Thread: How soon after having a baby can you get your period?

Default How soon after having a baby can you get your period?

(TMI warning)

I was just wondering, as when I went to the toilet last and wiped I was bleeding - not heavy, but dark red blood - and I only had my baby 5 weeks and 5 days ago. Is it possible that this is my period? I didn't realise it could happen this quickly.

Every one is different.
    Some go months, some are regular from the start.
    BFing kept AF away this time for 9 months, but others have regular AF even with BFing. Others can go a few months without BFing.
    It could also still be a bit of lochia. Mine didn't stop this time around til DS was 8 weeks old.

After DD1 it returned pretty much the next month (hence me falling pregnant with DD2) and their 11 month age gap.

After DD2 it returned 6 weeks post birth

After DS is was around 7 weeks post birth

The main difference was DD2 and DS were BF or i was expressing....DD1 pretty much was on formula from day 2.

So to answer you question, yes AF can return so soon!

selina if your exclusively breastfeeding then id contact your dr or hospital, you 'shouldnt' get your period back yet if your feeding around the clock, its still possible you have, but id get that checked out!!

I got mine 8 weeks afterwards.

How long did you bleed for PP? I bleed on and off 6 weeks. Each time I thought it ws gone I'd bleed again, especially if I had been exerting myself rather than resting for a few days in a row. How long ago did you stop bleeding?

Thanks for your replies.

My post-birth bleeding seemed to finish about 4ish weeks after and was mostly clear/yellow discharge towards the end. So, it's been a few weeks of no bleeding at all. I am exclusively breastfeeding. I have my 6 week post-natal check in 2 days, so I guess I'll ask my dr then.

Definitely ask the doctor, but don't be surprised if it is AF. I'm pretty sure that mine came back around 6 weeks with all three girls. I also bled for about 3-4 weeks or so, then it tapered off, and stopped, and then around 6 weeks there was new AF-ish bleeding. I didn't have regular cycles right away, but every once in a while, AF would re-appear. Sometimes once a month, sometimes skipping a month, (break out the pregnancy tests!), sometimes light, sometimes heavy. I was fully breastfeeding each time too. My cycle became somewhat regular again after I weaned my babies.
    Some of us just don't get a break.
    Last edited by Cricket; March 25th, 2009 at 12:13 PM.

I got my period when my daughter was 4 weeks old exactly. And I was breastfeeding exclusively! So be VERY careful if you are not planning on having another one straight away!

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I beld PP on and off for 12 weeks. I had a implanon put in at my 6 week check up so I'm not sure if that contributed to the length of my bleeding. I also had a difficult birth and I couldn't sit or stand for long periods of time for 12 weeks.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me. I stopped PP bleeding at 5 weeks, then one week later (right after my 6 week check up), it started again. I wasn't sure if it was AF or lochia. I phoned my OB's clinic and the nurse said to just wait and see what happened and that it could be AF back already, but they didn't seem too concerned about it. Anyway, DD is now over 13 months, I am still BFing and I have not had another AF since! And no, I am not preggers either!

I bled for 4 weeks after DD and then the next month got my period and now it is as regular as clock work! So yes you can!!

My Lochia finished 2-3 weeks after birth and I got my period back 4-5 weeks after birth. I was so annoyed because I was expecting not to get it back because I was BF-ing (well sort-of I was expressing and BF-ing with help)

paradise lost Guest

I had lochia until 5 weeks then a week off then AF. She was back to stay, i had her every 28 days from then on. I exclusively BF for 4 months and 3 weeks, and then BFed a t least some milk every day until 7 months, so i was bummed! LOL. My mum was the same, she got PG within 6 weeks of birth twice (3 bubs in 3 years) before she stopped believing "You can't get PG if you BF" which the midwives KEPT telling her, even after #2 was born. Some people just aren't very sensitive to prolactin (the hormone which powers milk supply and in many women stops ovulation too).

Bx

AF loves me apparently. It doesnt matter how often I bf - she is back 25 days later - even if my PP bleeding has only just stopped 3 days ago! Apparently my cycle wont be messed with! It can happen.