Thread: Unstable Pelvis

Default Unstable Pelvis

Just wondering if anyone had an unstable pelvis during pregnancy and how they coped until it got better?

I was 'diagnosed' at 28 weeks and told not to walk, stand or bend very much which has been VERY frustrating not to mention painful.

Finally, almost nine weeks after the birth, I seem to be on the mend but still only 'allowed' to go for a 10 minute walk every other day so I've been virtually housebound as I don't drive.

Just wondering how other people coped especially with day-to-day issues of lifting the baby etc. etc. and whether it was better or worse with a second baby. I've been told it has the potential to be worse but that women generally manage it better the second time around!

At times when I was wheeling myself around the house in my office chair because it was too painful to walk, I did start thinking 'gee, I might as well have had a caesarean, I'm that incapacitated.'

Yep, had it from about 20 wks. Made doing everything very hard, had to have a brace for things like walking and gardening. Pain at night rolling over etc etc. And 15 wks after the birth I'm still getting it at the front if I walk too far.

It was hard as I had a c section as well so the worst part was trying to get up from sitting after feeding my baby. But really I just tried to keep doing things the same way as before and not over do it (i'd get it bad)

ooops gotta go baby calling

I had SPD while i was pg with Em from about 30 weeks. I got a referral to the physio who really helped. I have heard that it can be worse in subsequent pg's. While I had SPD Sarah learned to walk which took some of the strain off me but I did learn to make use of the pram rather than carry her around. Don't have a bath as that will make it worse afterwards. ice packs r also better than heat packs.

See if you can get a referral to the physio as they may be able to manipulate your body back to what it should be. HTH

thanks guys - I've been seeing a physio since it started and been using an ice pack since then as well as doing special exercises. I'm about to start special one-on-one pilates with her. She's told me that the prognosis is good. It's only when the pain starts to subside that you realise how much pain you were in before! I could literally only stand up for 10 seconds beforehand and after having a posterior labour, I think my pain threshold is pretty high!

Not sure how I would cope if I were to have a second child especially as my first will be a toddler which would make it difficult for me to run around after her.

Cross that bridge when we come to it I guess.

I had it during PG and for months afterwards. Pilates has helped me lots as a good strong pelvic floor and stomach muscles will support and keep the joints stable.
    When I was at my worst I couldn't walk and one day I had to go down the passage to get a towel for a shower. I encountered a tonka truck in the passage and I couldn't step over it or could I bend over and pick it up. I really hurt myself reaching around in the car to pick up a toy for Angus. Just a little twist and I was agony.

It is it tedious sometimes remembering to always keep your hips even and never get up from the floor in a kneeling position, especially if you're in a hurry to do stuff but the alternative is sometimes weeks of pain

Besides a physio you could also try a chiropractor but do your reseach there before you subject your body as sme can be too rough. Ask for reccommendations. Not sure where you are but if it's Melb then I can tell you mine as he's brilliant.

Oh I feel your pain Sammi-J. It's a real bugger when you want to kick things in frustration (like tonka trucks) but you physically can't!!!

I am in Melbourne (Northcote) so the name of that chiropractor would be great. I should know this but what's the difference between what they do and what physio does?

Also, was yours better or worse with your second child? As I said, I would like another poppet but given that my first is only nine weeks old but I'm 38, I don't have a lot of time up my sleeve so can't give my body too big of a break inbetween. As I keep saying to people the pelvic pain was worse than labour! At least the pain from labour ends.

I didn't have it at all with my first. I developed it in the last couple of weeks with my second PG and from about 18 weeks with my third.
    I had quite a bit of pain between my send and third PG's also, enough to postpone TTC for a while till I thought I was past it. Unfortunatley it wasn't the case

The main difference between a chiro and a physio is that chiros do more manipulating of the joints. Physios can do it sometimes but that isn't their aim if that makes sense. If a joint cracks in the process of you being stretched or massaged then it can help. Generally for me the physio helps to relieve the muscles that are tired from holding onto the joints.
    The reason that I love my chiro is that he will rub down and warm up my muscles for a good 10 - 15 mins before he tries to manipulate. It makes a huge difference! He is in Narre Warren if you're interested but it may be a bit of a trip from Northcote PM if you'd like his details.

Thanks Sammi-j, that would be a bit far for me!

Can I ask how you went with two little ones and an unstable pelvis? I'm concerned how I would cope running after a toddler if it recurred with my second pregnancy. I could not even bend down to put washing in the washing machine/get saucepans out of the bottom cupboard etc. etc. so am REALLY worried about the practicalities of having another child.

Smile

Hello ladies,

I am wondering what impact did your unsatble pelvis have on your labour and the birth of your baby. Is there anything in particular that you found helpful during labour, ie positions, ice rather than heat etc. I would love to learn more and would appreciate your first hand experience.

Cheers
    Clare

melodye77 Guest

Default To Raven

Quote Originally Posted by ~Raven~ View Post
    The reason that I love my chiro is that he will rub down and warm up my muscles for a good 10 - 15 mins before he tries to manipulate. It makes a huge difference! He is in Narre Warren if you're interested but it may be a bit of a trip from Northcote PM if you'd like his details.
    hi,
    I would love the details of the Chiro in Narre but I can't work out how to PM you. Hopefully you get this post.

Mel