Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born July 2006 #8

mumof2beauties Guest

Hi all. As a recent survivor of controlled crying/comforting, I can honestly say it was the hardest thing I have ever done....but it does work!!! I guess it all depends on how desperate you are for the situation to change.

Ky and I, from the sounds of it were very much like Mads and Freya. We were up close to every hour at night, and it got to the point where I was sleeping on a mattress on the floor of his room...with him joining me in the last few weeks cause he would only sleep with a boob in his mouth!!!! So off we went to sleep school, very, very desperate for things to change.

Well, the first night was just awful, he screamed, I cried, he vomitted etc etc etc, and this went on for 3.5 hours. I was a total mess, and if my car had been in the carpark, I would have been out of there. He eventually fell asleep at 10.30pm and only woke up one more time before the morning (I must admit though, I think that was from complete exhaustion). Next day, same story, lots of screaming from him and crying from me...I felt like I was deserting him.

Anyhow, 4 weeks down the track, Ky is sleeping in his own cot, going to bed at 7pm (instead of about 10pm!), and waking 2 - 3 times for a quick feed. Resettles himself very quickly too. Not an ideal sleeper, but 100% better. He is a different baby!!!

Fee - they told me if he wakes upset or won't settle themselves, to go in comfort them (pat, jig the cot, sshhh them) and when they are quiet, leave again. They said not to go in when screaming, instead wait for a short lull, so as not to reward the screaming behaviour.
    We found rocking the cot from behind, so he can't see us works a treat. Does your cot have wheels??

sorry for the long post....it is a very debatable issue, but from our experience it has done the job. Still a few issues to work on...but all in good time!

Have a great weekend all...my 'little' girl is turning 5, and we are having a few of her friends for a sleepover (seemed like a good idea at the time!!??)

Well Corban has tried Mac and cheese (pasta with cheese sauce) and he likes that. Heidi could not feed him fast enough, he was getting angry at her. then he slept for 2 hours.

Hello,

Well we had the worst night we have had for a long time. I don't remember how many times we got up but it was a few, I even tried co- sleeping but she wanted to play.

Em- Good luck for the next few nights. I can tell you it gets better. ( though we have gone backwards the last few nights)

Dustmite- MMM, mac and cheese, I am too much of a wimp to give Charlotte anything like that , as she has just started to eat, and if she is not in the mood she will just push my hand away. So Charlotte is still on a bland diet, but as long as she is eating I dont care.

I have a few people coming today as i have a product party ( sorry i can not same the product) and have about 3 people coming from BB. so i must go and clean the house.
    Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.

carlys Guest

No offence taken RoyaUK, CC is a matter of choice... i found it to be fantastic, and not at all neglecting Georgia...shes all the happier for a good nights sleep too! Not to mention ME TOO!

take care all

Love Carls xoxoxx

Hi everyone

Dylan is pulling up a bit more and doing the wobbly cruise thing. He is also able to turn the pages of a book the right way and he waved this week, so cute. His favouriteite word is still nang which apparantly in cantonese or mandarin I can't remember which one means beautiful so he must be saying I am beautiful don't you think!

Fraser Just wanted to tell you that I have stopped the overnight boobie feeds this week and last night was night 3 and though he is not sleeping through Dylan will resettle with just a dummy plug or a pat so I am rapt he obviously did not need the feeds anymore. I also try to give him protein at lunch and dinner and a creamy dessert after dinner like yoghurt or custard and I think this helps. I give Dylan fish, lamb, chicken, beans, lentils, etc. I was told by MCHN that they will start to sleep through when they are having protein and three solid meals a day but Dylan is not but maybe soon as he realises he is waking for nothing ie no play, no feed, etc.

Mads Sorry to hear about your cat I really feel for you I too am a cat lover and have lost lots of cats on the road and know exactly what you are going through, big hugs mate.

Anyway sorry for the short one I can hear little man waking.
    Last edited by Cassie; April 21st, 2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Wanted to add a message for Mads.

kelly - Corban does not like the bland foods i think and will react in a negative way. I think heidi was just looking for anything to help. He is BF every 2 hours or less including at night. At night he might want BF comforted about every 45 min. If you don't then he wakes up fully and then he wants to play. The other morning Heidi tried Oatmeal and he seemed to take to that really well and then took a 2 hour nap which is amazing in itself since he hates naps! Usually a nap is about 20 minutes to an 45 at max.

where is everyone?

Not much happening here. Charlotte had another pead appoinment today, that went well, got to get her to eat more and we see him in a months time.
    She has developed tantrums when going to bed, she sits in her bed and cries out for me, throwing her dummy around. when we were seeing the pead today, i had to get her undressed to get weighed etc, and she cried when this was happening, so when i was getting her dressed again she was looking at the docotr giving him evil stares and calling nana as my mum was there, very cute.

Anyway I must go Charlotte is wanting me, I am trying to get her to sleep.

hey girls
    just a question bailee is getting 5 teeth at oince and the poor boy has the runniest poos iv ever seen once they have all come down he wil have 7 teeth did any of your babies have runny poo while teeth and did they loss some weight bailee has lost some he weighted 10.18kg and now he weight is 9.18 i think thats a kilo lol
    let me know what you guys think

talk to ya all soon
    kylie

Fee Guest

Hi everyone

Not much to report. Cooper has slept through until approx 5.30 am for the past 2 nights. I hope he's back to normal but I'm not counting on it!!!

Kylie- Sorry I can't offer advice on the runny poos. I never noticed it when Cooper got teeth. But it's been so long since he's had any new ones! He got the botton two at 5 months and the top two at 6 months and none since!

Kelly- Cooper has tantrums too. The other night he chucked a MAJOR wobbly when I took the face washer from him and removed him from the bath. He screamed and went bright red and was shaking. Took me ages to calm him down!

Rob- Wow Corban still has a lot of BFs. Your DW must be very tired. How's Corban going with his foods? Tried anymore oatmeal? I've given Cooper a similar dish to Mac & Cheese and he really liked it. It's called "Cheesy Stars". I think I posted the recipe a few pages back.

Cassie- Sounds like Dylan is going really well. So cute with his word "nang"!!!

Hayley - Our cot came with wheels but we never put them on. Sounds like a good way to rock the cot!

Emily - That's really interesting about protein and sleep. I probably don't give Cooper enough protein.

Mads - I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. Sending you a big hug.

Hello,

Its 1.10am and I am trying to get Charlotte to sleep for the 4th time already, I thought we would have a go at CC, as she is only sooking, as soon as she is quiet I hop into bed and she starts crying again, so I thought I would jump on the net, while I go in there every few mins. I can see me not getting much sleep tonight. Lucky Tim is at home tomorrow.

Fee- I hope that Cooper is finally sleeping through for you, I bet its nice having some more sleep. Also can you post the recipie for cheesy stars again. Please.

Baizar- 5 teeth, the poor boy, Charlotte only has her 2 bottom ones, Also with his weight, Charlotte has been loosing weight so we are seeing a pead, have you talked about it with you MCHN or you Doctor?

Fee Guest

Kelly, I hope you ended up getting to sleep last night. Thankfully Cooper slept until past 5.00 am again. That's the third night in a row. Fingers crossed it continues and he's back to normal.

Here's the recipe you're after.

Cheesy stars

60 g (2/3 cup) small, star-shaped pasta
    1 teaspoon unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon grated cheese
    1 tablespoon milk
    chopped parsley

Prep time: 5 mins
    Cooking time: 10 mins
    Makes 1 serve

Cook the pasta in boiling water for about 8-9 minutes, or until tender.

Drain, return the pasta to the saucepan, the add the butter, cheese and milk. Mix well and stir over low heat for 1 minute, or until the butter and cheese have melted. Stir in a little parsley. If necessary, mash to serve.

Variation: You could substitute the star-shaped pasta for any number of other small pasta shapes. Use larger spirals and bow-shaped pasta for babies as they show more interest in finger foods.

Fee- thanks for that, I will have to make it for her.

I did get some sleep, she ended up putting her self to sleep just before 2am and slept till 7:15am. She had 1 hour sleep this morning, so I went back to bed, and Charlotte has been asleep since 12:30pm, so nearly 3 hours, she must of been really tired.

I am leaving her for the first time tonight . Tim is taking me out for dinner and my mum is going to have her. It will only be for 2 hours or so, So i will feed her before we go and mum can give her dinner.

Anyway must go Charlotte has just woken up.

mumof2beauties Guest

Hi all
    Thanks Mads, I do try and be a bit of fun, but I feel like I am always the one telling them off and saying "come on, hurry up", "have you got your shoes?", "where's this" etc etc etc., nag nag nag!!
    They did have a good time though. Very late night and very early morning, but oh well, only once a year!!!
    Our nights here with Ky are much the same. He seems to have settled into his own little routine, that he seems to like. Waking for a quick cuddle and feed at about 11, 3 and 6 and then up for the day at 7!! Yes I know, not ideal, but 100% better than before. I really cannot be bothered encouraging him to change that at the moment. I know it would only be a few more nights of the 'controlled crying' but I will tackle that later....who knows, he might just start sleeping through one night (yeah right!!)

Not much else happening here. Kids back at school today after 3 weeks off, so they were happy!
    Take care all

Fee Guest

Well Cooper slept through again ... the fourth night in a row. But ... now he is not self-settling anymore!? I guess I just can't win!

I just wish I understood why he self-settles sometimes and not others. Just last week he was self-settling at bed time and at his morning nap (not the afternoon one). Now he's not self-settling for any of them and we need to pat him to sleep.

Kelly – How was your dinner last night? I hope it wasn't too hard leaving Charlotte. I'm going to start leaving Cooper with people in preparation for childcare! I've only left him 3 times now (once during his awake time, for 2 hours and the other 2 times he was fast asleep for the night).

Mads – Sorry to hear you guys have a cold. I sort of have a cold too. Feels worse in the mornings but during the day I'm okay. How funny about Freya saying "boobie"! That's hilarious!

Hayley – I can't remember you saying… but how old are your daughters? They have such pretty names.

Hi everyone

Dylan slept through last night , I put him down at 7 and he didn't wake again until 6 and I popped his dummy back in and then he and I slept until 7 yay, so he had 12 hours sleep and I had 9. This is the 7th time in his life he has done it, I will have to try and mirror what I did last night and see if that was it. We tried a playgroup yesterday and Dylan had a ball so we are going to go back and am hoping to convince my Mothers Group that we should all join.

Fee Dylan is the same as Cooper where sometimes he will self settle and sometimes I have to pat him to sleep. This morning he self settled for his morning nap which is unheard of I think they are just growing up and also are more tired sometimes than other times. I love the sound of cheesy stars I will have to try them for Dylan.

Mads Sorry to hear Freya has a cold I too have a cold and was told by my Best friend that I need vitamins hmmmm yes I probably do. That is so cute and funny about Freya saying "Boobie" sometimes I hear Dylan say words but he doesn't repeat them. He once said "Barbara" which is his grandma's name, he has said "Hello" and he often says "Yeah" gee it is cute hearing them talk. But his favourite word is "Da, Dad, Dada" which my DH loves to hear and he knows who Dada is. The dropped night feeds are going fine I have had no issues when he wakes overnight I just resettle him with either the dummy or a pat and he goes back to sleep he doesn't scream or get too upset just more grizzly. I am sure when Freya is ready it will happen for you and it sounds as though she is not ready yet. I think Dylan was ready and the feed really was out of habit and not hunger.

Kel Hope your dinner was good, how did Charlotte go? Sorry you are still having sleep issues with her.

Oh and Dylan is back on to the 'I will eat anything' track which is great so I have been doing some big cookups for him. He loves this one I made up - Spinach (one bunch fresh or one box frozen), cup of peas and corn, 1 head of broccoli, i large sweet potato, 2 chicken breasts or 5 chicken thigh fillets, enough vegie stock and water to cover. Chop chicken into small pieces and brown in a little olive oil, add chopped spinach, broccoli, sweet potato and peas/corn and throw in the stock/water (not too much stock as it gets too salty) boil until sweet potato soft, serve mashed. Dylan loves that one and it has low GI carbs, protein, iron, etc in it and tastes pretty good.

Anyway off to do stuff. Hope everyone is good.

carlys Guest

Hi all, sorry its been a while since in posted on here been suffering from total early pregnancy exhaustion I seriously could sleep all day!

Well, not much news here..all is good with me.. Georgia is pulling herself up to stand, and cruising the furniture, shes figured out that if she pulls the cushions down off the couch that she can use them as steps and climb up! Im gunna have to watch her!! or take the cushions off!

Her favorite word is still 'Goo' or "agoo" or 'gog' ... thats the only ones she has tried.. she says ' bababa' by waving her hand over her lips...still no Mama or Dada...im starting to worry

arrrh, gotta go, shes awake!

Take care all

Carls xox

just quickly because i have charlotte sitting with me. i think i may have my sleeper back . Charlotte went down at 8 woke at 12 for a feed and then woke up at 8am. YAY. She has also started have good sleeps during the day normally 1- 1/2 hours in the morning and aout 3 hours in the afternoon. Its wonderful.
    When we went out for dinner the other night she was good for my mum, but when we went to get her she seen me and started to cry, and now she is very cling, but she is loving her cuddles. She is also trying to pull her self up.

Sarina has discovered food!!!! After almost 15 weeks of me offering her food several times a day and nearly always refusing to open her mouth....she has discovered that she likes my cooking!! She's taking about 1 tablespoon 3 times a day. Doesn't seem fussy either. Now i can get cooking properly for her!

What has been your most successful meat recipe?

She's also now pulling herself up onto everything so perhaps she figured she needed the extra energy to do it. She's teething (again) though so waking crying at night wanting cuddles so i'm still tired!! I went for a girls night out on Friday and came home at midnight to find my babysitter pacing the lounge with Sarina who was crying, poor thing.

Cassie - I have thought about playgroup - what activities did you do and how is it different to mothers group?

Carlys - I remember being totally wiped out from exhaustion with pregnancy. How are you coping with having to look after a little one too?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast