Thread: Is this seperated muscle?

Default Is this seperated muscle?

G'day

Im curious....I have this kind of 'gap' of, well, nothing, between the bottom of my rib cage, under my boobs and down to the bottom ribs iykwim. If I push on it, it feels all squishy and kinda hurts. Does anyone know if this could be seperated muscles or what else it could be? If it is seperated muscle how do I fix it (if it can be)? Im starting to worry cause DD isnt exactly a tiny baby anymore.

Thanks for any help x

Seriously, no one out there has ever heard of or had this? Please....anyone????

Sounds like seperated muscles - what you're describing is what I experienced. There was a definite gap between my muscles that went all the way down to my belly button. Felt really weird when I pressed on it! I googled it & founds some simple abdominal exercises that helped.
    If unsure maybe see a physio?

Hi lilydust, to check if its the separated muscles in your belly, lie flat on the ground (or bed) and just lift your head and neck up, feel with your fingers around your belly button, you will be able to feel if there is a gap. There are a few quite gentle exercises you can do to help it, I have been doing these for awhile with some success, I just googled diastasis rectus.

Thanks sooooo much for replying girls I was starting to get concerned there was something really wrong! Will lie down and definatly check it then find some exercises. If it doesnt help off to the Physio.

Thanks, glad someone else has had it too!!!

Just don't do sit ups! That can permanently damage your tummy muscles if it is the DRAM thing (diastasis rectus), which it sounds like it is. Everyone gets separated tummy muscles after having a bub, but the extent can vary. I think two fingers width is normal adn anything beyond that requires a physio. I'm suprised your midwives/mchn didn't check yours just after the birth? Though maybe they did, you've prob forgotton..I see your bub is 9 months! It's important to work on getting your muscles back together, spech if you're planning another baby. I never worked on mine properly after bub #2 and as a result had far worse back pain during my third pregnancy.

Thanks chocolatecatty....thats the kind of advice I love I know for a fact the midwives never checked me after birth, but unfortunately that doesnt suprise me. The Dr told them I needed my stitches checked daily until I left hospital and they never looked at those either