1234 ...

thread: Babies Born October 2007 #3

Jul 2005
    Sydney

kellie- Tyron is having EBM in a bottle and he is drinking 120mls, not sure if this is a lot or not but thats what he seems to want. However ive started putting a thickener in it cause he gets very cranky after a feed and wont be laid down on his back, and spewing a lot.
    Im waiting for the MCHN to call me, after hearing nothing int he last 2 weeks i rang them yesterday, and they've put in my details for someone to call and come out to see us. It would have been a lot more helpful to come out in the last few weeks with all the bf probs i have had.

Tyron had on his cranky pants last night, he end up sleeping with us from 11pm-3.30am i think it came down to he just wanted some cuddles.

Ange i would have done the same thing, hope you go ok but doesnt sound like a comfortable trip ahead of you.

BellyBelly Member

May 2005
    Brisbane

Kellie - I use the formula recommendations to how much EBM I express. I think for newborns it is around 60ml of water and the formula which takes it to around 80ml. Lachlan seems to only drink around 40 - 60ml so I only express that much. Even though you can add newer EBM to the already expressed EBM, any leftovers need to be thrown out and it is too hard to get in the first place to waste. I tend to get enough for a feed at one time so haven't needed to combine.

Finding bb are getting fuller now that I am expressing. Have only done it twice and is more of a just in case bubs needs a feed overnight or I am out and DH needs to do a feed.

Any advice re EBM would be appreciated.

Jul 2005
    Sydney

EBM can be stored in a freezer for up to 3months and a deep freezer can be up to 6months.
    always label the date, amount & time you have expressed it.
    EBM can be stored in the fridge i think for approx 2weeks

You can buy freezer bags from chemists to put your EBM in and comes with labels (they are about $9 for a pk of 10, ive used 5 packets so far!)
    and thats right you must discard any you have heated that baby does not take.
    To heat it i dont think it should be microwaved but warmed in boiling water.
    HTH?

CatherineL Guest

Formula and EBM quantities are different. The amount is calculated by their body weight.... I'll have to ring Danny and ask him if he remembers how the nurse told us to calculate Ro's feeds. I think it should be somewhere around 100mls, but we always found Ro would take more than what the recommended quantity was, so I always offered her as much as she wanted.

Jul 2006

My midwife said for Jasmine (who was 3.5kg when she worked it out) needs 70ml every 3 hours or 90 mls every 4 hours. I feed anywhere between 3-6 hours and she gets 110ml of formula or EBM depending what im feeding.

Feb 2007

Wow Ryan has 120mls every 3hours and still whinges for more lol

Anyone found the tv really fcinates their bubbies? Ryan loves Futurama when I put it on or watching Daddy play Worlf of Warcraft, think it's the big bright colours he's been crying since 7am and is now watching Ready, Steady cook with big eyes lol he's already rotting his brain! lol
    Last edited by LadyRaven; November 7th, 2007 at 01:04 PM.

Mar 2007
    Live from the Gold Coast

ange... what a ****box idea to drive so far on a sore tailbone. i'd be spitting too. there's always the wotif website for last minute accom.

we had one of 'those' nights last night. mr cold has been very odd. occasionally doing great sleeps, then taking twice as long to settle. after sleeping till nearly midnight he sat wide awake being a pest until 2am. dh and i were just ... bah... bleary eyed and ****ed. i ended up sleeping on the floor next to james for an hour or so before i went back to my bed. poor little kid, so miserable with his cold. he is getting better though - and asleep as we speak, so all is not lost.

today's question: who is going to have another baby? i know it's soon, but i also know some people have definite ideas.

personally - you gotta be fuggin kidding, after what i experienced with m/s, pregnancy, big baby and labour... pfft. no way, jose.

anyone else?

Jul 2006

Viv id love to say we are having another one soon...but soon isnt for another 12 months now....

I miss being pregnant and feel so awful and empty. I have no idea how ill ever say enuf is enuf kids wise

The 11 months and 3 days gap between Jasmine and Chelsea is close enuf!

rallybbek Guest

Well, Toby is going well, the girls have been driving me insane - being naughty, getting into things and making horrible mess whereever they go. Got out of bed to a 1kg tub of yogurt spread everywhere ( it just dropped mum!) and no ham for lunch ( where is it? have a look inside the dogs tummys mum). I am 18kg down from my prepregnancy weight! Only 16.5kg to lose to get down to prefamily weight! hehehehehe. As for other kids....mmmmm, be nice if I could cope, but not likely!
    Bec

Nov 2006
    brisbane

Oh ange you poor thing! hope you can go all that way and not be in too much pain!

Viv We always said we would start trying when he was one! but after the labour and no sleep we have decided to start trying again when he is 2! We would like maybe 3 or 4 kids!

Kim I am with you i miss him kicking me in the ribs and moving around! I often catch myself rubbing my belly!

On a brighter note You may have read in the message thread that Ktgirl is having twins! We have been friends for over 10 yrs and they have had such a tough time falling pg, so we are just over the moon for them! So it made my day!

Myles is getting into some sort of routine which is great! He is just too dam cute for me to not watch him all the time! I will try to upload some pics into my gallery ( havent done it before so bear with me!)

Hello mummies and bubbies! xoxo

Jul 2005
    Sydney

well i always said i wanted 3 kids but at the moment 2 is it for me! i might change my mind later on ofcourse but someone should remind me about the newborn routines and elder siblings mischeif!
    oh no Mo! sorry your girls are mucking up...are they getting together to see what things they can get up to together..

celtic- Tyron is having 120mls also!
    look forward to the pics of Myles! it so great to hear of someone falling pg after such a long hard road to become pg. a friend of my gf "Starsha" (if u have seen her on here)is also having twins, she had been trying to fall pg for a few yrs also and even though i know her but not well i am so over the moon for it it couldnt have happened to a more deserving person!

Feb 2007

More kids?? Umm, no don't think I'll be going back for 2nds anytime soon!! I want to be able to enjoy and concentrate on one at the moment! Maybe when he's 3 or 4 I may want another but after all the pain I think I want my own body back for a while!!

Nickers-that's good I'm not the only one with a lil porker

Why is it they can whinge for hours and as soon as you cuddle them on you they go to sleep just before you're expecting people to come around?! The second I mvoe him I know the biggest whinge fest is coming *sigh* lol

Feb 2007

Has anyone recieved their birth certificate yet in the mail? I got the baby bonus and they've charged me but still no certificate in the mail and I need it to open a savings account for him and to do all the medicare stuff for Daddy and book him into daycare etc

Nov 2006
    brisbane

yeah we are still waiting on the bitrh certificate! My nana wants to open an account for himand we need it! Also to claim our free holiday for bubbas born on the 1st! x

Jul 2005
    Sydney

got the baby bonus within one week of sending it but no birth cert yet.
    you can update them on medicare health funds b4 you get the birth cert, we have already added Ty to both. my health care just asked for his details and added and medicare already had record (from baby bonus info) and gave us the temporary slip until the cards are sent in the mail.

LOL IKWYM about not wanting to move bub when they are settled. Tyron is in the swing atm i was going to move him to wrap and put to bed but he is quiet happily sleeping there so i've left him in it.
    Sometimes i think bub just wants cuddles also. I think this is what Tyron wanted last night. he was screaming like a pork chop everytime u put him down and as soon as he was in bed between dh and me and went straight to sleep and was content.

oh yeah Amber thats awesome u get the free trip lucky ducky!

Nov 2006
    brisbane

Myles is a cuddly bubby he loves to fall asleep in the HAB! I dont mind Hugging and loving him to sleep! and if he is happy in the hammock or on our bed i leave him!
    Myles will be asleep then as soon as i have made my brekky/lunch/dinner he wakes up and wants attention *bless his cotton socks* They seem to have a nack for knowing when your time is hey!x

CatherineL Guest

Sorry - I had to go out before and the phone rang, so I just hit post. It's 150mls per kilo a day... So you divide that by how ever many feeds you have... but at the end of the day, baby should have taken around that estimate regardless of how many feeds. Formula is different to breastmilk, because they can drink copious amounts because they get confused as to when they are full. Where as breastmilk has a hormone in it which signals the brain they have had enough. Something like that anyway...

DEFINATELY can't wait to have another one... We are both already so excited and aren't going back on contraception - we had lots of trouble falling pregnant with Rochelle and went to an IVF clinic because we were told Danny's swimmers couldn't swim... but two of them must have learnt to swim! So we will just see what happens and take it as it comes.

Ange you poor chook! Where do these men get these ideas from huh? Have you had your coccyx checked yet?

ETA - I feel blessed, or maybe she just isn't old enough yet? Ro sleeps through everything, vaccum, blender, ice crusher, being moved around and picked up and put back down... I just assumed all babies did that!
    Last edited by CatherineL; November 7th, 2007 at 02:59 PM.

BellyBelly Member

May 2005
    Brisbane

thanks ladies for the advice re EBM quantities. I went out for an hour or so today by myself and DH gave him EBM. There was only about 40ml there and he drank all of it. I came home soon after and he was squawking for another feed. So I will definitely express more. I seem to do a lot of feeds during the day, more than every 3 hours between feeds, so maybe I am always topping up rather than letting him get really hungry. I find most times the only way I can settle him is to bring out the boob. I find his frantic crying distressing and the boob settles him, hence the very frequent feeds.

Re more kids. DH and I have always said we wanted 1. But when we had only 1 dog we got another one within 6 months to keep the other company LOL. Given it took 2.5 years to fall pregnant, and my age (34 in Feb) I don't have a lot of time to play with if we wanted another. Not sure about how I feel about another just yet.

Kim - I totally feel the same way about being sad about not being pg anymore. Even though I had a few issues, it was nice to be one of those special people that everyone treated as important and special. Kind of like when you are engaged and getting married. I said this to one of my friends and she reminded me that I have now become part of the special mummy's club - responsible for the care and development of another life, and that is very special and important. We are all going through a stage of adjustment, some of us have more adjustment to do than others.

Goody re baby bonus. Called up about it yesterday, so would be good to get it within a week or two. Nothing in mind to spend it on, but great that it arrives so quickly.

Thanks Cath for the details EBM. So, as he is currently around 3.1kg, he should be having a total of app 470ml of BM/day. As most of the feeds are from the breast (and you can't tell how much he is taking from that), it would be safe to portion the EBM to around 60 - 80ml if he has 8 feeds/day. In the end better to express more and throw out what is left over than underfeed.
    Last edited by Saffi; November 7th, 2007 at 03:22 PM. : response re EBM

1234 ...