Thread: Early Menopause???

Default Early Menopause???

I think I might be going through menopause????

Bit of background first of all. My mum says she started going through menopause shortly after having me, by 39 she was no longer ovulating and her and her partner spent a lot of money trying to get pregnant but was unable. She got her first period at 18.

I'm 28 this year and after the birth of DD got AF back at 11wks PP but my period has been on and off regular but for the past 3 cycles has been very irregular. I'm putting on weight despite being on a diet and exercising I'm having rushes of feeling hot and cold, sweating profusely and aching all over.

what do you reckon? I don't want to sound like an idiot to my Dr, do you even go and see a dr about menopause?? I always said I wouldn't do hormone replacement but now... I don't really want to look my mum at 35 :-) IYKWIM

Early menopause is a possibility but so can thyroid issues. A blood test should be able to check for hormone and thyroid levels and more. And no, with your family history I don't think you would be an idiot to speak to your GP about it. If they think it is silly - get a new GP!!!

Thanks Michelle!

You would have to think it's unlikely wouldn't you? I'm sure there is another reason. I wouldn't worry about feeling like a wally by asking your GP! Just see what they say.

My mum went through early menopause too, think she was mid 30's when things headed that way. Good reason for having kids young isn't it.You never know what's around the corner.

Let us know how you get on

Unfortunately I know of someone who has early menopause and they were diagnosed in their late 20's so it is possible. Particularly with a family history.

Mum has always been on my back to have children early. My nana was only 40 when she went through menopause after having 11 kids.

I remember reading somewhere that you are only born with a certain number of eggs and that this can be inherited and as I started getting my period at 10 where as my mum was 18... If that is true it would make sense that I am reaching the end...

It doesn't happen all at once though does it, it's more of a gradual thing right? I'm off to do some more googling

Hi Michelle
    Menopause would be very unusual at your age although not unknown. There are many other problems that could cause your symptoms. I would suggest that you go to see your doctor, don’t mention menopause but tell him/her what your symptoms are. Your doctor could then do the appropriate tests.

Thanks Alan I appreciate your input!

Oops I mean Saram
    Sorry
    Its bedtime

How are you going honey?

I've been having similar concerns so I saw a Dr. Funnily enough she didn't mention menopause but she sent me off for thyroid tests and some other blood work and a pap smear.
    I saw a POAS menopause test in the chemist a while ago - no idea how accurate it is.

It's funny I always thought menopause would be great. No period and no need for birth control but now I think I'm not quite ready for it.