thread: No. 2's hard to do?

Oct 2005

No. 2's hard to do?

Since I had my daughter, I have had trouble with bowel movement. Have used laxatives but cause heaps of cramps. Does anyone know of anything natural that I could add to my food? Have tried fruit it doesnt work. Probably TMI but it has to be soft (the no.2) otherwise I get plain plus more etc. This was all due to extensive tearing birthing DD.

Can anyone help me please?

It's becoming a pain in the bum (hehehehe)

Love

Custardtart Guest

Prunes. Get a packet from the supermarket (I like Angas Park best) and stew them. Put them in a bowl in the microwave with enough water to cover, cook on high for five minutes and leave to cool. After a few hours of absorbing water they'll be soft, and good to add to cereal or yoghurt.
    I do a batch a week and keep them in the fridge, hubby has them every morning. I find about four a day keep the stool soft.

My Mum recommended these to me when I had the same problem after my first child, and I've used them on and off since over the years as the need arises - better than laxitives!

Kerrie

Oct 2005

Thanks Kerrie, but I have no idea how I can bring myself to eat prunes. Probably TMI but when I see them soaking in water they remind me of unflushed turds. I don't think I could do it, but then again I need to. I'll let you know within a week if I have been able to eat any.

Love

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

LOL Helen don't worry I am the same with prunes! I'm not sure what to suggest, other than upping the water intake like there's no tomorrow and possibly something like metamucil, biogel (I think its called) but if you use any of these make sure you drink LOTS of water or they don't work. If it continues go see your dr, have you been checked for hemorrhoids? Also give "digest ezy" a go they are a god send! In fact try that first LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Oct 2005

I did get a haemorroid when I gave birth to Bella. When I went to OBGYN for chk up 2 mths ago and asked how I was doing, I explained bleeding etc and she told me it was to be expected. I will have to have a C/S with next bub as there is a 60% chance of permanent bowel damage. Probably TMI but I got messed up pretty bad, sometimes cant even hold in wind. Thank god DH is wonderful and takes the blame.

Have been TTC and on clomid, does it matter taking any of those things just incase you are pregnant at all Cailin? Many thanks for all your advice.

Love

Nov 2004
    Giving the gift of life to a friend..

Metamucil is fine if you are preg, I cannot stand the thick & dryness in my mouth from it, but now they have it in tablet form...
    Goodluck, I am only just able to go without working myself up to it & not sweating profusely!! TMI...
    8-[

Jun 2005
    near the water

When I was pregnant I was banned from the push, had a cervical stitch. My obstrician sweared by kiwi fruit in a thin slice with the skin still on or a glass of pear juice. It worked well for me.
    Bec

Nov 2004
    Giving the gift of life to a friend..

I was also told when In hosp after having DD#1. To have kiwifruit & passionfruit!!!!
    It made me going really well & easily too!

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Helen,

You poor thing, constipation after baby is so common - remember not to strain too much or you could end up with a nasty fissure (tear) which I had. Took 12 months to heal - not nice
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Aug 2004
    NZ

Sounds very hurty. Ouch.
    I had lots of trouble for about 6-8 weeks after Jenna was born, and eventually used some hemarhoidd (sp) cream which helped heaps. Lots and lots and lots of water is a must. Aim for 3 L a day and see if that helps.
    Licorice?? Apricots do it for me too.

Melinda Guest

I'm just wondering if it's worth going to the chemist to ask for a softening agent? But definitely say you want a softening agent and not a bulking agent.....the bulking agent would cause you more pain I would think.

Oct 2005

Thanks for all your suggestions. I love kiwi-fruit but havent really been eating any, so I will definantly have to do so.
    Has anyone heard of cysllium husks, someone told me they work?

Love

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yep it's great stuff - good idea but I don't know if it's more for fibre than a softening action. You may need a softener so you don't tear? Not sure... probably best to speak to the pharmacist on this one!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Aug 2004
    NZ

I think psyllium (sp??) husks are great for doing the fibre thing, adn cleaning out, but they are more like a broom - they sort of pick EVERYTHING up and move it on, which is not good long term. But for a very short term I think they work OK. I've heard long term use can lead to "issues" because your bowel does need to do some work.

Melinda Guest

I believe psyllium husks are very good if you are constipated, so some people use them for this purpose. It makes things very 'regular'. My only concern is perhaps they would make things on the firmer side which isn't what you want........

Perhaps try the kiwi-fruit, and if that doesn't work, then a trip to the chemist as I mentioned before to see if they can give you a softening agent.

I hope you find something that works!!!

Feb 2005
    Mid North Coast NSW

Wow Fiona i didnt know that psyllium could be bad for long term use. i have used it heaps because i need heaps of fibre to even maybe stay regular. i wonder what the alternative is then?

Oct 2005

\/ thank-you thank-you thank-you.

After 3yrs of dreading going to the loo and numerous talks to drs, the kiwi fruit works.

I guess I just hadnt eaten enough before. I just wish I had found BB earlier. For me it was almost embarassing to talk about, but you have all made me feel fine and not embarrassed. Again a big thank-you to all.

I'll have to try pear juice next.

Love

Jun 2005
    near the water

Great news Helen