Matilda are doing well after all that hard work! What a clever little girl she is too! I can't wait for all that stuff to happen with Hudson. He is only just starting to get a little personality of his own now. I guess it is probably scary at the same time as being exciting though.

Wow Kelly - what a big sleep for Asha!!

Katanya and Kelly, I think that is wonderful that you would both like to be foster parents, there really is such a shortage of 'good' foster homes... I'm sure you guys would be invaluable!!!!
    I stayed in a foster home for one week when I was 14 (I turned 15 the next week, therefore it was legal for me to live independantly!) I was staying in a 3brm house with a single mother & her two kids + her girlfriend & baby. They got drunk every night, and she didn't even give me bus money to get to school, it was horrible!!
    I would love to be a foster mum myself someday, but I still think DP and I have a bit of maturing to do first...

Am totally exhausted after my expedition today, I went to the city, had to walk to where DP works to get money off him (1/2 hr walk) then had to walk it back to city to do shopping, and then back to DP again for him to drive us home... my legs hurt!!
    Not to mention my fathers day photo didn't even turn out properly (that was the whole point of going!) so I will have to have it printed again tomorrow.

Aidyn has been rather strange this afternoon... in the past 6 hours he has drunk less than 200ml (which is VERY abnormal for him). I don't know whether its because he hasn't done a poo for 2 days again, or he's too tired from missing his nap this afternoon, or if he is beginning to teeth (his cheeks have been flaming red for a couple of days... Is it normal for bub to lose his appetite if he is teething?

That is sooo cute what Felix did, Katanya!!

I would love to hear all about how Playgroup goes, Kathryn! I have been thinking of putting Aidyn in for one day a week, in a couple of months time.

katanya Guest

Ambah: yes fostering is very rewarding and there is a shortage of good homes, the thing is I would find it hard to let go with Fostering, as I tend to do things all the way!
    That is no good that you had such a negative expereince when you were younger, but just a testiment to the mature, wonderful person your are today..you obviously worked hard to be the person and mother you are today! well done! I am sure you'll be a FANTASTIC foster parent one day if that is what you want to do. The reason my parents did it was because both were abused by their fathers, and they had beaten the odds and the cycle of abuse, and wanted to help others. Also my mother was unable to have more children after me, so she still had a lot of love to give to other children! I just love children and I figure as long as everyone in the family gets some love and attention, then it will be wonderful!

Also I forgot to tell you about the sugar thing for constepation, the clinic nurse was talking about it, I tuned out because it only applied to bottle feeders, but it was something about giving them sugar in water 3 times a day, I'm sure if you ring the number in your health book, they'll tell you.
    They also said to be careful about not packing the formula into the scoop, not to use the lid of formula, but use a knife? I'm certainly not a formula expert, but I thought I'd pass on what i heard!

I usually just run my finger over the top re the forumla.

YOu will definintely be hearing about how playgroup went lmao. Probably in the toddler thread since it is really for Kameron

on the constipation note... when Matilda had constipation from her first lot of medications, we used 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar to 40mls warm water... and that worked the treat! When we were away there was a breastfed baby with constipation (hadn't pooed in 2 weeks!!!) and they used it and he did two days in a row!

had never heard of the sugar before.

Thanks for the sugar-in-water tip girls! I definately will use it next time... I tried to give him some pureed fruit (to help get things moving) but he just wasnt hungry enough to take it..
    He did manage to do a poo finally tonight, but OMG it was the solidest one I have ever seen! I also didn't give him any rice cereal tonight as his appetite seems down anyway and it is hard enough getting him to drink formula! I guess it maybe is normal for him to poo every 2 days (now that he is on solids) I think I have just gotten to used to the 'once a day, like clockwork' routine...and he just seems so unhappy by the end of the 2nd day!
    And yeah, I do use a knife for levelling off the formula O

Thanks Katanya, indeed I am very happy to be where I am today... After leaving home so young, I had the wildest, most sordid and dodgy late teens anyone could imagine, LOL.
    Initially it was meeting DP that made my life a bit more stable, but definately, falling pregnant was the final straw to pull myself together. And who could believe how much could change in one year (it has been almost a year to the day from when I found out I was PG) Sometimes not even I can recognise myself, but still - I couldn't be any happier.
    And yes, I think I could be a good foster parent one day, but I think it will take DP and I a few more years of learning how to parent our own child...
    It is good to hear about your parents breaking the cycle of abuse, and you can tell that they have passed their love and compassion onto you. You will definately make a fantastic foster parent yourself! O

Hi girls! Our first day back was a bit shocking... of course nothing worked according to the routine we worked out...lol! But today everything has been great and Matilda is back on track.. in fact it took only 5 minutes to fall asleep just now!!! WOW! So we'll see how things go! At the end of the day now we have a feed/bath/massage and sit and read two books on the rocked then bedtime! So its a very quiet and intimate time for us and it really helps her slow down from the day... It has helped so much in cutting down the time to get to sleep and the screaming/crying at the end of the day the "happy hour" is now truely happy! JOY!

That is wonderful to hear Christy! O Sounds like you both have a great routine worked out now... That is so sweet that you read her to sleep every night now!!
    I usually read to Aidyn about 4 times a week, but I want to make it more! But there is no way I could read him to sleep, he gets really excited when I read to him, LOL!!

Hiya Girls!
    How was everyones weekend??

We had a lovely 'first' Fathers Day today!! I made Jackson a special breakfast, and then he opened a couple of pressies from Aidyn and I... It was just lovely to see him so pleased and proud to be a daddy, and to have his first fathers day!!

MIL came and checked out a house with us in the afternoon. It needs a bit of work, but as she has decided she wants us to live not far from Steve and the unit here, we would not be able to find anything better in this area than what we looked at, for our price range... Not really sure if anything is going to go ahead with this one though...
    I'm sure it will be months before anything happens, and I dont mean to sound impatient, but BIL is really causing problems in mine and DP's relationship, because I get sooo frustrated by him being in my face all the time ( :mad: ), that poor DP is the one that has to cop my bad moods... :smt009
    Anyway, sorry for venting, I should probably use The Punching Bag, yet they've already heard all about it too, LOL!

Aidyn has been a good little guy all weekend, but has still a bit crankier than usual, and still has those flaming red cheeks?...
    We finally have been able to get an appt (on Thurs) with our CHCN, so I am looking foward to hearing any advice she may have, and also just to be able to have a good chat about where he's at, and what to expect, etc...

Christy: Is Wednesday still a good day for you for a pram push??

Wednesday is great!

Our father's day started great with Matilda giving her Daddy a card and a handmade pressy... hand & footprints with a tea wash over it to make it look more arty on canvas for DH to take to work! He loved it! Then I made him breaky and we had a really relaxing morning! Even got a nap in the arvo! Was up every 3 hours though, but I can't complain compared to the two hourly nights we had before!

Christy - Glad to hear things are improving for you! Hope Pete enjoyed his first Father's Day!

A rather big woooohoooo from us (quietly so we don't jinx ourselves!!) Asha slept from 6.30pm until 6am!!! Not expecting much sleep from her today but I feel great! I got up at 4.45am to check on her as I thought the monitor might have been broken!! LOL

Cheers

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast