thread: Stomach separation ... surgery

May 2008
    North side, Brisbane

Stomach separation ... surgery

My stomach muscles separated during my pregnancies and now that we are finished having kids I am meeting with a dr at the rwh brisbane to hopefully get them fixed so I can have a flat belly instead of what looks like a five month pregnant belly. Has anyone got any experience or stories they can share about this? I have my hospital appointment on monday.
    Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 2007
    Caroline Springs

Just wanted to wish you luck! I had major separation during my pregnancies (that got worse with each one) and would love to have it surgically repaired. I hope the doctor gives you a referral and recommendation for it to be done for medical reasons, because apparently private health funds don't like to cover it because it's basically the same surgery as a tummy tuck. I'm thinking about asking my GP about it in maybe 5 or so years when all the kids are at school. I've heard it can be quite painful during recovery and I'm too scared to have it done while they are so little. I'm hoping that the recovery isn't actually that bad Would love to hear your experience once you have it done

Jun 2009
    vic

I'm thinking I will need the same when I've finished having kids.

Wishing you all the best, let us know how it goes.

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

I was thinking about posting today to see if anybody has had surgical repair, so thank you! I would let to get it done, but not sure who to see or how to start the process. Love to hear how you go.

I read somewhere that if the seperation is severe enough then the surgery can be covered by Medicare. Are you going public or private?

May 2008
    North side, Brisbane

I don't have private health. I went to my gp and he referred me to the rwh at brisbane last november. I have finally got an appointment next monday. I read elsewhere that you will have to wait about 8 years to get it done in the public system. I'll be over 40 then :mad: so I am hoping that's not true!
    Will keep you all posted and let you know how I go.

May 2008
    North side, Brisbane

Have got some exercises for my transverse abdominis muscles and have cut out several possible allergens from my diet and have lost 1cm off my stomach over night, after one day. Could be the start of something very exciting!!!

Oct 2007
    Caroline Springs

Did they rule out surgery hun?

May 2008
    North side, Brisbane

Did they rule out surgery hun?
    Well the dr that I went to at the rbh colorectal department said that surgery would fix my "bulge" and he didn't know what was causing that. Thanks for coming. Next please.

So I went back to my gp and he said I should get a second opinion and so has referred me to the one at chermside, I think it's the prince charles. I waited 11 months to get into the royal though so at lest I'm trying to do something about it and not sitting around waiting and getting my hopes up again! Hopefully diet changes and exercises will fix it before then and I won't need the surgery!!

Thanks for checking up on me. Xo

Jul 2009

Just bumping this thread wondering if anyone has been down this path and can shed some light please?

May 2008
    North side, Brisbane

I ended up seeing Dr Shaw at the Prince Charles. He was a lot more helpful, poked and prodded for ages and was very empathic, but says that my muscles were stretched during pregnancy so surgery wouldn't fix it.

So that being the second opinion, I have come to terms with it, kind of. I think that I have an intolerance to wheat and sugar as I often feel and look bloated after eating those foods (and get wind) but am yet to really change my diet. I went gluten free for a month and that seemed to help a bit.

Anyway, next week I am having some surgery to have my umbilical hernia fixed, so at least when my belly is sticking out, my belly button won't be (usually an indicator of pregnancy). I'm going that will stop the pregnancy comments!

Jul 2009

How did you go Joey123?

May 2008
    North side, Brisbane

I was supposed to go in yesterday, but after waiting 4 and a half hours (and fasting for 10 and a half hours) they rescheduled me for Monday. I have to say, I enjoyed the nice relacing day though! I am first on the list on Monday. Thanks for asking

Jul 2009

I've been given a referral to a general surgeon as the GP says I have a "defect." There's a big gap between my tummy muscles and it's really obvious when I lie down as there's a big dip between the abs. I'm a bit worried though as she explained that the surgeon would use mesh to go over the gap. It doesn't seem the same as what others have been through as far as surgery for this sort of correction. I also have a herniated belly button so I'm wondering whether the surgery will just fix my belly button and not the gap. Guess all my questions will be answered when I see the surgeon.

May 2008
    North side, Brisbane

I think stomach separation is very common in pregnancy and if you can get it fixed, good for you.
    It seems my problem was that the muscles had not only separated, but also stretched, so sewing them back together would not achieve anything. I will always have a belly bulge.
    I have had my umbilical hernia fixed, three days ago. I still have the bandaid plaster thing on though, so not sure what it looks like yet.
    Keep us up to date. I hope you get the answers you're after. Let me know if you have any questions about the hernia operation.

Jul 2009

Thanks Joey