Thread: Contraception and Depression?

Question Contraception and Depression?

Im just wondering for when the time comes, what is the best and most reliable method of long term contraception for those still wanting more children in the future, who have a long history of severe depression?

Ive read that some pills and other hormonal methods of contraception may actually make depression worse in some people, is this correct?

Any information you could point me to would be greatly appreciated

oooh, I have never heard of that! I have been on the pill or mini pill most of the time and I wonder if that has contributed to my depression?

I had the implanon put in after DD1, I found it frustrating to begin with but after about 3 months it settled down and I really like it. Thinking about having it put in again soon. The other thing is the Mirena and IUD which is suposetly very good.

I can't really help with suggesting a method of contraception, but I can tell you that hormonal contraception made me very depressed and really affected my mood. I will never go on the pill again!

I had a terrible, terrible experience with Implanon that I believe triggered a very serious bout of depression - suicide attempts, drug abuse (self-medicating), weight gain, the works. Within weeks of it being removed when the 3 years was up, I was like a brand-new person, it was unbelievable. Not wanting to scare you at all, but just something you might want to be aware of and talk to your Dr about if you choose to go that route (I am currently using condoms and lots of crossing fingers lol, the Pill stuffs with my moods and other aspects of my health as well so I cannot use it either). Sorry I'm not much help, I hope you can find something that works well for you

I've never heard of that either! I suffered from depression both on and off the pill (a pill I'd taken for 16 years without any problems). I have, however, just stopped taking the mini pill as it made me very, VERY moody.

ETA: I agree with Glamourcide about Implanon - my sister had an awful time with it. Severe depression. She had it removed after a couple of months, didn't agree with her at all

If you have a history of depression - DO NOT USE IMPLANON!

As far as I know, all long term contraceptives wreak havoc with depression, just because of the level of hormones constantly leaching into your body. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful

Best bet is to have a chat to your GP hun! I am with the others in inplanon issues. It made me a real train wreck and I am feeling so much more optimistic post removal.

My friend that has severe depression and borderline psychosis had the IUD put in and that works for her. I think there are hormone free options out there but gp would know best.

I'm another one who became a psycho crazy lady on implanon, so definitely steer clear of it. I had it removed 2 months ago and I feel fantastic for it! Good luck finding something that works for you

Hormonal contraception definitely has A LOT to answer for with mood disturbance, especially progesterone only like Mini pill, Implanon and Depot.
    Mirena IUD could be great. It does release progesterone but small amounts that mostly only work locally. It also lightens your AF, most people LOVE their Mirena. More effective than tying your tubes.
    If you want to steer clear of hormones all together a copper IUD would be the way to go but it can make your periods a bit heavier so if thats been a problem for you it would be something to consider.
    There are more options coming out all the time too.
    I wish there was a male pill. About time they stepped up I reckon!

i know the pill really messed me up mentally, physically and emotionally too i was a different person when i got off them!

mmm, I'm thinking I have been rather moody since being on the minipill, I just never even thought about how the pill/implanon/minipill would affect my depression. I might have a chat to DH and my GP and sort out another way of dealing with contraception. I know when I was off the pill trying to get pregnant I was always happier, thinking yay I am going to have a baby, but what if it was just a removal of the extra hormones?????

i was put on the pill as a teenager for irregular periods and, yeah... it wasn't pretty ^^; I hate the pill for causing my depression and don't use it, refuse to use it and never will again. It also ended up screwing around more with my cycle and i ended up having my periods for three weeks straight with 1 week break inbetween.

I think the only way to go is condoms, used correctly they are a great contraception, and as glamourcide said, fingers crossed!