thread: ? retained products

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

? retained products

how late is too late for retained products?
    im 10 weeks pp and have a fever. could be one of three things... i did have a cold a couple of weeks ago (went on antibiotics for) ?mastitis but no symptoms excep the ache i feel all over my body. or maybe all the bleeding was something. i have another thread re it.. and havent bleed for a week also we did dtd and i didnt bleed after (i did another time).
    basically aside from fever symptoms - chills aches etc.. i have no other symptoms.
    is 10weeks to late for me to be sick from birth?

sent via my vortex manipulator!

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2005

dont know. but you should see a GP anyways.. fever means something is happening!

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

yea i plan to on monday.. but am curious as to why...felt fine this morning, came on so quick

Dec 2006
    Smidgen-ville

I would suggest mastitis too. I never got it with #1 but i got it quite a few times with #2 and sometimes there was no other syptom than an 'oh my goodness i feel awful' which hits so quick. There was sometimes just a teeny tiny red dot, but not always a painful lump.

Rest. Lots of rest. And see someone medical.

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

I had the start of Mastitis when DD2 was a few weeks old, no symptoms except I was soooo cold I couldn't move from in front of the fire. I poked around a bit and there was a small tender spot on a boob that I heat packed and made the baby feed from every time she peeped.

Could also be the flu coming on.

Hope that whatever it is clears up quickly xx

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

mastitis or thrush? or both? i had it (fever) come on mega suddenly like within half an hour of feeling awesome to being a quivering mess on the walk home from the cafe.

make sure to take LOADS of probiotics etc when taking the ABs for mastitis...boob thrush is a real PITA to get rid of.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

mastitis can certainly come on like that. Can you get to a doctor sooner, even emergency if nothing else? Take care and rest up

Nov 2009
    Scottish expat living in Geelong

Like everyone else I would be more suspicious of mastitis or the flu, less likely that you would have retained products but definitely worth visiting a doctor. I hope you feel better soon.

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

Also would look out for mastitis here. I had it when DD was about 6 or 7 months old, fine one second, hit by a truck the next. Huge fever, red spot, lump, was awful. Lots of hot and cold facewashers, massaging, feeding and showers helped. Was offered antibiotics and a penicillin jab but didn't feel I needed it and got through without. Definitely have it looked at because it does come on fast.

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

thanks girls. ill have another look/feel of my bb in the morning. we do have an after hrs gp but its over $100 to see him and i seriously cant aford that. =( ill be able to hang out til mon. im taking panadol and so far no more chills.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

Do you ave the home visting dr there??? Book online, they come to you and it's bulk billed

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

thats sounds way too good to bevtrue olive! i doubt it tho but how do i find out?

Oct 2005
    North Queensland

I would think that if you had retained products and were now showing some signs of infection, that you would experiencing some uterine tenderness, smelly discharge etc.

After I had DS, for my first two periods after his birth I had extremely heavy periods. I went to the ED both cycles worrying that I had RP also but was sent away both times. On my 3rd cycle, I passed a large piece of placenta.

Due to the nature of Reid's premature labour and birth, I was given a truck load of IV antibiotics. I think that because I had recieved such a strict course of antibiotic therapy, I didn't develop an infection from the retained placenta.

So in saying all that, the antiobiotics you've had for the Mastitis could have covered you if you do have any retained products.

I hope that all makes sense! LOL!

Do you have any other symptoms other than fever symptoms?

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

Sara - i dont have rp that i know of but did have a pph with unknown cause.. i bleed pp for 4 1/2 weeks then started bleeding again at 6 weeks but it was exactly like a period it stops at 5days (just like a period) but then dh and i dtd at about 8weeks and i bleed bright blood afterwards for a few days... dud have mild tummy pains for the 6wk bleed but was same as gut pain i get the day before my period..
    the antibiotics i was on was for a cold/sore throat/cough.

i do feel tender on my right side under my arm...could be boob related but is high up so could be lymphnodes... no other symptoms just that i have a temp.

i am making dd feed heaps from the right side jic.

how many weeks were you when you passed placenta? im just not sure if 10weeks is too late and if it was that it would have affected me sooner...

Oct 2005
    North Queensland

Ahh ok. I'd say its probably related to your breast then. Remember not too go to over board on feeding from that particular breast as you'll end up making more milk which may aggrivate the problem. I'd say it best to go see your GP.

When I passed the placenta I was on my 2nd cycle so I must've been 8 weeks p/p. In that 8 weeks I had no other symptoms. Just when I had my period I had very heavy bleeding and strong uterine contractions/period pain. I kept telling them I can feel my uterus contracting like it was trying to expell something but they wouldnt listen. Lucky I didnt sick though.