thread: Always so cold!

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Always so cold!

After each baby I have had, I think for the duration of breastfeeding, I always feel incredibly cold! Especially in my back. Its mad. With the heater on in the house, its quite warm, yet I still need a jumper on. Going to bed, I wish I could leave the electric blanket on all night, but I know I'd never get out to do the midnight feeds. Instead, I sleep in nightie, trackie pants and socks. Occasionally a jumper too. With two doonas. Ordinarily, I would just sleep in a tee shirt, but still with my two doonas. Is there something wrong with me? It makes it hard to have Mack in bed with me. He gets too hot, I didn't think babies sweated (sp?), but last night, I'm sure his suit was damp. I had him in bed because I didn't manage to light the fire in the lounge, so it was really cold in the house. After the nappy change I just took him to bed to feed. I guess a very strange question, I just don't know why I am always so cold.

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

my dd sweats. esp if she is crying. im a really hot sleeper so paranoid she gets too hot. maybe its just your bodies response to all the energy burned to bf? i dont know

sent via my vortex manipulator!

Nov 2011
    Radelaide

Netix it could be the way your hormones are while feeding bub. Some women get a temporary condition where the thyroid is not producing the right a amount of hormones. Usually nothing serious and most women don't even realise it's happening and often goes away by itself (had it with my first 2 babies)

1) Do you also feel tired most of the time (sounds like a silly question when you have a young baby, I know) tired even when you get a decent sleep?
    2) Any unexplained weight gain? (hard to tell when baby is newborn)

If you are worried (or if the example sounds like you) ask your doctor to do a Thyroid Function Test (TFT)

Also if you are worried about baby over heating in bed with you maybe try dressing him in a lighter bodysuit, like a short sleeve suit or something. I had to do that with DS2 as he is a little hotbody and would sweat anytime.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

I had the same after DD2, I had a PPH and was unwell as well, but 3.5 yrs later, I'm still cold, I've had blood tests, thyroid checked etc...I'm getting used to it now!

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Thank you ladies. I've always been a frosty kind of person, but just having cold hands amd feet. Mack seems to be the same in that regard, the other two are hot-bods like the Man. Funnily enough, I don't remember the other two getting sweaty in bed with me. Yes, I was a bit cold, but they didn't get that hot.

I am pretty much always tired. A "decent night's sleep" hasn't really been had I don't think. And there doesn't seem to be any weight gained that is noticeable. I have the six week check up on Tuesday, so will talk to the doctor about it, and maybe get the TFT. The "fear" of Mack overheating is usually enough to make me get out of bed for the night feeds. Which I don't think is a bad thing.

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

might be worth getting your iron levels checked too sometimes low irin can make you cold (and tired and shortness of breath)

sent via my vortex manipulator!

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Sep 2011

I'm not sure where you live, but I'm feeling the cold after having DD in May. She was our third and I put on 19ks. Living in country vic, the weather just went freezing about a week after we got home from hospy and I've been feeling cold ever since. I know it's probably me just trying to get used to not having the extra insulation and living in a cold house. DS2 was a winter pregnancy, spring bubby and I think it's the warmest I've ever been in winter.