Thread: Tampons & 1st AF after baby???

Default Tampons & 1st AF after baby???

Just wondered if you can go back to using tampons for the first AF after birth?? I know you can't with the lochia, but wondered when it's ok to go back to them..... I'm 7w post birth & just got AF today.

TIA

I'm not too sure Sarah... have you had your 6 week 'post birth' checkup yet? Maybe you could ask your Dr?
    I guess its different for many women as well maybe depending on their birth experience?
    I was too afraid to use tampons for ages.. months and months... but that was due to having some painful grazing, which really just put me off wanting to go 'down there' unecessarily.... even after it had all healed!

Sorry I can't be of more help....

Yeah I had my 6 week checkup last week & never thought to ask. As you know, I ended up with a c/s so no probs with grazing etc from the birth.

maybe just wait to your next cycle to make sure your cyle is "normal" first.

Love

Melinda Guest

I used pads for my first AF post-birth, but the 2nd AF, I returned to using tampons. I just wanted to make sure things were normal before using tampons, although having had the caesarean, I'm not sure if I actually had to do this or not......more just for my own peace of mind IYKWIM?

I think I might go by what you guys have done & stick with pads for this time. Thanks for all your advice

Great question Sarah, I'd been wondering too.
    I'm just hoping a tampon will stay up there! Sorry if a bit tasteless, but I'm quite serious. I have no idea what things are like up there now after large metal objects were inserted. I guess its worth trying, but heres hoping AF doesn't retunr for a few months yet!

Fi

Debbie Lee Guest

LOL Fi! You crack me up. With any luck you won't need to use anything for many months. That's what I am hoping. Mum said her AF stayed away the entire time she BF'd. Fingers crossed, hey?

LOL Fi........I was the same! Thought I would lose the tampon up my hoo-ha!

Seriously, I used pads for my first AF (AF came back after only 2 months, despite BF) so I wanted to make sure everything looked normal IYKWIM? Then the next AF (exactly 29 days later) I went back to tampons......adn I am grateful to report nothing got lost!!

LOL Lucy!

So I decided to use pads which was a good thing seeing as it was sooo light. Is that normal for a first AF?

My first AF was pretty "normal" for me, but I guess it always varies.......