Thread: baby not rolling at 5 and 3/4 mths

Smile baby not rolling at 5 and 3/4 mths

just wondering my little girl is nearly 6mths old (21st of november) and she still is not rolling, she will roll on her side but that is as far as she will go. She was born nearly a mth early weighing 4lb and in hospital for nearly 2 weeks after birth she is still only small weighing 12lb she is such a happy girl and does everything else she is spouse to do. I am wondering has anyone else had a baby that rolled late but then caught up to everything else

Hi Karen, my baby is only rolling to get where she wants now, and all her friends are crawling. I think I've heard that babies commonly roll anywhere from 4 weeks to 9 months?
    From what I understand, rolling, crawling, walking are all extremely variable 'milestones' in healthy babies. It is great that she does everything else appropriate for her age... IMO it is more important to look at communication (hearing, speech) as this is just so important to our social development as people, and an area where early intervention if needed is really helpful.
    Having said all that, there are great excersises you can do to encourage the rolling, and of course giving lots of tummy time and floor play will help too. (I have been a bit slack with all that - having a baby that cried a lot, for my own sanity I have carried her around a fair bit. I guess I'll just have to live with that if I've delayed her gross motor in some way...)
    Hopefully you've gotten the point of my babble - your daughter isn't necessarily 'late' to roll (and for a premmie, you'd be a bit more patient as she had a rough start). My DD isn't the best example to give you, I know, as she's now 'late' to crawl as well and will probably be 'late' to walk, but just wanted to share my take on it with you - and hopefully it has been reassuring, LOL!
    Incidently, my nephew (who's mum, my SIL is on here!) didn't crawl til 11 months and walked soon after, and has brilliant gross motor skills as a toddler - he's a really fun and active little boy.

Hi, my good friend's DD was born 1 month early and she didn't start rolling until she was 8 months old, but then she caught up straight away and was walking at 11 months of age. Compared to my DS1 who was rolling at 4 months and didn't walk until he was 13 months! I'm sure your DD will roll when she is ready, please don't feel pressured by what other people's babies are doing, they all develop at their own pace.

thanks for letting me know your experiences i am gratefully to hear them ebony (dd) is my forth child i just remember they all rolled before this and one of them was even 6 week early it just when people say Oh shouldnt she be rolling now then it gets to me i do try to give DD a lot of floor time but its not always easy with a 2 year old running around
    but again thank you for both of your imput it does make me feel a lot better

Pah! to people telling you, 'shouldn't your baby be doing this by now?' I hate that. I get it, but fortunately not a lot!
    Personally, I prefer to enjoy my baby being a baby rather than pushing her to get to that next stage. I'm sure that as a mum of 4 you know better than I they are only little for such a short time...
    Oh I can just imagine it must be tricky with a 2yo as well! I struggle with just 1 child. You are a wonder woman in my eyes

Hi - my baby (now 16 months old) has rolled less than 5 times in her life. We did tummy time, she started crawling at 8 mths, cruising at 10 mnths and walking last week (16 mths).

I don't think the lack of rolling has made any difference. In fact, it was better she is a 'late' walker as she is very strong and steady and bearly falls over, unlike some 'early' walkers. I think provided your baby is not getting frustrated by 'lack of rolling/crawling' etc, there's no problem.