Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2005 #4

hi gals,i remember with my first 2 it was recomended that baby get started on solids from about 4 months old,please check with the nurse to be sure as you dont want bubs to be hungry.
    chantelle wsas weighed today,she is now 5.1 kilos or 11 lbs 6 oz,she is still a little one
    she was nearly at the 50 percentile for her age for weight.
    50th percentile for head cercumferance and only 25th percentile for length,she is still so little but they say her weight gain from visit to visit is still perfect,she is just a small baby.they also told me the creases in her legs where the fat is ,is not right,it is uneven and indicates that she may have a prob with her hips,they want me to organise an xray with the gp to check.
    take care nikki

nikki - I think now they reccomend closer to 6 months than 4 months for solids. Good luck with the hips - I hope she is OK. Emma is also still small. She last weighed 4.72kg or 10pounds.

Tracey - I'm glad all went well today, I'm sorry you lost your Grandfather.

Kell & Kristie - why did they say not to let them sleep in the bouncer? I put Emma in hers every day 8-[

Nikki - I hope the xray shows nothing is wrong. I too have heard 6 months is now the recommended age for solids rather than 4 months, but you know how opinions change so quickly! Give them another couple of years and they'll be saying 4 months again!

Dylan weighs 6.5kg now so he's back up to 90th percentile where he was at birth. \/ He'd dropped down to 60th for weight for a while there but had always been 90th for length and head. 8-[

Linda - I was also told not to let Dylan sleep in his bouncer, but I do anyway! They said it forms bad habits and that sleep should only be associated with the cot, but when you have a baby who won't sleep in his cot in the daytime then I figure it's better to sleep in the bouncer than not sleep at all!! He settles really well in his cot at night, so he's not silly!

Can someone who has the Wonder Weeks book (I've bought one on ebay but it hasn't arrived yet) tell me if there's a reason why Dylan is waking every 3 hour over night again? Is there another "growth spurt" around the 11 week mark? We had a few really goos nights of sleeping through, but now he's back to his pattern from when he was 7 weeks of waking 2-3 times through the night. ](*,)

Thanks Donella - thats not much of a reason is it? Emma has day sleep all the time in her rocker but still sleeps no worries in her cot - and I dont want to have to up & dopwn the stairs all day with her in her cot. I have only heard of the wonder weeks, but Emma has been waking once during the night the last 2 nights so I guess its just a growth spurt :-k

Nikki - I'm a bit worried now that you mentioned that the fat rolls on Chantelle's legs were the reason they thought something was wrong with her hips. Just after reading your post I changed Emma & her fat rolls dont line up either. She has a clinic appt on Tuesday so I will get it checked out then

hi all, I thought it was just Jess but it must be a growth spurt as she was starting to sleep thru the nights, but is now waking every 3.5hrs thru the night (I put dummy in and pad it out to 4hrs) for feeds....
    I thyink it must be a growth spurt....the fact that so many of our babies are going thru the same thing.....

Kristie - Benjamin is still getting all he needs from his own private milk bar. I'll be trying to introduce foods around 6 months. In the sleep department, Benjamin wakes screaming every so often. I call them "baby bad dreams". It's like he's woken from a nightmare or something.

Donella - It's hard to know why they have some days where they sleep fantastically and others they seem more unsettled. Benjamin has growth spurt days where he sleeps really well, and then the next few days he catches up on his awake time by being a bit unsettled and not wanting to sleep, even at 2am in the morning... He did that to me a little while ago, and he woke up with extra dimples

Melissa

Funnily enough my Wonder Weeks arrived today! It's an amazing book - tells you exactly what developments/changes babies go through each week and really explains these periods of restlessness. The first 4 changes occur at 5, 8, 12 and 19 weeks (for full-term babies, otherwise adjust accordingly) and they can be unsettled for the week leading up to each phase. So as Dylan was born a week early, even though he is 11 weeks old tomorrow, is actually going through his 12 week change atm. The book also gives you ideas for new games/activities after each change to make use of the new abilities the babes are discovering. It's fascinating!!

Hi all, wow it's been busy in here! I've been feeling pretty tired lately and haven't really had time to even read posts, let alone reply... I am way behind with the news, so sorry no personals. Looks like most of you are doing pretty well though, glad to hear it

Tamsin slept for 6 hours last night, midnight to six! Yay! (This is the first time she's slept more than 4 hours at night.) Although she wouldn't go back to sleep for 2 hours after that, which I wasn't so happy about - I am *not* a morning person

DH and I took Tamsin to her first new parents' group on Wednesday, which was quite good. It's good to meet a few local parents with babies about Tamsin's age. We didn't get time for all the stuff the CYH had planned though!

Gotta go, Tamsin is calling again... Take care all

Kazzy Guest

Hi All,

Donella - I have the Wonder weeks too - just read your post so sorry about not replying earlier. It helps to know that what our babes are going thru is normal and to see where they are headed.

Nikki and Linda, - Eden had uneven skin folds too - we were sent for an ultrasound because she was breech and that is when they discovered a problem with her right hip. Hence why she is in a harness. Hopefully Chantelle and Emma will be fine and will not need any intervention. Let me know how you go. When is the ultrasound Nikki?

Kell - Yay about the cast coming off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic news. I bet you have a HUGE bath planned or maybe many baths or even a SWIM!!!!!!!

Eden is now 5.28kilos - I don't know how long as she cannot be measured with the harness on. It seems like all of our girls on this forum are little.

Tracey - sorry about your Grandfather - did he get to meet Jordan??

Fenella - hopefully this will be the start of Tamsin sleeping longer and longer for you!! Were there any other Dads apart from your DH at the group??

Well, my back is still playing up - have it strapped at the moment - wish my hormones would sort themselves out as I think that they are one of the reasons my back is bad - still quite loose. Back to pyhsio on Tues. It is improving though. I have never had a bad back before so it is a bit of a shock not to be able to do all the things I want (need) to do. Hard to look after a three and a half year old and a baby. Here's hoping that it will just keep improving and be better sooner rather than later.

Kazzy
    xx

Kazzy - my back has been bad too and my physio has started me on a pilates routine which is really helping. Ask your physio if they know somewhere you can do that (through a physio is better than through a gym as they will structure it to your needs).

Hi!

We had our mchn check up today - Louis is 5.8kg and 59cm long. It seems he has slid back down the scale slighty againi but is still gaining enough to not worry...... I'm wondering whether I should offer him some extra feeds as he is only getting 5-6 feeds per day (5 if he sleeps through which he's only done twice) The health nurse said that in his milestones he is doing really well though - some things are at 4 month old level! Woo hoo.

I've finally added some photos to our website if you want to have a look!

Sorry to hear some of you have sore backs. I do too but not very bad. Just aches after rocking Louis to sleep everytime! Will have to get him out of that......not sure how though. I've heard a few people talk about controlled crying. I don't really like the idea but might give it a go and see. I tried it once on xmas morning and it worked and he had a 2 hour sleep so......

Donella - What does it say for the twelve week changes?? It sounds like a great book. Louis has gone to waking nearly every hour through the night - grrrr!

Fenella - Glad to hear Tamsin is doing well!

I was really naughty and gave Louis a little taste of rice cereal....I know your not meant to but I couldn't help myself. He gulped it down and didn't even spit any out...hmmmmm now that I've done it though I'm going to wait until he's 4 months to try it again. I know your meant to wait until 6 months these days but I just don't think I'll be able too.... [-X

Sorry I haven't written any more personals - I'm a bit tired! Will catch up tomorrow!

Hi Everyone

thanks for all your kind words about my grandfather. He did get to meet Jordan and he saw him the day before he passed away so I am pleased about that.

Krisvee - Love Louis's website. He is a gorgeous little boy. I cant beleive he is holding his head up so high during tummy time. Although Jordan can hold his head up sitting up during tummy time he generally sucks the mat or his hands....

dee73 and Kazzy - Sorry to hear about your sore backs. YOu should ensure that DHs are giving you all the massages you need.

Fenella - YEAH on Tamsins 6 hr sleep. Jordan has one last night which was awesome. I hope we are in for another tonight. It is so nice to get such a good continous sleep.

Jamie and I are off to lakes entrance tomorrow for a couple days so will catch up when we return. Hopefully with some nice stories of our trip. I hope Jordan is a good traveller. [-o<

HUGS TO BUBS

I made a mistake before when I said Dylan was at his 12 weeks change - because he was born a week early, if he wwent to term he would only be 10 weeks today, not 11 weeks. Very confusing!

Kristie - the 12 week changes according to the book are: the ability to recognize changes in sights, sounds, tastes, smells and touch. She calls it the leap into the world of smooth transitions as baby is noticing subtle changes around him.

Tracey - Dylan does the same thing during tummy time... he has been able to hold his head up from birth, but when he's on his tummy just sucks his fingers or drools on the mat!!

hi gals,
    kazzy dont know when the appointment is yet will make it next week.
    we are off to lorne for 6 days and are leaving in the next hour so i hope you are all safe and well while i am gone and that those little bubbies behave and remain healthy and happy.
    take care i will be back on line next thursday arvo.
    nikki

Just a quick one from me...

Kazzy - Did you have an epidural? I have problems getting out of bed everytime because my back. I've been told it was because of the epidural I had. It took the anethetist 2 or 3 goes at putting it in and I can remember feeling him scraping bone with the neddle. My DH says I still have a bruise there, like it won't go away or there's damage or something.

Hi to all, and have a great weekend!

Melissa

That's awful Melissa- I had an epi, but it went in no worries. Personally, my bad back is just strain from the way I lift and rock Dylan. It's getting better now that I'm not breastfeeding so much too, so I think the way I was holding him was also straining some muscles.

I'd talk to your doc about the remaining bruise if I were you because that doesn't sound like it should still be acausing you problems aftre all this time.

Kell Guest

Hi

Linda - Like Donella said the nurse told me that if Will slept in his bouncer he would develop bad sleep habits and that i should try other settling methods. I figure that if he sleeps well in his cot overnight still then it's not a problem, if that stops then i will take him out of his bouncer. He can sleep anywhere as long as he sleeps There is supposed to be a bad growth spurt around 12 weeks, Will had a few days of bad sleeping etc so that may be what Dylan is having.
    It is so hard to know what is happening when a baby suddenly changes their behaviour - i find it really satisfying though when I finally figure out what is going on and can adjust for it.

Linda and Nikki - definitely get the difference in the rolls checked, Molly didn't have a difference though and still had hip problems. It is less trouble to fix at this age, but probably not much less stressful and upsetting. Good luck with it [-o<

We are going to the central coast for two weeks from Monday, after Mollys cast comes off which will be ok - staying with in-laws though 8-[
    Bye all...

Kell Guest

PS Tracey so sorry about your grandfather...

Kazzy - I can't wait to give Molly a bath, and then up on the coast we will take her swimming \/

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast