... 34567 ...

thread: Babies Born ~ March 2012 #3

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

razz - great to hear from you...i hope the neocate starts working soon. life is definitely more hectic with two!!

elocin - yay for a good night! i only say cosleeping because my ds was a very frequent waker until maybe 21-22 months & the only way i coped was to cosleep. i didnt start until he was 5 months & actually getting out of bed was soul destroying - esp in winter!! your weekend away sounds lovely. it will be awesome to have some time with just you, your dh & c

keeley slept through last night : well she went down at about 9 & didnt wake for a feed until 4.45. then back to sleep until 6.45. im in shock because ds didnt do a 1 wake up night until he was almost 6 months & theb didnt do it again until he was almost 18 months.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by sloane; June 7th, 2012 at 07:38 AM.

Nov 2008
    Melbourne

Sloane, Yay for a sleep through! You must feel like a new woman today! Hope everything is well with you guys.

Elocin, so glad to hear you got a good night after yesterday. Fingers crossed it continues through today for you.

Razz, lovely to hear from you. Hopefully the neocate starts working soon. I so hear you on how much harder it is with two. I feel like I'm struggling a bit at the moment...

Buffy, sorry to hear you had a tough day yesterday. Sometimes it can feel like two steps forward and then on giant leap back can't it. How's Miss W going with her wind? We're still struggling with it here, but I am finding that the gripe water is helping.

Sararose, 11 sleep throughs in a row! Wow, I'm super jealous, you lucky thing!

Peanutter, anymore signs of teeth? DS1 started teething around the 4 month mark from memory, but I think they took awhile to come through... A couple of times I've thought that Cooper looks like the bottom ones are starting to show, but when I have a feel there's nothing there... I have to say, teething is definately not something I'm looking forward to! Do you have any plans for your birthday yet?

Nickers, you've had such a tough run with illness you poor thing. Fingers crossed everyone is getting healthy and will stay that way for you.

Fuzzy, how did your exam go?

AFM, well where to start? Cooper is doing really well at the moment. I'm scared to write this incase I jinx myself, but he's been self settling for the last week or so which has been wonderful. I've caved and excepted that he is just one of those babies that 'needs' a dummy and gee we're all better for it. Now I just wrap him up, pop him in bed and pop the dummy in and he goes to sleep, it's blissful. But we're still quite a way off the magical sleep through. Last week I thought we might be getting close because we had three nights where he went 7 hours between feeds, but since then we've been back to the standard two overnight wake ups at around 1.30am and 4.30am.

I am feeling like I'm struggling a bit at the moment though. I'm finding it very stressful trying to juggle the two of them and the lack of solid sleep isn't helping. I feel quite guilty for DS1 because I am nowhere near as patient with him as I used to be, the poor little thing. It doesn't help that he is at a really difficult stage where he wants to do everything himself and doesn't want to do the basics like get dressed or have his nappy changed or walk. When it's just one on one with either of them, I'm fine. But the minute both of them are awake I start feeling very tense as I try to keep everyone happy and juggle the things that need to be done. I think DS1 is still adjusting to life with a sibling, and is acting up a bit in an effort to get attention. DH finds it really frustrating because he gets lots of attention, but I tend to think it's not so much about how much attention he's getting, but more that Cooper is also getting our attention if that makes sense. Anyway, hopefully this stage will pass soon, or I'll find it a bit easier to manage soon because I really want to be the easy-going, fun mummy that DS1 had a couple of months ago.

Jan 2009
    pakenham, victoria

yay for a better night gorgeous thats so good! have a great weekend awa,y so jealous!
    Miss E yay for self settling!!!!! i still need to go in and put A's dummy in 50 million times before she goes to sleep!
    Sloane, totally jealous of the sleeping through. id give my right arm for a solid block!

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Razz - good work hon, sounds like he's doing brilliantly so far. Don't feel guilty - think of those beautiful smiles you're getting!

Sloane, what a fantastic sleep! Go K!

Miss E *hug* try not to put so much pressure on yourself. I can't imagine how tough it must be to juggle more than one. It's still only been a short time, hopefully your DS1 will get more used to things as your mini Cooper gets older and they can interact and enjoy each other. I'm sure you're doing a brilliant job. W's wind isn't too bad thanks, I just have to watch out for poop day! Haven't tried gripe water, would you recommend it over Infacol?

Skye, we have a dummy-lover too!

Elocin, please thank Connor for me for giving his lovely mama some much-needed rest. That is so good to hear. Very jealous about your BB trip, we love it there - have a fabulous time! Send me a pic of the beach, am craving sand and sun big time.

Had a pretty good day and night yesterday. W went down in her bassinette with minimal fuss for all naps though they were rarely longer than an hour each, so I reckon she's snacking a bit. Ah well, all helps the tummy grow! Are other bubs still feeding every two hours-ish during the day?

W's a smart cookie and knows how to make me do her bidding. She does this fast breathing thing and coos, then goes really quiet waiting for me to rush in. Escalates it up to the seagull yell, quiet again, then yell, yell, yell! Stops the instant she sees me, which is lovely, the little faker. She only gets to full-blown crying when she's really upset - yesterday the cat scared her, and she let him have it!

Pretty good overnight, one wake up between 11:00 and 6:00 but I've been spoilt by our five-hour stints last week!

Loads of cute 'talking' and her head control is insane, she loves being on her belly or my shoulder looking around. Is also fascinated by her reflection, typical girl!

Nov 2008
    Melbourne

LOL skye, we still have to put the dummy in a squillion times too, but he does go to sleep by himself eventually. Can't wait till he can pick it up and put it in himself.

Buffy, I used infacol with DS1 but haven't found it as effective with Coop's, for him the Gripe Water works much better. Coops is also feeding every two hours or so during the day. He usually only takes one side at a feed, so I think he is snacking a bit too. I try to get him to have the other side, but he gets quite grizzly most of the time when I try. If he does have the other side though, he will go a bit longer between feeds.

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Thanks Miss E.

Question for you ladies: when did you/will you start your bubs with swimming lessons? Thinking of taking Willow from six months, would like to start earlier but the wait lists are crazy here.

Feb 2009

We will get C into swimming lessons at about 6 months... DH is so excited to start!! C loves the bath so much, I really hope he is going to be a water baby like DH and the girls.

I wish C loved lying on his tummy like W does. He has a super strong neck and stretches to look around, but isn't a fan of tummy time. He does like it when I roll him from tummy to back but gets upset when I leave him on his belly.

C is still feeding every 2ish hours during the day. I love it... It's like our quiet time together. Except when there's someone else in the room then Connor spends his whole time following them with his eyes and sometimes doing the whole niplash thing... Ouch!!

Self settling has been a bit hit and miss. Tuesday was 2 hours for 30 mins sleep. Yesterday was 20 mins for 30 mins sleep. Today was a write-off. I do love going in there when he does his little seagull squawk... Best smiles and giggles ever.

He's just fallen asleep in my arms so will pop him in bed and finish packing for tomorrow. I'm so excited to get away for a few days!!

Jul 2008
    Melbourne

buffy - we started ds at about 9 months. im thinking we'll start K at the same-ish - mostly because of the way the terms are - aiming to start at the beginning of next year. we could start term 4 this year but ds still needs to have me in the pool until he's 3.5 & that'll be the start of next year. hmmmm...was that long winded enough for you?!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Thanks Sloane! Not long-winded at all

W is all lined up for lessons from September when she's six months-ish. Found a great new place with lovely facilities and only eight babies to a class. No wait list, we just call the week before and they add more classes if they need to. Think it might be a fun one for DH to do on Saturdays.

Next on the list: schools. This one is going to cause arguments for sure. DH wants private all the way, I'm all for public, so we'll see. I went public and look how good I turned out!

I've barely seen our little seagull the past couple of days, she's been sleeping heaps after her rough day earlier in the week; she even re-settled after an hour's nap earlier, which never happens. Am wondering if it might be a growth spurt, as all of her 000s are really tight and her feet are pushing out the end of her swaddles! It feels like she got heavier and longer overnight. Waiting for her to wake up now so we can go for a walk. She still hates the pram, so am going to try wrapping her up so it feels like her bassinette.

I hear the ra, ra, ra - have a wonderful Friday arvo all.

Jun 2011

I'm here but only reading at the moment I don't know how y'all manage a good post... Hugs to you all x

Nov 2008

Hi Girls!

My exam went well, at least I think it did. Will have to wait until results are released to find out exactly how I did. I ended up leaving them with 150ml of expressed milk and DD1 was so excited at the prospect of feeding the baby and then they didn't even need it! I finished the exam early so was home an hour before I thought I'd be and she was asleep on DF so I popped it into the freezing for another time I actually used a tip, I can't remember who posted it, but I fed bub and then expressed from the other boob at the same time. Also got her to latch on to get another let down a couple of times. Was way easier than what I remember the first time round.

We are doing well, been super busy in a good way. Miss M is loving reaching out and grabbing things at the moment. The pram is good, they didn't have the second seat so I had to order that online and then it rained for 3-4 days so we've only been for a couple of walks.

Buffy - Glad to hear your little miss is settling better. What kind of techniques do they teach you at sleep school? I suppose the hardest thing is then going home and trying to implement the same things whilst also having a life and trying to schedule things around sleeps. DD is feeding around every 3 hours during the day and a bit more frequently in the lead up to bed time. That sounds like an awesome b'day present for your DH! We won't be doing swimming lessons here until at least 18months. The pool here is not heated and closes from May-August I think so probably end of next year we'll start.

Nickers - I really hope that you are getting a break from all of this sickness! I can't believe that so many kids from the same class all came down with it. Maybe the school needs to implement some regular handwashing throughout the day. I hate it when people let their sick kids out to infect everyone else. We stopped going to playgroup because even the coordinator would take her kids when they had green snot dripping out of their noses!

PN - hope your DH's exam went well too! Did you decide on what you're going to do for your b'day? No teeth here yet, although she does love me massaging her gums and is drooling heaps and sticking everything in her mouth. She found her thumb yesterday, it is soo cute. Will have to post some pics from the computer. I fed DD1 til she was 18 months and she never bit me once, did plenty of pulling her head away with my nipple still in her mouth though.

Sloane - Your DS is going to love his party! DD1 had a big party for her 2nd b'day and still remembers it. We did cake with some balloons for her 3rd birthday with my parents and her best little friend and she loved it just as much. They're easy to please at this age, a few balloons, cake and lollies and they're happy. Is K still feeding every 2 hours? I bet the ABA are always looking for passionate people to become counsellors, sounds like a great idea. I think I remember reading somewhere that it takes 2 years to do the training, have you looked into it?

Elocin - Sending you hugs! Definitely get your rocking chair in your room asap! The cold could be waking C up even more as well, making it harder to get him back to sleep. How did your visit with the inlaws go? Enjoy your weekend away

Sararose - Yay for H sleeping through! Can't see it happening anytime soon here, DD1 didn't until after 18 months

Skybie - Did your older girls have dummies too? DD1 never took one. I tried to give DD2 one and she likes to suck on it but I have to hold it there. But now that she's found her thumb she probably won't need it.

Razzberry - Hope your DS' belly starts to settle down soon. You are doing the right thing for your kids, try not to beat yourself up about it.

Miss E - Yay for self settling, let's hope he keeps it up! My DD wakes around the same times, 1.30 and 4.30, unless she goes to bed later then she's normally awake around 4 and 6.30. It is hard to manage 2, isn't it? I often think that it's harder to handle DD1 because we haven't done it before, whereas a baby seems easy to take care of now. Hopefully when we have a third bub DD2 as a toddler will seem easy as well. Try to stay calm and take a breath before you react to things. That's what I'm trying to follow atm, makes me less likely to yell at DD1

LCT76 - I actually made Milana's dress to match the one I bought for DD1. Another pic I'll put on my list to post when I get on the main computer.

Mylitta - How are you going, is Arlia still grumpy in the evenings? Less clingy? I am dreading the day that DD2 starts rolling and sitting up. I can leave her on the change table and she is happy to watch the mobile and listen to the music which goes for 20mins. Do you have anything like that to keep her occupied, bouncer or swing maybe?

Rosey- How is your DD's sleeping going?

Apr 2008
    Adelaide

Elocin Hope you are enjoying your getaway even if it has been a bit wet up that way

Nickers has illness now left your poor house? Are you still managing to express between illness and all the school and kindy runs?

Rosey hope you are going okay?

Fuzzy sounds like everyhting went well for your exam and yay for having some frozen EBM now if you do need/want to be apart from Miss M

Miss E hope you and the boys are doing okay? I get what you mean, its more about DS1 having to share your attention than the quality/amount of attention. Sharing is not soemthing kids that age do well at . Its part of being a family but can be stressful until one day it will be the norm. Sounds like you are doing everything you can to help your big boy transition and find his place in your family of four

Peanutter how were your birthdya celebrations? Did you end up going out?

Buffy how is Miss W? She looked so cozy in her purple winter pram warmer thingo We started DD1 swimming at 6 months but stopped around 12 months when she had a couple of ear infections. We started again when DD2 was about 2 and DD1 was around 4. Probably wont start H until she is 2 as with three kids doing it it would be over $50 a week! Its great fun for them though if you have them time and can afford it. We will take H to the pool and put her in Popas pool when we visit. We also let water splash on the kids faces in the bath from little so they get used to it. Swimming is something DH does with the girls, he was also the one that had to get in the water when we started dd2!

Helena is doing well, 12 weeks old and getting longer and longer shes not a tiny newborn anymore but we are starting to see her sweet little personality. Where does the time go? She is just starting to reach for things, her toes are the main item on the agenda. The look of concentration is amazing. H is still sleeping well, she does feed almost hourly from 4-5pm until bed at 9-10pm which can be frustrating as I only seem to get 30 ish min blocks to do anything else. If DH isn't home its feed, put dinner on and big girls eat, feed, I eat, feed then H bath, feed then DD1 and DD2 bath, feed then big girls story and bed. Im now in the habit of prepping dinner early in the day to make things a bit easier. If DH is home he does the baths which makes it easier. Shouldn't complain though.

We have now moved H to her own room she seems quite happy in there and loves having her nappy changed a her change table is now under a cute wooden mobile I got when pregnant. She could stare at them for hours and sometimes tries to reach for them. We are now using the baby monitor and it was a bit disconcerting last night hearing a fart coming from the bedside table! Think I might need to turn the volume down a bit more

Skybie, Sirenz, Sloane, Razz, Mylitta, Me Lisa and all you lovely ladies. Enjoy the long weekend!

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Fuzzy, so glad your exam went well. Bet you're glad it's over! Nice work on the expressing, I find it difficult unless W is feeding or I'm holding/near her. Are you having a good weekend?

The techniques at 'baby rehab' were all the usual hands-on comforting things, so pat/shhhh and escalate as needed (rocking, dummy, cuddle then put back down etc). Mainly to help get bub to sleep in her bassinette and make sure we didn't miss her tired signs. She's not the sort of baby to just drift off, unfortunately! Also realised that her feeds had a lot to do with it (serial snacker). It was all pretty simple stuff, we were over-complicating things and not following her cues. Stupid books, stupid Google, stupid well-meaning family members!

Sararose, wow, H is 12 weeks Hard to believe how much she's grown. It must be lovely to watch her personality unfold. Great that she's sleeping well, though you must find the cluster feeding exhausting. How are you feeling about her being in her own room? LOL re the sounds you hear! DH told me he heard W burp through the wall at 1:30am

Rosey, are you ok? Getting any sleep hon? Have been thinking about you.

Hope everyone is having a fab weekend.

Pretty quiet one here. DH has to work tomorrow, which I'm a bit bummed about, but ah well. W has been a little unsettled during the day though pretty good sleeps at night. Yesterday I lay down for a nap at 7:00pm when she conked out; I got up briefly at 11:00pm to eat and then she didn't wake til 1:00!! Back down 2:00-6:00am, yowza. Trying not to get used to it, she likes to mix it up

She's also discovered her hands and spent most of tonight jamming as much of her fist into her mouth as she could. My favourite thing is still her 'talking', which is adorable, especially when she's doing it with her mouth full or when I'm trying to get her down for a nap. She's such a flirt, she'll do anything to avoid a sleep!

Have had to pack away some of her 000s and break out some of the 00s, which is crazy. She's got a long torso like me, so is getting the length but not the width of the 00s yet.

On the downside, I think I have thrush again. Ugh, so frustrating. Must be stopping the Daktarin too early, sigh.

Oct 2007
    Caroline Springs

She's also discovered her hands and spent most of tonight jamming as much of her fist into her mouth as she could. My favourite thing is still her 'talking', which is adorable, especially when she's doing it with her mouth full or when I'm trying to get her down for a nap. She's such a flirt, she'll do anything to avoid a sleep!

Have had to pack away some of her 000s and break out some of the 00s, which is crazy. She's got a long torso like me, so is getting the length but not the width of the 00s yet.
    Wow, so much of that is so similar to Arlia at the moment. She found her hands a couple of weeks ago, but in the last few days she's been putting them to her mouth a lot more. A few times we've noticed her sucking a finger while she sleeps (but never her thumb, lol). My Shayla has always sucked the back of her hand instead of her thumb and still does it all the time. She even has a little red spot that is a little calloused from it, lol.

Arlia is a little chatterbox! She has the sweetest little voice and coos and has huge conversations with me. She's so engaging as well and maintains eye contact the whole time she's "talking" to me. It's so adorable. My other two never talking like this as much as she is. I'm sure it bodes well for her toddler years when questions are repeated over and over and over and over, lol.

She's also moving into the 00's. Most of her 000 jumpsuits are definitely too small for her now. She's in one now, but it's a very generous 000 and still fits her... just. The 00's fit better but seem to be a little long in the legs. I just pop some fluffy PP booties on with them to keep her little tootsies warm and then you can't tell they are long Anyone else hate that bubba toes always seem cold in jumpsuits? My kiddies have always either worn booties over the jumpsuit or sock underneath them during winter.

Anyway, would love to stay and do a whole lot of persies, but I have soooooo much to do at the moment. Arlia is asleep in the ergo on me so I'm going to take the opportunity to do a bunch of typing that Kyson's Montessori school have asked me to do. They ask parents to help out for 2 hours each term. Well so far this typing has taking me about 6 hours AT LEAST! And I still have quite a bit to go. I hope this time can be used for the other terms as well...

Apr 2008
    Adelaide

Ahhh..... think the foot grabbing was the start of a wonder week. Have had a very cling, cranky girl the last two days. She has been feeding all the time and only cat napping. Hoping it passes soon, luckily DH is home tomorrow but then going in for the snip and a cystoscopy on Wednesday so Im sure Ill have a sooky DH Thursday. Hopefully Helena will be happier then

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Mylitta, Arlia sounds just gorgeous. The talking is so lovely to hear! Yes, I've noticed W's feet get chilly in onesies so tend to put socks on her. How did you go with all that typing supermum?

Sara, hope Miss H sails through her wonder week without too many more dramas. Imagine all the whirring and clicking going on in that little brain! Amazing (tiring for mum though). All the best for your DH's snip this week. Ouchies!

Feb 2009

Hi ladies!!!

I hope you are all going well!

Our little wkd away was fantastic, although we had to cut it short due to bad weather. It was great to get away for a few days and catch up with friends.

C sleep really well in his portacot and adapted really well to being in a different environment.

We are down to one wake up at night between 8pm and 6am which is lovely. Actually this mornings wake up (2.30am) was more like a dream feed, so tonight when I hear him stirring I need to just leave him to see if he will actually go back / stay asleep...

Day naps have made a very welcome return and I'm getting a couple of at least one hour stretches out of him.

He's asleep on me at the moment and I'm very aware of how quickly all of this is going all of a sudden. Watching him change and growing is making so happy but sad at the same time... Does that make sense? He is so responsive now - I lie him on my legs facing me and sing the alphabet to him and he chats along, singing and cooing at me.

I was just looking at the photos of when we were in the hospital and I've got tears in my eyes... It's gone so quickly!!

Jul 2010
    Canberra

Aw E I know exactly what you mean. Your beautiful boy is growing up too fast!

Nice work on the evening stints; and so great to hear he's rediscovered the day naps, woo hoo! Maybe you just need to move to Byron Bay? Let me know if you can't and I will! I think there's something about being on holiday - must be that everyone is so relaxed. More holidays, I say.

How's everyone travelling this week? Skye, I think I saw that A has been giving you a bit of grief?

AFM: Last few days have been up and down, big day sleeps of last week are out the window for the return of the 45 minute catnapper! None of my fab new techniques have been cutting it either. Late yesterday arvo I was ready to chuck W (gently and lovingly, of course) out the window when I cut out all the rocking, patting, shhhhhhhh-ing etc, gave her the dummy and walked out. Had to replace it about a billion times but she eventually when down and we didn't hear a peep out of her for hours.

Well, she must have been doing all her growing last week and over the weekend, because she feels heavier again and has been eating me out of house and boob. Night sleeps are fine though, 1-2 wakeups between 10:00ish and 6ish which is great. She's still fascinated by her reflection, hands and seems to be discovering her feet too. But the biggest change has been her first giggle! Oh my goodness, what an amazing sound. I blew raspberries on her belly and she started cacking herself. So damn cute.

Wanted to ask you ladies, any tips for helping W overcome her newfound hate of the car? She screams, even on short trips, but calms down and smiles as soon as she sees me. I think it might be a bit of separation anxiety, because she's the same in the pram now too. Perhaps it's just a phase? I'm looking into wraps that I can use for a back carry as I think she'd really like that (she gets a bit claustrophobic in front).

... 34567 ...