Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born in May 2006 #2

LOL Iím having trouble finding the time to post lately!! The day just seems to fly by and Iím left wondering exactly what Iíve doneÖ.

Kellee ~ I havenít organized by cupboards yetÖ well Iíve done the bathroom and the pantry and I have the bedrooms to doÖ and the garage is a mess as well LOL. It never ends does it?!? LOL @ the washing and Iím glad that your first family outing went well.

Vic ~ Glad to hear you got to go on your walk!

Sheree ~ Hey girl Ė glad to see you back on board! LOL @ Lachie wanting to play and mummy not being impressed! I love them being so awake & playful & I get upset with myself when Iím just to tired to enjoy it!!

Kim ~ You sound like you deal with Darcy exactly how I deal with Em Ė let them lead the way!!

Jess ~ Arghhh @ DH!!! And I finally did meet the ILís Ė highky uncomfortable LOL.

Shazz ~ I hope you enjoy the movie. It looks good Ė let us know how you rate it! Ryan is getting so big so quickly!!

Ange ~ I hope you find something that works for you soon. Re settling etc. I just put Emerson down when heís asleep or tired and he generally doesnít fight it unless heís too awake or hungry. If heís too awake I just sit with him until heís tired. Iím lucky I guess. But we donít have set feed times or nap times or anything. During the day heís in his rocker or on his playmate and heíll doze on and off as he pleases. And at night we seem to be getting a good period of sleep. I just go with what he wantsÖ Iím just lucky that so far he seems to want to sleep for an extended period of time at night LOL. If he is wanting playtime @ night I tend to put him on the other side of the bed (ah the joys of living by yourself!!) and leave the lamp on. He seems quite content to look around while I doze next to him & he eventually falls asleep! But that prob doesnít help you all..

Well we had a pretty slack day. In saying that by the time we got up and got ready, then saw DP and another friend the day was over!! Iíve got so much to doÖ and Iím not getting anywhere lol. Feeling slightly panicked because Iím not organized Ė any one else get this?

Does any one elses bubbas tend to graze on their food? Starting giving Em a bottle about an hour Ĺ ago and heís had 100mls in that time. Iíve burped him several times, changed him and tried to keep him awake and he still keeps dozing off and then will wake up after a bit wanting the bottle back. His last bottle was at about 7ish and he had 150mls then (I think). It doesnít bother me too much as I sit on the computer and feed him and then he goes to sleep for pretty much the whole night so I donít complain. Just wondering thatís all.

Well thatís it for me tonight Ė will chat tomorrow!!

Kellee Guest

Lea - wow, I don't know how you manage to do such a long post when you're feeding Em - I am no good at one handed typing. Re: the grazing thing - Toby sometimes has times where he has lots of little feeds in half an hour or so, although I think he gets what he needs in the first hit - it's just me wanting him to have more for the rest of it! I'm sure he's ok... babies are just like 'real' people IYKWIM - sometimes they're more hungry than other times. Sounds like you're doing the right things anyway.

Toby is doing well. He's a little less settled through the day today - not sure why, but he's still settling well at night. Although he had a pretty unsettled period between about 9 and 11 last night. Hope that it doesn't last! He only woke twice after that though and went straight back to sleep so I can't complain. I'm more worried about Charlie atm - he's got a fever and just when I think it's gone away it comes back. Hope he feels better soon.

Anyway, I think I hear Toby stirring so I'd better go. I'm having ANOTHER washing afternoon so I think I'll leave the 'puter on - might BBL.

My computer is left on all the time Kell LOL! I think I started that post before I started feeding so some of it was two hands but I do alot of one handed typing LMAO. I get hand cramps LOL but i'm getting quite fast! I thought it was fine/normal with Em but everyone harps on about how slow he feeds so I just thought I'd check. Other times he can finish a bottle in 15 mins flat LOL. Last night he finally went down at 12.30 and didn't wake until 8.40 so I was rapt!!!

Well I'm trying to actually get things done today and I'm doing pretty well so far. Just about to head to the shops and do a few things before coming home and tackling something on my 'To Do' list!!

BBL

ETA This typing with Em on my lap won't last long will it LOL??? Soon those little hands will be grabbing...

angelique Guest

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well

I wanted to ask the 2nd and third time mums how long it takes for babies to start sleeping through the night and not needing that dreaded 3am feed anymore!! Please give me hope!!

Kellee Guest

Lea - wow, that's incredible sleeping on Em's part! I have heard that ff babies can sleep 'better' than bf babies... that's certainly a positive aspect of ff! Hope you get that to do list down to a normal size today - I wanted to get more done too but Charlie has woken up so I can't go downstairs and do any washing. What a shame! I'll regret in a day or two when we've got nothing clean to wear though...

Angelique - I wish I could wave a magic wand for you and say that bubs could sleep through from NOW! Unfortunately they're not that kind to us. I think every bub is different. The only info I can give is based on my own experience with Charlie - he was a really unsettled sleeper for ages. When he hit about 6 months I was at the end of my rope (the only way he would go to sleep at this stage was by being fed to sleep, which was really draining on me - before this he used to respond well to rocking/patting but even that started not to work). We got in a MCHN who taught us to respond to his cries, and really listen to figure out what they meant. He started sleeping much much better once we learned to read his cues, but he didn't start sleeping through the entire night until he started on solids, as he still needed a quick feed sometime early in the morning to get him through. As I said, all babies are different, and my experience has been different to the experiences of mums who ff - one bub I know of who was ff started sleeping from around 9 pm to 5 am at 6 weeks. I know it really sucks right now. No one can prepare you for sleep deprivation - did you know they use it as a form of torture in some countries? LOL All I can tell you is that it DOES GET BETTER - it can only get better, not worse, from here on in. Did you get any ideas from the other forum about bubs not settling after 7 pm? I hope you're ok - I know it's really hard. Just take one day at a time - one day this phase will seem like it happened to someone else. You can do it!

We're having freezer meals tonight. I just can't be bothered cooking. The plan is to put the kids to bed (if Toby will agree to it! LOL) and snuggle on the couch and watch House with DH. Only two more sleeps until his last day at work for a whole month! Hooray! Anyway hope you're all having a rad day.

Oh Ang, I wish those feeds away as well, but thrn I feel bad cos I know she will grow fast enough as it is. But, how slack am I? some nights when she wakes up and I'm too cold/sleepy, I pick her up and snuggle her under the doona and she goes back to sleep for an hour or so. Mean mummy!

Right now we're fighting again. She doesn't want to sleep and I want her to. This morning she did have a couple of hours in the baby bjorn, which is more than she usually has in the day time.....guess I'll be up tonight...

DH and I had a huge row today....about my nagging and his laziness. I have been starting to resent the fact that he has no clue how to interract/look after Darcy and won't listen to my suggestions and so still has no clue and then gets cranky when shecries too loud. He doesn't hear her at night and I have to get up any ways, but then gets upset when I am irritated that he's falling asleep on the lounge after work. he's also irked by the fact that I don't get anything done (Darcy's very clingy during the day) so the house looks like a bomb hit it - but are his arms broken? Apparently they are and his eyes can't see to cleam up the mess he creates, and he can only hope dinner is ready.....grrrr sorry about the rant, just a bit p'ed off. Wasn't aware my DH was such a chauvanist, cos I wouldn't know what it's like to work......

angelique Guest

Hi kellee,

Thanks for your advice. I hope that my little one will start sleeping through at 3 months as well!! I am praying as she is formula fed and seems to be getting more hungry now that she is nearing 2 months. I know what you mean about sleep deprivation being a form of torture. It is a form of torture for me as I cant cope with less than 5 hours a night. I start to get really nutty. That is when mum comes in!!! Mine gets up at 2:30-3/3:30am for a feed then wakes at 6-7am for a feed and that has been happening for quite a while. Feeding her more milk at 10pm does not seem to help her go through more as her colic plays up at that time of the night so she jumps from the pain in her tummy all the time throughout her night sleep.

I sure hope it gets better because I am cracking under the sleep deprivation and you are right, no one no matter how hard they try can prepare you for the lack of sleep you experience day in day out.

No help about settling at 7pm from anyone. Will try and do the best I can at that time anyway. Wish me luck!!

xxooo

angelique Guest

Hi Scrappy,

You are not a mean mummy. I know exactly what you mean. I have katerina in another room and I am contemplating putting a single bed in there so I dont have to keep getting up 50 times. She seems to like being on her own anyway and i think it is a good habit. She is outgrowing her basinett fast. LEts wish those feeds away together!!

My husband is the same. He complains about the lack of thought gone into dinner and the state of the house all the time. HE thinks I am relaxing at home when in fact I am exhausted, sleep deprived and running around trying to make dinner, as well as trying to settle the little one hundreds of times during her sleeps. It is just not getting easier. I told my husband this will be our first and last child as he has grown to show no interest whatsoever in growing her up. It is left to myself and my mother. My mum always said that all men are the same and only 1% will get up and help. My husband seems to like watching TV more after work than putting his daughter to sleep. Lazy, lazy lazy. We have not been getting along well since we had the little one!!

Ang, sorry to hear about you and DH, but at least I'm not alone.

Well I've won this afternoon's battle (for half an hour at least). I too am having freezer dinner Kel and even if she wakes, tonight I'm going to finish my homemade vege soup - while it's hot. Even got a fresh roll to go with it. The day must be some sort of success???....
    ETA- I'm pretty sure she's just in there nattering to herself, oh well there's always later.

Ang, I'm hoping Darcy likes being in her own room too. Her's is upstairs and ours is downstairs
    Last edited by ~Kim~; June 28th, 2006 at 05:59 PM.

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Hi Girls,
    Wow has it been busy in here today....so many posts to read.

I can't believe it Phoebe has slept through the past 2 nights. 11pm to 8am and 10.30pm until 6am. She is awake more and more during the day now, but I don't mind that as long as we all get a good nights sleep...it definately makes a difference.

Angelique - I have a fantastic book which has been my bible for both of my children...it's called Settling Your Baby, a survival guide for parents Birth to 12 Months. It is available at most hospitals and through Child and Youth Health. It has great tips on settling techniques, establishing Feed-Play-Sleep patterns (daytime) for BF and FF babies, night time wakers, ideas for coping with evening colic...etc. It really is a great little book, that has been a life saver for me. Glad that you have support from your mum. The saying is definately true, men are from mars and women are from venus....they will never fully understand.

Never - hope the kids decided to co-operate and went to bed. LOL @ the things they will do not to have to go to sleep. mmmm that sounds like a typical evening here.

Scrappy - did you manage to finish your homemade vege soup, while still hot.

Hello to everyone I have missed.......Take CareX

Hi All,
    Just back from a 2 week stint at my parents place in Twba. Great to have some help during the day with DD whilst I bother with DS.
    Glad to hear all are well and am jealous of Lea that Em is sleeping through! My DD slept through from about now and began sleeping 13 hours a night at about 8 weeks. This little boy is somewhat different so far.

Here is my very belated effort in stats - good idea Vic.

1. name, age and family stats.
    Shannon 30, DH 33 (married 2003) Emma 16 months, Matty 6 weeks
    2. how did you come up with bubs name
    Best man at our wedding died last year and named Matthew after him.
    3. do you have family close by
    My folks live 2 hours away, sister 1and a half hours and inlaws a good 20 hours away.
    4. how many kids do you plan to have
    I wanted a big family - DH was happy to oblige until Poor Matty was born. Definately harder with 2 kids and dont know how anyone copes with more. I miss my sleep and have only managed to get the kids to sleep at the same time 4 times so far. Matty isnt sleeping overly well and am getting up to him about 3 times during the night and the feeds are taking about 2 hours by the time I get him off to sleep. Grrr
    5. are you BF or FF
    BF. Will BF for as long as I can this time. Weaned DD at 6 months to fall PG. I know it sounds selfish, but if I am not going to be allowed to have any more babies then I want to make the most of this maternal feeling.
    6. do you use cloth or disposable nappies
    Disposable hands down. I take my hat off to anyone who has the time for cloth
    7. Occupation
    Stay at home mum. I was a personal trainer in my prev life and had an Electronics trade before that. I am not interested in going back to either of these occupations at all.

DD starts swimming lessons on Sat and hope she enjoys the water as much as she did in summer. Thought I should keep the water famil up so she doesnt regress next summer.

I have noticed a few of you have had your little boys circumcised. We toyed with the idea and are still on the fence about it. We understand the medical reasons for and against but were there any personal reasons that swayed you towards it - or for that matter for those who arent getting it done - against it?

For all those who are struggling with difficult partners - Men are all the same. I agree with Vic though, give them the kids for a few hours - not just one or two as well as a list of jobs to do (make it achievable as they are men) and leave him with it. Make sure that Bubby has just woken from a big sleep first to make it really worth while. I remember I did a patchwork workshop when DD was 4 weeks old and she slept for 5 hours for my DH!!! I was so annoyed cause he thought it was really easy to look after kids. His mind has since changed and now appreciates the effort required to look after them. Still needs a bit of a reminder every now and then though - but I too get on my high horse at times expecting him to drop everthing when I want him to (a habit I really need to loose).

Any way, I dont want to go overboard with my first post back - you guys will expect it every time. My little man has finally fallen asleep across my lap and I am off to bed as it is 330 and I need sleep!

Be good

We got Lachie done in Brissy too, Circumcision Australia I believe they are called.

re the circumcision debate, how do you go about finding a doctor that will do it for you? The hospital where Cooper was born are against it, so it wasn't discussed. I have no idea where to begin, but Tony and I agree and would like to have Cooper done.

Hi Alison, even though the hospital is against it, they could still tell you who could do it for you. Failing that, ask your local GP, he should be able to point you in the right direction.

Re the circ debate (yes I have a girl but used to work in theatre at the kids Hospital and have done hundreds). I agree with Vic on getting it done early. No matter what it is still painful so it's best done whilst they can't remember.

Well as soon as I finished typing last night, guess who woke up. I went in and here she is totally unwrapped with all blankets kicked off! Guess those wraps are too small for security - will use a cot sheet from now on I think. She still has that dreadful newborn Morrow reflex with her arms and keeps waking herself up if not wrapped. For those of you with kids, whendid you stop wrapping them??

While I'm on the questions,, I have a few more...
    When are my periods supposed to come back?
    Do your nipples ever lose the awful sensitivity?
    Darcy is only feeding for about five minutes each boob now. She seems to drain it OK, but that is a huge change from the hour she used to feed. Do you think she's getting enough?

Nat is Em putting on weight? Did you get him weighed?

Darcy has been with DH this moring for the first time while I went to the Docs. It doesn't count though cos he took her to see his parents and so he won't know what it's like to look after her. Was not happy leaving her though, specially as he was taking her there. I left him some things to do while I went out, but he said "How am I going to do that and look after her?" WELL DUUHH!! So of course I've done them while he's away.

This whole post natal eclampsia has turned into a saga. I have finished my tablets, but now each time I want to fall pregnant I have to have a battery of testds and monitoring. I have to have a whole heap of tests when Darcy is 6months old too. Man, the next one better be an angel in the sleep department.....I must deserve at least that....LOL

We are going away for the weekend to Griffith (6 hours away), so may be away a couple a days. Have a great weekend everyone.

Vic yes I am pretty sure that was his name Dr Russell. We couldn't find the place as it is not labelled on the front of the clinic "Circumcision Australia", only his name. It is such a shame it is such a sensitive topic, each to their own I say!

And yes for those who are asking re: circumcision, they couldn't stress enough to me how vital it was to get them done early and that when I took him was the optimal time. They say once a baby starts to get puppy fat it hurts more. Lachie wasn't too disturbed by it at all, just gave him a feed afterwards and he was fine, such a brave little boy.

Oh Vic seeing as you are the expert on this, well kinda, can you help me. I couldn't take Lachie back for his 2 week check up with them, as we live 4 hours away, but they told us that tomorrow we have to pull back the skin from the shaft???? I am so clueless with boys, can you explain in detail how I am to do this and what skin they are talking about, I think I know but I need a little reassurance. Oh and also, it all appears to have healed up nicely, but the shaft (head) is really purple, is this normal???

Thanks for your help

Enjoy your time away Kim, missed your post.

Vic, you explained that magnificiently and yes we are still using the benadine stuff too, I wonder how much longer we have to use that stuff for? I am still laughing from your post!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast