Thread: AF or Lochia?

Default AF or Lochia?

Hi girls,

I had my son 5 weeks ago and had lochia during that time. It stopped last week, but a couple days ago I started getting bright red blood....not even the lochia looked like that...it kind of looks like period, but is that possible? I don't feel unwell, don't have cramps or clots or anything. I am breastfeeding exclusively...I'm seeing my Ob tomorrow for a 6 week checkup, but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Last edited by Francesca1977; November 19th, 2007 at 11:10 AM.

francesca- i've had exactly the same thing and was also wondering what it was - so i'll be interested to hear what people have to say. for me, the bleeding only lasts for a day so i don't think it's af, but it's definitely heavier than lochia and is bright red as well.

Hi Gracie, mine has lasted about 3 days which is why I am worried. As I said though I'm not in any pain, no clots...and feel fine otherwise. I rang my ob so just waiting for him to call me back.

ok, let me know what your ob says. it could be af, but i don't really know. congrats on your little boy, he was born 6 days after mine!

Hi Ladies,

I had the same thing after i had Colby. My lochia slowed down at about week 5 then i started to get bright red bleeding again which would come and go. I too was'nt sure wether it was AF or not as i too am excluisively BF. I just put it down to my body trying to get back to normal.

I was told that if at any time the bleeding is accompanied with a fever, bad cramping or is very heavy, you should go and see your Dr as this could be a sign of infection.

HTH!

hi sara, well thankfully I have no fever, or cramping. I don't know what heavy would be though?

gracie i will let you know! congrats on your little boy too!

Heavy would be having to change your pad in less than an hour.....

oh ok...well no mine isn't heavy thankfully.

Just to let you know that my Ob wants me to get an ultrasound done, so I am doing that tomorrow. I guess I'll find out then.

oh please let me know how your ultrasound goes francesca. pm me if you like! good luck with it all. i hope it's all ok, i'm sure it will be. i'm not seeing my ob till dec 3.

Just wanted to wish you all the best tomorrow!

Fingers crossed its nothing but your body trying to get back to normal!

Thinking of you....

Best of luck tomorrow. It happened to me too but it all seemed to sort itself out and I haven't had any bleeding since. Hopefully it will be all good news.

Just thought I'd let you know that I had my ultrasound and everything looks clear. Looks like my period is back.

Well i don't know wether to be happy for you or not!!! LOL!

I hope you have so form of contraception lined up!!! he he! Unless ofcourse you are planning #2 already!!!

Good to hear that its nothing serious though hun....

Good to hear it's nothing serious but bad to hear that AF is back. She's a wicked witch isn't she!!

AF so soon? I didn't even know that was possible!

Oddly enough I came on here to post almost the exact same thing. My lochia stopped about a week ago and today (baby is 4 weeks old) I have bright red bleeding though it's not very heavy. Can you seriously get AF so soon after birth? How could there have been enough time for anything to even acculmulate in there? I really hope it's not AF, I'm so not ready to deal with her yet. I have an appt with my Dr in 2 days so i will mention it to him and see what he says.

Yep! Mine was AF! I had an ulltrasound to make sure none of the placenta remained, and sure enough my AF had returned.

Hey ladies,
    The exact thing happened to me! I was exclusively BF, and my lochia had stopped for almost a week (when DD was 6wks old) and then I had bright red bleeding again! I had it for about 4 or so days, and then my GP said I should go on the mini pill so I did straight away. Ive only just gone off it again and had my first AF since! Our bodies are strange hey...